Post pics of your launch towers

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpitfield

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking for ideas to build a launch tower, materials, design, portability, quick change to accommodate different size rockets, etc. I am also looking for guidance (no pun intended) on what the proper lengths are for towers. I am assuming it is based on the same principle as a rail/rod, stable flight, however does the tower make a difference in calculating this.

Do the the vertical pieces rub against the airframe if so has anyone tried to line them with something like delrin on the inside of the vertical piece? The first thought that comes to mind is that the material would have to be able to handle some heat otherwise it would not be practice. I also want something that I can quickly convert while at the pad to accommodate different sized rockets, as small as 24mm up to 98mm.

Keep an eye out on the vendor section in the next couple days we will be releasing a tower that will accommodate 18mm to 75mm. There will be 2 versions one version that uses an existing pad with a 10/10 rail and the other uses guy wires. Here is a teaser

1428332495466.jpg

1428332517720.jpg

Keep an eye out on the vendor section in the next couple days we will be releasing a tower that will accommodate 18mm to 75mm. There will be 2 versions one version that uses an existing pad with a 10/10 rail and the other uses guy wires. Here is a teaser

Looks great and saves me from building one myself. I will keep an eye out for it.

One thing I have wondered about with these towers is does the rocket rub against the guides as it launches, if so does it cause any damage and what if anything have people tried to do about mitigating the rubbing. At least with the rail you have some clearance due to the buttons which depending on the rocket and rail buttons, can also act like stand-offs to a degree, although I have had some rubbing.

First, yes the rocket rubs against the vertical guides. Don't know if anyone has used Delrin, though have seen it discussed. Many simply ensure the vertical guide is smooth.

As for quickly changing the size for different rockets, I think you will have to define quick. Generally you want the rocket centered. I don't know how far off you can get before a problem arises, but the extreme would have a rocket with little lateral hold.

As for the length, that would follow the same rules as a rail or rod. Needs to be long enough for the rocket to accelerate to four times the highest wind speed.

So the rocket only has to be traveling 4mph at the end of the rod in a light breeze? :p

No, 4mph in dead still air. Good luck producing that. A slight breeze is often on the order of 5 mph and thus would exceed your forward speed.

I keep hitting your website and the vendor thread but no announcement yet? I need something by NYPOWER to accomodate a 54mmMD 77" rocket, so preferable an 8' tower, although a 6' would likely do it. Ideally you would have the ability to extend the tower when required so you could use it with a larger range of rocket/motor combinations.

Chicks dig guys who's rockets have tower scars on them.

Tony

Hahaha that is awesome!

Original poster,

You can read about one of mine here, in my build thread.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?67902-Versatility-Adjustable-Launch-Tower

14768649752_769bb8ecb2_c.jpg

And a photograph of it also.

Also here are some pics of two others I have built/building but never made a thread of them.

15175335747_c272a72c7e_c.jpg

This is one tower section that is 5ft tall, there are two sections totaling 10ft in height. Good for up to 98mm rockets.

16966626129_b8a76ba5ee_c.jpg

This is a more robust and less travel friendly design but it is good for rockets up to 6in in diameter. When finished it will be 12ft in height.

And that is it. I have only built 4 towers one not worth mentioning in my opinion.

.... one not worth mentioning in my opinion.

Speaking of towers not worth mentioning, here's mine from Balls a few years back. Picked up the 2x4's in Fernley and had the thing assembled in a few hours. Hit a weather delay and the rocket didn't fly, but it would've worked (I think).

Jim

Tower.jpg

First, yes the rocket rubs against the vertical guides. Don't know if anyone has used Delrin, though have seen it discussed. Many simply ensure the vertical guide is smooth.

As for quickly changing the size for different rockets, I think you will have to define quick. Generally you want the rocket centered. I don't know how far off you can get before a problem arises, but the extreme would have a rocket with little lateral hold.

As for the length, that would follow the same rules as a rail or rod. Needs to be long enough for the rocket to accelerate to four times the highest wind speed.
Only half right. The minimum rod velocity is whatever is required to be aerodynamically stable or 4 times the crosswind velocity to prevent severe weathercocking, whichever is larger.

A rule of thumb for minimum aerodynamic stability is 20 mph (30 fps) for a model rocket and 30 mph (45 fps) for a high power rocket.

Bob

Speaking of towers not worth mentioning, here's mine from Balls a few years back. Picked up the 2x4's in Fernley and had the thing assembled in a few hours. Hit a weather delay and the rocket didn't fly, but it would've worked (I think).

Jim

I agree, it should have worked fine, except you would have had to get straight 2x4s. I've become convinced after searching through skid after skid of 2x4s at the box stores that a straight 2x4 is like a bigfoot, no such animal exists!

I agree, it should have worked fine, except you would have had to get straight 2x4s. I've become convinced after searching through skid after skid of 2x4s at the box stores that a straight 2x4 is like a bigfoot, no such animal exists!

I got pressure treated wood! They were straight or I wouldn't have bought them.

Then, I rented a Ford Expedition so that I could transport the 10 or 12' wood (don't remember which) to the launch site without having to have a hatch open. The lesson I learned is to never rent a Ford Expedition at Blackrock. It's unbelievable how many places there are for dust to settle out in that vehicle.

Jim

I built this portable pad at the end of last year. It has been doing a fine job. Most flyers want to use it more than the club pads. I don't mind either.

023-Tampa-Tripoli-2015-03.jpg

safe_image.jpg

Last edited:
This tower can handle BT-5, -20, and -50 airframes with 3 flat fins. Built from scrap lumber and 3@ 5" sections of 1/2" conduit.

new 014.jpg

new 016.jpg

new 015.jpg

Last edited:
This tower can handle BT-5, -20, and -50 airframes with 3 flat fins. Built from scrap lumber and 3@ 5" sections of 1/2" conduit.

did you put one tube in the center and vary the positions around that to get the multiple diameters, or did that diameter just end up with a tube in the center?

did you put one tube in the center and vary the positions around that to get the multiple diameters, or did that diameter just end up with a tube in the center?
Started with one hole in the center, then spaced 2 each for 13,18, and 24mm tubes. Laid it out on cardboard first. About 6 times before I got it right

Back