AIM-9M Sidewinder Steering Canard Aerodynamics Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony Bean

Reaction score
I like to build my rockets to scale. I am working on an AIM-9M Sidewinder Missile project and the thing that makes the sidewinder a great short range missile provides a serious problem for model rocket builders. The front fins pull the CP forward dramatically. In my analysis, the shift in CP can be overcome by shifting the CG using nose weight when the canards are fixed to the rocket body. Unfortunately, the amount of weight required is far greater than I care or want to add to the rocket.

None.jpg

One of the things I thought about doing was to build the canards as free floating. They would be able to move at any angle of attack. I would use bearing sets to allow each of the four canards free and easy movement. In my thinking this would significantly reduce (but not eliminate) the aerodynamic effects of the canard and thus reduce the amount of weight required to bring the CG forward. The problem is I cannot find any mathematics to allow me to calculate the effective fin area for a given angle of attack at a given speed in a free floating envelope. Canards are designed to be fixed or movable to affect airflow, not hide from it. The flight envelope will be subsonic so I don't have to worry about transonic issues.

So I am hoping someone could give me some insight from a similar attempt or equations that may be applied.

Great information! Well I guess I better get to building a test prototype. I have spent a great deal of time in thought experiments regarding this issue and it's nice to see some validation. One of the difficulties, as I have mentioned, is that canard design is based on fixed or moving surfaces to affect a change to the aircraft in flight. Finding design information for canards that minimize their effect on aircraft flight is nigh impossible.

Another good article. So it appears I am on the right track. Thanks for the info.

I like to build my rockets to scale. I am working on an AIM-9M Sidewinder Missile project and the thing that makes the sidewinder a great short range missile provides a serious problem for model rocket builders. The front fins pull the CP forward dramatically. In my analysis, the shift in CP can be overcome by shifting the CG using nose weight when the canards are fixed to the rocket body. Unfortunately, the amount of weight required is far greater than I care or want to add to the rocket.

None.jpg

One of the things I thought about doing was to build the canards as free floating. They would be able to move at any angle of attack. I would use bearing sets to allow each of the four canards free and easy movement. In my thinking this would significantly reduce (but not eliminate) the aerodynamic effects of the canard and thus reduce the amount of weight required to bring the CG forward. The problem is I cannot find any mathematics to allow me to calculate the effective fin area for a given angle of attack at a given speed in a free floating envelope. Canards are designed to be fixed or movable to affect airflow, not hide from it. The flight envelope will be subsonic so I don't have to worry about transonic issues.

So I am hoping someone could give me some insight from a similar attempt or equations that may be applied.

I am also somewhat of a Scale nut:
I've been working on several AIM-9b and AIM-9L Sidewinders to be mounted on a 1:18th scale F104 Starfighter flying PMC.
I'm using exactly the scheme you are thinking about. all four forward fins are mounted in pairs on rotating Stainless steel wire shafts. So far the swing test have proven the design will work with only minimal added nose weight.

MM 410uc02a_Sidewinder AIM-9L 12pc Nose Section & Fins_09-24-14.jpg

MM 410uc02b_Sidewinder AIM-9L Forward FreeSpin Fins_09-24-14.jpg

MM 410uc02c_Sidewinder AIM-9L_Free-swing forward Fins_09-24-14.jpg

MM 410uc02d_Sidewinder AIM-9L Fin hubs added_10-01-14.jpg

MM 410uc06_Sidewinder AIM-9L on WingTip Rack_09-28-14.jpg

MM 410uc07_Sidewinder AIM-9L_Primed for sanding_03-21-15.jpg

Back