$40 (US source) GPS tracker

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATE: Used the GPS Tracker (Tracker) this past weekend with excellent results. Flew the rocket in my avatar photo (4" upscale of AT's Warthog) on a J-295 to just under 5000' in fairly heavy upper level winds. At apogee, she popped her drogue and streaked across the flight line laterally with the wind. With a main deployed at 500', she landed about 1/8 mile from the pad. Though I had a pretty good idea of her exact location, I called the Tracker and it texted me back with LAT/LON and the usual link to Google Maps with a pin dropped on the rocket's location. I walked to the rocket, following my blue dot on the map until it reached the rockets Pin drop. It couldn't have been any easier.

Also flew a 3" Patriot on an I-170 to 2900' with the Tracker on board. This rocket landed within 50' of the pad, but I called the Tracker to verify operation, and it put the pin just feet from the pads.

Two more successful flights with the tracker, and the modifications made to tighten up the SIM card in the tray seem to be good. More flights will tell, and I'll post as they progress.

S

Isn't the network required to use these --2G-- shortlisted for obsolescence?

Later!

--Coop

Mornin Coop,

I've heard rumors to that effect, and a little research shows that AT&T will phase out Second Generation (2G) service in early 2017. So, I've got just under two years with this tracker. By then, I'll have probably switched to something smaller, lighter, and more effective for me... For now, however, this is working VERY well.

EDIT: I just ran a quick internet search, and there are newer models than mine that look the same (similar to the 808 cameras that have about 20 versions that all look the same). I am using a model TK102b as far as I know, but the documentation is not super clear, might be a TK102c, which is compatible with 3G SIM cards. With that said, mine works fine with a 3G/4G SIM card.

In the online search, however, I'm seeing models TK104, TK105, and TK106. At least the 106 lists it as 3G compatible, but again, I'm having no issues with the 102...

S

Last edited:
I understand different carriers run different cellular networks, and that this thing is good for AT&T and T-Mobile, but not Verizon. Now, if I were to get one, and get the pay-as-you-go thing through, say, AT&T, would I need an AT&T compatible phone to get the sim activated?

Later!

--Coop

That's really a 2-part question:

1) Activation can be done without a phone, AT&T compatible or otherwise. AT&T is happy to sell you the service whether you use it or not, right?

2) To get your online account working so that you can add minutes to the account to make the SIM card/tracker combination work when you need it WILL require that you be able to receive a text message to the SIM card that you've activated. I happened to have an AT&T iPhone that is my primary phone, but I sense that you could slip the SIM card into a friend's phone long enough to get the password downloaded to change your AT&T password for online account access and you'll be fine. The reason for this is they give you a temporary password for the new account via text. You take that number to the online site to add minutes and log in with it (Username=phone number; Password=what they send you via text). Once you log in, you then change the Password to something unique.

With that said, and like I said in my long update on p1, that was the single most difficult part of the process, just figuring out how to do that. Once I realized that I just needed to get that new SIM card in a device that could receive a text message, I was fine.

Now, to the compatibility issue that might be a logical question for users of say Verizon phones that don't use SIM cards. The systems are separate, just like my iPhone has its own account, and your Verizon/Sprint/Ntelos phone has its own account. Once the SIM card is up and working, the Tracker is just like another phone account. You can call it and receive messages from it.

And, that's how the Tracker works. Obviously, cell coverage is a key component of this equation. So make sure, especially if you're using two different carries to make this system work for you, that you have good cell coverage at the launch site for your phone and the Tracker. If they're both AT&T, then you'll only need AT&T coverage, but if you're using Verizon for your phone and AT&T for the Tracker, then you'd need good coverage for both carriers...

S

Last edited:
Thank you, Sammy. That will be exactly my situation should I pursue this route --Verizon phone, AT&T tracker. Where I would be using it primarily (almost exclusively) has good coverage for both (or it did when I had AT&T), so I'm covered there (I'm pretty sure AT&T's coverage hasn't gotten worse in the greater Centreville metropolitan area since that time).

You mentioned adding minutes to the SIM card. Only person I know on AT&T is my ex-wife and I'm pretty extra-special sure she won't be interested in helping me in this endeavor. Would one of the storefronts be able to add minutes to the SIM if I just brought it in, or would it be better to get an ubercheap phone through them for only this purpose?

Later!

--Coop

Good morning Coop,

You could go that route, getting the cheap phone, but frankly, I'd just ask a friend first. If that doesn't work, buy a cheap AT&T compatible phone (even an old flip phone) from Ebay for $5 or so. All you need it for is that ONE text message to get the temporary password so you can change it online. They MAY even help you with that in the AT&T store if you explain to them what you're doing - I didn't know to do that because I was completely ignorant of how to add minutes. Either way, you've got to get that text to add minutes beyond what you buy when you set the account up.

For what it's worth, I bought $25 worth of airtime/minutes/whatever they call them on about April 3rd in the store when I set the account up. That works out to 125 text messages. As of today, after at least 30 ground tests, 30 or so show-and-tell sessions with folks interested in the unit, about 7 flights, and a number of messages that come from the unit alerting me to things like a low battery, and SOS calls, duplicate messages sometimes, I still have $4.20 available, enough for 21 texts to me with location of the unit.

There is something worth noting on the AT&T prepaid plans that I had sorta forgotten about. The prepaid minutes/time do/does expire. They had about ten different tiers of prepaid options for purchase when I signed up. I selected, for the first purchase, the one that gave me a little longer expiration with plenty of minutes to shake this down (the $25 tier). The minutes expire 07/02/2015, but clearly I'll use them before then. I'll probably do $25 again based on the options AT&T shows on the refill page that looks like this (there were only 3 options on this page):

Refill expiration is based on your refill amount:
· $10 - $24 = 30 days
· $25 - $99 = 90 days
· $100 = 1 year

I think the 30 day window is too short, but the $100 amount would not expire for a year, and that would put me pretty close to my actual usage so far this year. Considering that much of that was testing though, I'm going to try $25 again this round.

Sam

Last edited:
Very good to know--thanks so much!

Later!

--Coop

Sammy D;
When you txt the Tracker, what do you txt it? Is there a code to txt it to receive the location?

I call the Tracker; it has its own phone number. The SIM card in it is attached to a prepaid phone account, like an AT&T GoFone... When I call that number, I hear my phone "ringing" the other number. It answers and says "the number you have reached does not a voice mailbox that has been set up yet", and it hangs up on me as it should. Seconds later, my phone receives a text message from the Tracker with the information and link to Google maps.

Thanks Sammy,
Maybe I haven't set up all the way.
Got the AT&T card setup at the store , when I call it it does the same" mailbox not setup...goodbye" but no txt back from the unit. Did you originally have anything like that?

Read the instructions. It is not recognizing your phone number as an authorized phone number most likely. There are a couple of ways to change it as I recall: 1) you can text the information to the Tracker, or (if memory serves) 2) call the unit 10 times in a row. I remember calling mine 10 times in a row........ Look in the manual (online is easier to read). See a manual here:

https://gpsrf.ru/download/UserManual_TK102B_eng.pdf

NOTE: Pay very close attention to the format for sending data to the unit. You may or may not wish to change the p/w for making changes to the unit; I did, but default is 123456. This is all explained in the manual. For example "password"+"phonenumber" means that you send
the six digit password (I used my birthday dates in 2-digit, 031568) followed by the 10-digit phone number. The manual explains how to handle the " " marks and the + sign too. In scanning the link to the manual I'm giving you above, it seems a slight bit different from the one I downloaded, but a little trial and error goes a long way. Just remember your PW if you change it, and WRITE IT DOWN. Without it, you can't make any changes to the unit.

A few other things: there is no need that I could discern to set up street addressing, overspeed, geotracking, or really any of the other features that the unit is capable of and that can be customized. With the password change, my authorized phone number, and the time stamp for the correct time zone, it gives me everything that I want the unit to send me: LAT/LON, TIME/DATE, and LINK to Google Maps.

In case you missed it in an earlier post in this thread, the time zone is set relative to GMT. For the east coast of the US (EST), this is GMT -4 (hours) for summer/daylight savings time and GMT -5 (hours) for fall/winter/spring. GMT is the reference point. Updating the time, or any command that changes settings, will get a text confirmation back if successful. Then test it.

Hope that help!

Sam

Last edited:
Is the MASTER NUMBER the cell number assigned to the unit or your cell phone that will be calling and txting it? Ive been messing with it all day - the tracker app - tracks my cell phone not the GPS device. Also it will not respond with a txt when attempting to initialize it.

- If I call tracker from my cell - it rings and says that 'voice mail not setup goodbye" but I do not receive any txt for location.
- I have 2 trackers - ive tried both of them (so had to go to ATT store to put sim in tracker 2 so the IMEI number would be recognized - still having problems
- I did receive MASTER NUMBER SET and the language change to english but now nothing. B
i really just need to start completely over, any help would be greatly appreciated or these are going in the burn pile.
I am going on 9 hours working on these and 3 trips to AT&T store which is some distance

I am sorry to hear of your troubles. Will be following with interest.

Later!

--Coop

Is the MASTER NUMBER the cell number assigned to the unit or your cell phone that will be calling and txting it? Ive been messing with it all day - the tracker app - tracks my cell phone not the GPS device. Also it will not respond with a txt when attempting to initialize it.

- If I call tracker from my cell - it rings and says that 'voice mail not setup goodbye" but I do not receive any txt for location.
- I have 2 trackers - ive tried both of them (so had to go to ATT store to put sim in tracker 2 so the IMEI number would be recognized - still having problems
- I did receive MASTER NUMBER SET and the language change to english but now nothing. B
i really just need to start completely over, any help would be greatly appreciated or these are going in the burn pile.
I am going on 9 hours working on these and 3 trips to AT&T store which is some distance

Bummer, I feel your pain. I was applying epoxy to the big capacitor on a Raven III and used a simple spring clamp. Clamp slipped, grated across the SMT board and now the device cuts in and out with jiggling. Something is dorked and likely the device is not
flyable.

Might consider an EggFinder setup, have it built and be fully independent from an outside provider. If you paid $80.00 for two trackers that would have covered 2/3rds of the alternative cost not including the time you expended.
Then again, if your main flying site has good cell coverage, the cell tracker, might be all you need. Kurt

Lol, yea I should've done it right the first time. But glad Sammy and Winston get good use, for me likely operator error. I've got so much time in getting this to work I don't want to give up. So fist through the wall or move on :). But I wanted to use them for a couple other things but it's all good.

I had a zoom back a few years ago when my wife running a marathon and that worked great so I suspect this could work similar.

Sorry for the delay - haven't been on TRF in a few days/weeks. Ok Nick, here's what I THINK is your problem:

I don't think it's recognizing your phone number. The GPS Tracker has some sort of a memory module/chip in it that MUST recognize YOUR phone number (the one you call from) as an authorized number. From my investigation and tinkering with mine and one from another guy in my club, this is clearly NOT stored on the SIM card. So, see my post a few prior up the page for how to set this authorized phone number for the Tracker to recognize the phone from which you are calling the Tracker. Once this is done, it SHOULD be ok.

But make sure you read through the manual for this unit and understand what the strange little caveats mean in the Chinese-English translation. For example, to send a command to the Tracker, for mine, it must go in this format: "admin"+"password" However, the manual states that I don't add the " "s or the + symbol. They are just there for understanding. Other commands have a space between the information being sent via text. So, my suggestion is to read the manual carefully, highlighting sections you may need to refer back to. Make sure that you understand how to make changes to the Tracker profile before you make a password change too just to be sure you don't lock yourself out of the unit. Factory preset on the password for three of these units I've seen was "123456" (without the quotes of course).

I'm trying to attach a copy of my manual here in PDF format. It will print on 8.5 x 11 paper in full size and is much easier to use than the micro manual supplied with the unit.View attachment GPS User Manual - TK102b.pdf

One last thing: It is clear to me as well that there are numerous makers of this unit in the Far East, and they vary slightly though the outward appearance is similar. Opening my unit and comparing it to two others I have seen, they show slight variations though the operation was essentially the same. One asked for the # sign before and after commands like the ADMIN example above. So, it's going to take a little tinkering maybe. ON THE UPSIDE, EVERY SUCCESSFUL CHANGE TO THE TRACKER WILL GET A CONFIRMATION TEXT SENT TO YOU. If you change the time for example, it will text back "Time OK", etc.

Sam

Update 2015.06.15:

Flew my 3" Patriot on June 06, 2015 to just under 4800ft on a CTI J-290 with about 20mph winds in the altitude to which she flew. So, my descent took me downrange a little more than I cared for AND taking her behind a small cloud too. Since she's kinda small at 42" long and 3" in diameter, we lost her above about 4000', but heard the drogues fire at apogee, then the mains fire about 1/4 mile away before she touched down on the Fentress runway :-( :-(

Though I could see the rocket on the ground, I called the onboard Tracker, and it replied with a text as it should showing the rocket on the runway in the Google Maps screen about 1/3 way down the runway. I pushed the button to show my current location in Google Maps and could have followed the path straight to the rocket had I needed to.

This was only one more successful Tracker flight, but I'm having good success with this device.

Last edited:
That's why I and others have said to check for the availability of that service where you launch.
Winston - what's your opinion/experience of cell coverage at the NXRS/Brothers, OR site? AT&T? Verizon? Others??

I've been glancing at some of the radio based locators, but keep running into HAM license requirements....this would seem to provide a non-licensed alternative for finding those 'outta sight!' launches.

Winston - what's your opinion/experience of cell coverage at the NXRS/Brothers, OR site? AT&T? Verizon? Others??

I've been glancing at some of the radio based locators, but keep running into HAM license requirements....this would seem to provide a non-licensed alternative for finding those 'outta sight!' launches.

As long as you have cellphone coverage you'll be in good shape. You don't have to be a ham anymore with a an EggFinder with an LCD unit. The major problem there for some is building the thing. At $120.00 for an unlicensed
real time GPS tracker is alot better than what it was 7 years ago.

$40.00 for a cellphone tracker is great too as long as one has the local coverage they need to find it.

One advantage to a real time tracker is one can follow the rocket in flight and know where to look for the expected main deployment. If it's still unseen, one can tell by the altitude/rate of descent that the main is out and can expect
to be able to find the rocket intact. Peace of mind. Also, in the "rare" situation of a major anomaly, (ie. core sample) one might have enough tracking information to get to the approximate crash site to pick up the pieces.
With a phone tracker, if there is a malfunction of the device on a "sight unseen" flight, might be difficult to locate if the device cannot "phone home".

Still, I'm for anything that allows for ease of recovery. Kurt

The major problem there for some is building the thing.
Wow, I like the EggFinder https://www.eggtimerrocketry.com/Home_page_1.php, it's definitely easier to get into than the ham-licensed radios, but yes the DIY assembly is a steep learning curve for some. I've done some simple thru-the-hole component assembly, but there's lots of components and some appear to be surface-mount. I'm looking for the "Upgrade to Assembled" option on the Purchase page, not seeing it (extra $$ well spent in my case).

Thanks for the info on another locator option!

Thomas

Wow, I like the EggFinder https://www.eggtimerrocketry.com/Home_page_1.php, it's definitely easier to get into than the ham-licensed radios, but yes the DIY assembly is a steep learning curve for some. I've done some simple thru-the-hole component assembly, but there's lots of components and some appear to be surface-mount. I'm looking for the "Upgrade to Assembled" option on the Purchase page, not seeing it (extra $$ well spent in my case).

Thanks for the info on another locator option!

Thomas

Here you go:

https://eggassembly.webs.com/

Connor will put it together for you. You can order it and have it sent to him. Contact him about case arrangements if you get an EggFinder LCD. The LCD unit is the way to go. If one uses the Android app, GPS Rocket Locator and it
poops out on 'em, they can input the lat/long by hand into a handheld mapping GPS and still get to the rocket. Once the rocket touches down, one will lose the signal if it's far enough away. Go to the last known position packet and it's
usually close enough if you can't see the downed rocket, you'll get a new packet that will take you to it.

The Ham radio APRS method is just a notch above the Eggfinder in that there are two radios that will give Rolls-Royce receiving performance. The Yaesu VX-8GR (unfortunately OOP) and the Kenwood D72A. The Kenwood D7A(g) would work except it is very old and OOP too. I have two of the D7A(g)'s and they are unusable because the internal frequency oscillators have gone out of spec and not worth getting them fixed.
It takes one cable to interface with a Garmin 60Cs or CsX both GPS units of which can be had on ebay for a reasonable cost. One doesn't have to use Garmin maps and can simply download free Open Source maps here:

https://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/. Stick the file on the micro SD chip and put in the unit.

A single cable from the round port on the Garmin to the D72A or VX8GR and complete realtime tracking and navigation can be had. You can "lock" the rocket while it's on the pad and its position will be tracked in realtime along with
a "realtime" navigation solution TO the rocket. Once the rocket is down, the last known position is locked in the device and one can scroll to the navigation HSI (Heading Situation Indicator) screen and it will point you to the rocket.
Plus, it will do full naviation like telling you how long it will take you to "get" to the site at your current speed! Just follow the arrow. You can scroll back and forth from the map to the HSI to your heart's content.
I really like being able to follow the flight and at least be facing the direction where the main chute is expected to deploy. Gives one a chance to get a visual fix. The altitude readout is on the screen of the radio so one can judge
the rate of descent by how fast the altitude scrolls down. Add field elevation to the expected main altitude deployment and you know when it should blow.
I've tracked many flights besides my own and with some really high flying rockets that disappear, people are facing the wrong direction to pickup on the main event (because they simply can't tell). I can yell out and point where to look.

The round port cable that goes from the Garmin to the radio is the same for both the D72 and the VX8GR. You get the cable for the D72A and it works for the 8GR. https://www.gilssontechnologies.com/gagps4rococa.html
It's this cable: https://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/gilsson_2258_4971870

Yeah you need a ham Tech ticket and the 72A is $450.00. In the past the 60Csx was pushing $400.00 and you have to get an APRS tracker that can run from $130.00 to $250.00. The 60CsX one can probably get for $150.00 now
and an AP510 for a large rocket is around $130. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JLB94IS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

This looks like a lot of money but if you launch a rocket up worth >$400.00 of flight hardware and it goes sight unseen, recovering it intact makes the investment in the tracking system seem worthwhile.

Cripes, you pull this off with a $40.00 tracker you've recovered your investment in one flight.

Sooooo...................... The EggFinder/LCD is very attractive for a self contained unit for one who might be launching at a venue with spotty cell phone coverage and doesn't desire to get a ham license. I do both kinds of tracking with an EggFinder and APRS and I am very impressed with the EggFinder. Can't beat the startup cost for a self-contained GPS tracking system. Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:

Wow, nice option! Will definitely be talking to Connor in the not-too-distant future, as I just saw one of these in action: during NXRS, as I was trekking back through the 100+ degree desert with my not-quite-successful L1 attempt, Salvage-1 gave me a lift back in his pickup truck. As we started down the road, he and his mates proceeded to pull out an EggFinder LCD and show how they took the GPS coordinates it had last provided, and entered those coordinates into the pickup's Android-based stereo system, using the installed Google Maps app. Now, this was an amazing mashup of technologies that made for an incredibly mobile and accurate rocket-retrieving platform...I loved it!

Thanks again Kurt, great resource you provided.... :handshake:

Ok, I tried AT&T With issues, so I bought and setup T-mobile prepayed card and SIM card all setup

Now when I txt the tracker this what I get... You can see the tracker confirms that my cell number is properly setup as master. I txt "dw#" and I get a link
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1441306034.418708.jpg

When I click on this it brings up a "track anywhere" website map with only one Indicator, not the actual GPS coordinates.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Maybe something simply not setup properly on my tracker?

UPDATE; Disregard , got home and was able to test it and it does function maybe not 2 meters, more like 10 meters but close enough that I can easily hear it when I call.

Last edited:
After I txt dw#, I get google map coordinates. Finally!

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1441386514.201986.jpg

Still will look into BRB900 package and the Misslework RX but this was the missing link, now I'm not afraid to put a camera on and maybe hit the mile club.

After I txt dw#, I get google map coordinates. Finally!

Still will look into BRB900 package and the Misslework RX but this was the missing link, now I'm not afraid to put a camera on and maybe hit the mile club.

You start sending them outta sight and you'll need some sort of reliable tracking method. You lose visual the entire flight and you'll be in trouble. You can't go wrong with a BRB900 and the Missileworks solution looks very promising.
Kurt

You start sending them outta sight and you'll need some sort of reliable tracking method. You lose visual the entire flight and you'll be in trouble. You can't go wrong with a BRB900 and the Missileworks solution looks very promising.
Kurt

Why can't I find anything else on this Missileworks GPS?!?!

It's coming soon, he is testing more this weekend with CJ at Airfest, hopefully will hear shortly after?

As I have previously posted, I've been interested in this kind of setup. As the last couple projects have gotten bigger and heavier, I've been using a drogue at apogee, and at main deploy, ejecting the NC on a pilot and the main in a free bag, so the NC recovers separate from the rest of the rocket under its own chute (pilot).

I've been sizing the pilot to bring the NC down close to the same speed as the rest of the rocket under main, so that they land near each other. Thus far, it has worked well, but I can easily foresee a situation where the NC is lost --separation at apogee, for example. A locator such as this would be nice for extra insurance, in the event the NC can't be easily located.

I picked up a TK102b from Amazon for around $30, and a H20 sim card for a penny. Both arrived yesterday. The tracker came with two batteries, a charger, and two battery covers for the unit--one is magnetic, the other is not.

I paid $10 to activate the SIM card and get a phone number associated with it. I had to speak with someone on the phone to get this done, as following H20's voice prompts was, as most services like that are, frustrating as Hell for me. After I got a human, it was a simple process. $10 gets me 90 days of service. Texts are $0.05 each, so that's a lot of testing available. I saw little need for any more than that.

Once the phone number was activated, I followed the instructions to begin --the whole pound sign 123456 thing-- and got "begin ok" back. I did not set an admin phone number. This way, I can give the number to my girlfriend, son, buddy, whoever, and have it text them location if I am out recovering the main part. It's JUST a bit too big to fit in a 38mm tube, but it will fit in a 54mm easily. With a little playing around, I could transfer this between rockets at the field with ease.

Once I brought the unit outside, and called it, I received a text back with lat/long and a google maps link.

I think this is going to work quite well.

Later!

--Coop

Back