L3 build - 8 inch Madcow Pike

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's right, I am only coding the ones that have to come off before flight . The green ones are to help it unfurl in an orderly way and pop off easily . The places I put the red bands would keep it from catching air and inflating.

pike0136.jpgpike0137.jpgpike0138.jpgpike0140.jpg

I tinned the ends, slid on the ferrules then heated with soldering iron. Then I crimped the ferrules, I really liked the way they came out.

That looks really nice. I see slotted machine screw heads on each side of the bulkhead. Is that like a three part system; two very short slotted screws each mated by a nut in the center of the bulkhead? Or, maybe I'm just totally missing something :eyepop:.

That looks really nice. I see slotted machine screw heads on each side of the bulkhead. Is that like a three part system; two very short slotted screws each mated by a nut in the center of the bulkhead? Or, maybe I'm just totally missing something :eyepop:.

That is a 8-32 brass threaded insert with #8 x 3/16" long binding screws from each side. the ring terminals will get a coat of liquid electrical tape and after I connect the E-matches on the outside a piece of duct tape will cover the screws to prevent a quick link from shorting it out. This is a test and I still have a set of bulkheads drilled for every thing except the wire connections if I change my mind.

Last edited:
That is a 8-32 brass threaded insert with #8 x 3/16" long binding screws from each side. the ring terminals will get a coat of liquid electrical tape and after I connect the E-matches on the outside a piece of duct tape will cover the screws to prevent a quick link from shorting it out. This is a test and I still have a set of bulkheads drilled for every thing except the wire connections if I change my mind.

Cool. Good idea and it looks really clean.

This weeks goal is catching up on the documentation, I especially need to work on checklists. It is not the kind of thing that lends itself to interesting pictures so it probably will be a quiet week for posting but I am making good progress towards a Sept launch. I plan on ground testing it on July 11 at the Hearne, Texas launch and then starting on prepping for paint .

Decals on order from Mark at Stickershock23, I am very glad his wife is doing better and that my project wont have to fly without his touch. I had my own fight with cancer (lymphoma) a few years back so I know the struggle and rejoice with anyone who beats my old enemy.

Switches mounted, just waiting on the really bright LEDs from MARSA. Got a lot done on my docs. I plan a little prepping for paint in the morning with a few pictures.

IMG_1576-2.jpg
Finished! The wires coming out of the vent hole are for ground testing next Saturday. Then on to painting. I have the decals from Mark at Stickershock23 and I have decided to stick with the same sunburst orange I used on the 5.5 Pike . I like what I like.

Friday's task is figuring the best way to haul the beast in my truck and Saturday's is ground testing at Hearne TX . I turned some 3" diameter nylon on the lathe to fit the 75mm/7680 case to simulate the propellant weight and it came out pretty close to the right weight . I will post pictures of it this week-end.

Those nylon grains can be used for a hybrid! Don't ask how I know :).

pike0153.jpg

Ready to ground test. My drogue charge was perfect, The parts separated about 7 feet. The main charge was over zealous moving the nose about 25 feet .
the loaded weight was 85 lbs and loaded CG was 89 inches.

That is one serious X-stand!

Wish I could come down to Texas to watch this thing go up, but I'll settle for video. :)

When it is in the garage I have three or four folding chairs set-up at different places and I feel like I am channeling Robert Goddard when I work on it. When they catch me with the door open the twin five year olds down the street offer me their cat or sister as an astronaut.

pike0163.jpg

These are the solid nylon slugs I turned down to fit the 75mm case to match the weight of a loaded motor. It probably wasn't worth the effort but I wanted an accurate CG.

Today's update : I left the rocket at the auto body shop to be painted sunburst orange like the 5.5 Pike of mine. It should be back in two weeks, the cost was a little more than the M1850 for the first flight. I told my wife that fiberglass expands and contacts with temperature and can change with humidity and since it is 100 degrees in the garage it will need to stay in the house to acclimate to temps closer to Black rock, so I can be sure of the fit of slip joints before I go. She said it can have the guest room till time to go.

Robert,,
That beast is gorgeous...
I can't believe I missed this thread..
The Pike is one of the sexiest rockets around
and that's the biggest Pike I've ever seen...
Way too cool..
Man do I wish I could see that flight...

All the best of luck Robert...
The flight is going to go perfect...
Just super attention to detail...

Teddy

Ted,
Thanks for the comments, your shock cords are in every build I have done since I first saw your products.

Ted,
Thanks for the comments, your shock cords are in every build I have done since I first saw your products.

Yes Robert,,
I am aware...
THANK YOU VERY MUCH...
I absolutely can't believe I missed this thread...
I just said in another thread about the same rocket but a smaller one,,,
this ( to me) is about the sexiest rocket that ever flew...
This is the biggest one I've ever seen..
And the build is CLEAN,,, NEAT,, METICULOUS.....
Just absolutely beautiful...
Good for you man..
You just wait,,
all of your hard work and attention to every little thing...
Wait till launch day...
It's going to be a flawless flight...........

Teddy

Todays update: Primed and sanded ready for color coats. I verified color code with the painter yesterday, after he puts on the color I will take it home for a day to apply vinyl then back for clear. Pictures soon .

Two coats of sunburst orange on and I have a light spot on one fin. I get a pint more paint on Monday and then apply the vinyl from Stickershock23 on Tuesday night, clear coating then it is Done! Just planning for the Balls trip left. I got a great deal on a 98mm/7680 hardware, I was looking for something larger but this was to good a deal to pass up. It adds some interesting motor choices later, I am still using my 75mm/7680 case and M1850W I got from PyroBob .

Back