Is there a standard body tube size for a "G" engine?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am normally a low power guy, but am building a "Textbook" rocket (yup, made of textbooks, mainly covers) and the stuff is heavy. Was going to go from 3 Ds to a G. I am used to BT5 for minis, BT20 for A and B and C, and BT50 for D. What is F And G?

Thanks,

Tom

I just use a LOC 29mm motor mount tube. Seems to resist crimping pretty well. I add ACME conformal rail guides (cut one in half) to prevent having to drill into the tube for rail buttons. Sand down one layer before you mount your fins and fillets. Straight smoke and good chutes!

As Fyrwrxz and Rex said: F and G --for the most part-- are 29mm (there are 24mm reloadable motors which get into this range, too, and some 38mm Gs, but 29mm is much more common for this impulse range). To the best of my knowledge, there isn't an Estes BT-X tube that correlates. The LOC tubing they recommended is great for it. It comes as a 34" tube, so for each one you buy, you'll get three, maybe four motor mounts.

Later!

--Coop

To the best of my knowledge, there isn't an Estes BT-X tube that correlates.

--Coop

Well, yes & no. The old (obsolete) Estes BT-52 has essentially a 29mm ID. There are only a couple kits I can think of off of the top of my head that used that size. However, BMS still sells the tubing, as well as BT-52H that has a heavy enough wall thickness to be MM tubing. That's what I've been buying in 34" lengths to cut as required for 29mm mounts. It helps that they also sell centering rings that fit it to other tubing sizes.

Balsa Machining Service has their T52H-34 at $3.00 or the T52HMF-34 at $4.00.

The HMF version has a metal foil lining which helps dissipate heat buildup in the tube.

Both are 34 inches long.

quick note, Loc also sells motor tubes in 18 & 24mm (by 34")flavors.
Rex

Centuri/Semroc Series 11 or 115 tubing works for 29mm motor tubes.

eRockets/Semroc has Series 11 nose cones available.

Back