AT G76-7G deployment at burnout

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisAttebery

Reaction score
This weekend I had my first early deployment in about 15 years. I've probably built a dozen of these 29/40-120 motors in the last year without any issues. My son's Ventris lept off the pad and then the chute deployed right at burnout. The rocket suffered from a 2-3" zipper. The tea bag shock cord mount held up and actually prevented the zipper from being any longer that it was. I believe I built the motor per the instructions. I took a picture of the delay end of the motor before I cleaned the case. It looks like the delay liner burned up the side. I'm not sure how that would have made the ejection charge go off. Maybe I didn't have enough grease on the o-ring?

IMG_2875[1].jpg

Last edited:
How many flights do you have on that casing? Maybe the front closure leaked due to worn threads. Since you're a L2, my guess is that it's not anything that you did...

I had the same issue last year. Unfortunately I couldn't find the packaging, but the charge fired right at burnout.

First clip here: [video=youtube;GqDspmZ5zUU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqDspmZ5zUU[/video]

Nate

I'm no expert on this but have flown a small number of the G76 Greens with good success. From your photo it looks like the is a snake like "soot trail" up the side of the delay grain insulator as if the fire managed to travel up the side. Weird?

Thanks for posting.

I'm no expert on this but have flown a small number of the G76 Greens with good success. From your photo it looks like the is a snake like "soot trail" up the side of the delay grain insulator as if the fire managed to travel up the side. Weird?

Thanks for posting.

I see that too, but the delay o-ring should seal anything below it, that is what it is there for.

Back