Freezer/Frig odor HELP!!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty Dog

Reaction score
What is wrong with me frig???
The only way to explain it..it smells like FREEZER real bad.
Its not spoiled food smell, more like AC ????
Its seems to be working just fine,so Im not sure about a leak of any kind.
The odor started last week and got bad quick.
I pulled everything out of the frig and freezer and washed it all down.
Pulled it out from the wall and its clean(we vac the back often).
Long story short...the odor is back.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
After you open it,you can smell the odor in the room.
OH YA..it makes anything not sealed completely taste like crap.

Whats up with this thing?

try putting an open box of baking soda in it to adsorb the odor (change boxes once a month). assuming that it isn't the old style...sounds like something got into one of the ducts.
Rex

Describe the smell better. Mildewy? Check defroster drain path for smell/clog.

Hey bro, don't know what kind of fridge ya got , but if it has drawers(sure you cleaned those out) pull them out and clean under them and the bottoms of them. Sounds like that meat juice smell thing going on. Same thing happens with freezer burned meat and fish in particular. I know it's not the marsh melons, they just get better with time. If you got an ice maker, dump the ice and let it cycle a few times. In the winter folks don't use ice as much and it tends to ---hmmmmm---dry out and shrink. anything in the ice is concentrated and stinks.Also the ice will pick up and hold any bad smell the system has !!!!---Hope this helps buddy---might send you down the right road !!--H

try putting an open box of baking soda in it to adsorb the odor (change boxes once a month). assuming that it isn't the old style...sounds like something got into one of the ducts.
Rex
We do the baking soda.

Describe the smell better. Mildewy? Check defroster drain path for smell/clog.
Kind of has a sweet smell to it. I guess that (drains) would be the next step. To me anywhoo, it doesn't seem to be a mildewy odor. I thought it was some older apples we had in the crisper.
I don't know???

Hey bro, don't know what kind of fridge ya got , but if it has drawers(sure you cleaned those out) pull them out and clean under them and the bottoms of them. Sounds like that meat juice smell thing going on. Same thing happens with freezer burned meat and fish in particular. I know it's not the marsh melons, they just get better with time. If you got an ice maker, dump the ice and let it cycle a few times. In the winter folks don't use ice as much and it tends to ---hmmmmm---dry out and shrink. anything in the ice is concentrated and stinks.Also the ice will pick up and hold any bad smell the system has !!!!---Hope this helps buddy---might send you down the right road !!--H[/QUOTE0
Ya that's what Im smelling...freezer burn smell,old ice, heck, everything is picking up this smell.
HM, I can ship the crap in the freezer out to the freezer on the porch. See if that makes a diff.
We did throw some older items out,but it still stinks.

If ya got the bad stuff out of the box, the smell will stay a while. It's in the air system and the surface of the plastic. Wash it down with a --LITE- bleach and water mix and then use the baking soda as a final fix. best bet is to loose everything in the fridge and give it a couple days---the bleach smell will stay with the food as well-----You'll need to open it up for a couple hours just to let it air out!!

Do you work in "waste management"? And are you a guy who "makes problems disappear"? Well, when you "take care" of that "thing" --- you know, that "thing" we talked about? When you "take care" of it, don't store the "problem" in the fridge. Just "take care of it" and then "make it disappear".

If ya got the bad stuff out of the box, the smell will stay a while. It's in the air system and the surface of the plastic. Wash it down with a --LITE- bleach and water mix and then use the baking soda as a final fix. best bet is to loose everything in the fridge and give it a couple days---the bleach smell will stay with the food as well-----You'll need to open it up for a couple hours just to let it air out!!

I won't get into gory details, but the snake food (mice and rats) thawed and got nasty when we moved to our new house several years ago. (Yes, I forgot to plug it in when the freezer got put in the garage.) :facepalm: Bleach and the massive cleaning-sized box of baking soda did wonders. The freezer will absorb odors, but they will go away with time when the offending items are removed.

Doug

Back