Estes Baby Bertha E-Powered Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Rocketman

Reaction score
I couldn't resist building an E-powered Baby Bertha to match my E-powered Big Bertha. The balsa fins will be laminated using the paper/Elmer's Glue method coated with two coats of Aeropxy laminating resin. The body tube will also be coated with two coats of laminating resin to strengthen it up and smooth out the spirals. I will replace the standard C-motor mount with a custom built heavy duty E-motor mount using Estes 24mm thick wall motor mount tubing, plywood centering rings and an Estes 24mm positive motor retainer. The factory chute will be replaced with a Top Flight 9" thin mill nylon rip stop parachute. 2 oz. of clay nose weight will be utilized in the nose cone to maintain CG/CP at a safe point. After running sims in Open Rocket, I obtained these results:

Estes E12-8 Black Powder Motor

Apogee: 1672 ft.
Maximum Speed: 325 mph

Can't wait to see this baby fly.

I built one with just "plain" balsa and yellow glue (w/29mm mount). Didn't even paper the fins. Flew it a couple of times on a BP F15-6. OR says it should hit about 2100 feet. Recovered it on a flameproof crepe paper streamer. I don't think I'd fly it on other than fairly still days - I don't like walking. If we've got kids to chase it next time we fly, I may put it up on a composite motor.

I am building one to fly on D power right now and don't really plan anything special in the way of construction may use a balsa NC with a little weight other than that just fly it and see.

PYRO1962

Flying it on a a big 24mm F composite motor is my goal. Because of the fin design, I wanted to strengthen the fins up for harder landings because I want to be able to bring the rocket down quickly on a small chute or a streamer w/o breaking a fin. Our winds vary down here....sometimes perfectly still....sometime blowing/gusting to the maximum safe wind speeds, depending on the weather conditions and time of year.

Sweet........this is my first Baby Bertha rocket to fly. I like going high and fast myself with whatever rocket I build.

Sweet........this is my first Baby Bertha rocket to fly. I like going high and fast myself with whatever rocket I build.

Well, if you put a bigger motor tube in, you can always adapt down to a smaller engine. It's hard to stuff a 29mm motor in a 24mm mount.

In another post I was describing the removable cluster mod I want to build to give my BB a little more height without making permanent mods to the rocket. I feel the same way about BB, it should have more height. I hope it went well.

Back