Carbon Fiber Tissue?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks like it would be scratchy and hard on the nose:). wonder if it could be used with white glue to 'paper' fins.
Rex

Haha agreed! :)

As for using white glue, I'm not entirely sure. It'd be an interesting experiment! I'm actually thinking of buying some of it to see how well it works with stuff like that if nobody has used it before. The stuff sure is thin though. The smallest size is .0022" thick!

White glue would not do the CF tissue justice.
White glue stays flexible. You need epoxy or polyester resin to stiffen the CF.
I have never used it but, did consider it.
It only meant for a surface veil coating, Gel coats and what not.

JD

For T2T it would be worthless. As JD said, it is for a surface layer to help prevent print through of a fabric to the surface. It can be useful on occasion where one wants a little harder surface without much weight. Such as, bagging on the surface of balsa much like papering fins. But the paper would be much stronger and quite a bit smoother. I find it a good material for surface layer on molded Rohacell DLG tails (a type of high performance radio controlled glider for which I do a great deal of aero designing).

The problem with these sorts of material is the unoriented nature of the fibers and the low fiber density. Unoriented fibers contribute very little structurally. Not having a lot of them means it contributes even less. Think of this material as a cool looking holder for a film of epoxy and you get the picture.

Gerald

Back