Painkiller Micro built for an H (GF's level 1)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MachLobster

Reaction score
After a few launches and my venturing into HPR, my girlfriend finally got bitten by the bug. Not only has she picked out her own rocket, but shes also decided to join NAR and go for her level 1!
Her rocket of choice, the regular sized painkiller, was gone by the time we got to them, so we got the next best thing....
The micro!
PMt6QAd.jpg

AFTER we'd ordered it, I found out all of the L1 motors for 24mm exceed the 80 average and cant be used for certifications, which left us with no choice:
CRJyaHR.jpg

29mm it is! It was almost sad to modify such a beautiful rocket so heavily, but she was happy by the end of it. The sims were putting us around 3k for an H90, so we decided to extend it out a little bit (15") and make it DD.... It wont be flown as such for cert, but the weight should keep it in a recoverable altitude...
exnhHv6.jpg

This also gives us a rocket capable of launching on the 24mm motors it came with, and the 29mm certification special she will buy to cert on... so basically two free casings for one kit! If we get a little bravery or a tracker, we can take out the coupler/extension and really let her rip... but first things first.

Needless to say I couldnt be any more happy, just wanted to share build progress...

A6UizC8.jpg

The MMT wont be staying that long, she hasnt gotten the retainer yet so we left it long to be cut to length later. Then the hard part, paint!

Maybe it's just the photo but those rail buttons look like 1515. Is that a heavy rocket?

Maybe it's just the photo but those rail buttons look like 1515. Is that a heavy rocket?

I think its just the photo, or I've bought the wrong buttons... I'll have to check when I go over there :facepalm:
Hopefully its just the photo, its a 38mm so quite a small rocket to begin with. The rocket is at 1lb now, but that's without laundry and we're going to add some weight to keep it below 2500' for her cert. According to my sim if we actually want to get it back we need to increase the weight up to 2.5ish lbs... :surprised: maybe she should cert on something else but we've come too far!

If you fly on fields or dirt....[not playa] borrow a tracker, substitute a 6in x 60in Topflight [or similar] streamer for the chute.

It will drop fast, can be seen [usually lol] and simple to find with tracker. Being fiberglass, it will handle a hard landing no sweat.

I have flown mini's like this many,many times...even with 6xl motors over 6-7000ft. Never lost one. Simple solution to the problem, most times don't bother with altimeter since I already know how high it will go from previous altimeter flights.

Guaranteed L-1 flight configured like this.

Good luck no matter what you do!
Buttons look like 1010's to me.

If you fly on fields or dirt....[not playa] borrow a tracker, substitute a 6in x 60in Topflight [or similar] streamer for the chute.

It will drop fast, can be seen [usually lol] and simple to find with tracker. Being fiberglass, it will handle a hard landing no sweat.

I have flown mini's like this many,many times...even with 6xl motors over 6-7000ft. Never lost one. Simple solution to the problem, most times don't bother with altimeter since I already know how high it will go from previous altimeter flights.

Guaranteed L-1 flight configured like this.

Good luck no matter what you do!
Buttons look like 1010's to me.

Thanks for the suggestion I'll definitely look into a streamer after the build is done and we have a final weight to play with. Whatever the recover is, it has to fit in a 38mm BT.

Fatter mount and longer eh?

Looks cool. should be a fun little flier. I need to get a tracker into mine and slide that 6g case into it.

Thanks for the suggestion I'll definitely look into a streamer after the build is done and we have a final weight to play with. Whatever the recover is, it has to fit in a 38mm BT.

Check your rules. NAR allow streamers. I believe Tripoli requires a parachute.

Check your rules. NAR allow streamers. I believe Tripoli requires a parachute.

Streamers are ok with NAR:
"The active recovery device can include parachutes, streamers, helicopter devices, R/C control and any other devices that are physically deployed to provide safe recovery of the model. In the event that dual deployment and secondary recovery devices are used, the deployment of a secondary recovery device must actively change the configuration of the model in order to inhibit ballistic recovery and slow the decent rate so as to allow for safe deployment of the primary recovery device."

Cool. Guess that settles that, now time to crunch the numbers and get the size we need, thanks everyone.

Back