Mad Maxx 8" Build Thread (Yup, L3) Successful!! 5/23/15

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd2cylman

Still not Carl... ;-)
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
OK,

Here goes my first build thread. Nuthin special, just a L3 rocket that started off as a crazy wild hair (when you're bald, you listen to all the remaining hairs) at MWP 5 (I think, Gary from Top Flight can correct me if I'm wrong). Gary was selling a PR 8" Mad Maxx. So, with out any hesitation, I jumped on that bugger. I don't know why, just seemed like a good idea at the time.
Disclaimer: I'm the worlds slowest typist.

So problems were encountered and overcome, mostly involving piles of cash. No slight is intended to anyone, and offers were made and turned down to make things better. I bought a kit unseen, so it is what I had to work with. It was my desire to make the parts I got closer to the PR description of the kit.
First problem was the coupler. Only 10" long on a 8" dia rocket. :surprised:
So I talked to Wildman. Got a 16" long coupler. Did I mention that the kit was old enough that it was G10? The Wildman coupler was G12. Somehow G10 is bigger inside dia than G12. No one has G10 couplers any more. Hmmm.
Second problem (not a problem as much as, again, to match the PR description), the upper body tube was 34" long instead of 48". So another call to Tim. 48" tube on the way. G12. Do we remember the G10/12 difference? Well, OD is also different on the body tubes. Hmmmm.
So I called Ken at Performance Hobbies. Just as great to deal with as Tim. He had a 48" G10 tube, but shipping was gonna kill me, plus I still had the 48" G12 tube. A little more phone time with Tim; found out he was going to a launch out east that Ken was also going to be at. A little horse trading and transporting by Tim, and Wahla!!! a G10 48" long upper body tube. One problem down, one to go.
So I bought some fiberglass cloth to make the OD of the G12 coupler a little bigger. I had mentioned to Ken that I was looking for a G10 16" long coupler. He said he'd look in his warehouse and let me know. So as Jason can tell you, a little time went by without any progress.
A year later, Ken from Perf Hobbies called me and asked if I was still looking for a G10 coupler. HECK YEAH!!!!
So more horse trading and one G10 coupler was on its way to my abode :horse:
So now I'm out of excuses to start building :eyeroll:
So build I did. All parts sanded and washed. Centering rings sanded to fit and tacked on.
More later. Sorry about the long post, but I thought it might be interesting :yawn:

Last edited:
OK,

Motor mount installed after body tube was (over)drilled for injection style internal fillets.

Adrian

Last edited:
That's awesome that Tim and Ken were able to help you get the parts you needed! We are fortunate to have such great vendors to work with!

That's awesome that Tim and Ken were able to help you get the parts you needed! We are fortunate to have such great vendors to work with!

Yes indeed! Ken remembered a YEAR later that I needed that coupler. That is impressive. It did have a little problem of being a little too big around. So off to Tim's I go. We made some bulkheads, slapped it in Tim's lathe and sanded carefully for an hour. Checked the fit every now and then and finally had the fit I wanted.
Needless to say that without Tim and Ken, this would still be a pile of parts. Also a shout out to Jim Hendricksen, who has put up with many calls.

So, on with the build, and remember to support your local (or not so local) rocketry vender.
Oh, thanks for reading this far. How'm I doin?

Adrian

OK,
After the excitement of last nights Wisconsin game, I got all twitchy and forgot I was in the process of baking for Easter Dinner. So got that wrapped up around 1:30 am. Now, where did I leave off....

View attachment 260050View attachment 260051

I just realized that I don't have pics of the internal or external fillets. So time to power up the old camera.
Oh, more pics including the aforementioned repurposed kitchen table. Maybe next year I'll get the Wildman Gizmo XL V off of the table so I can put food ON the table :facepalm:

Adrian

Last edited:
So an 8" x 16" altimeter bay is a little roomy. Especially when you have those Missile Works printed sleds. They save a LOT of space. Did I mention I had a little extra room?

View attachment 260052View attachment 260053View attachment 260054

Sorry the last pic was blurry, but I'm sure we all recognize what is sitting on the sled. Yep, RRC3 and a RRC2+. Both have been flown in another rocket already to make sure things go as planned.
Here's the business ends of the av bay.

View attachment 260056View attachment 260057

So.... All shear pin holes are drilled. Vent holes drilled too. What's left? Recovery and all up assembly pics...

Adrian

Paint scheme has been decided, but may not happen before first flight. There's a lot of body tube to cover. It's too big for my paint booth while assembled. Here's the inspiration:

View attachment 260058

So Jason, it will be Yellow based....

Adrian

OK,

Here's the part I'm not super strong at. Rocsim file is made, but I'm sure some of you could do better. Plus the data base had some issues. For instance, every time I tried to input my chute (Skyangle Cert-3 XXLarge), it kept inputting it as a 36" chute :facepalm:
So, things were done manually, and I hope correctly. Maybe yous guys can look'er over and (kindly) critique my file.

Adrian

Last edited:
OK boys and girls, done for the day. Hope you've enjoyed the show. Hope I've entertained and amused, because I'm sure nothing new has been discovered.
Have a good Easter or just a good Sunday (if that's how you roll).

Adrian

Adrian!!!

Finally, the well traveled, highly anticipated, much discussed L3 Mad Maxx! Thrilled to see you're building it and sharing with all us crumudgeons! Do you have an estimated launch date/location...I want to be there sir...to harass you and have a drink with afterwards!

Congrats on getting this thing underway; looking forward to watching it grow!

Happy Easter,

-Eric-

Adrian!!!

Finally, the well traveled, highly anticipated, much discussed L3 Mad Maxx! Thrilled to see you're building it and sharing with all us crumudgeons! Do you have an estimated launch date/location...I want to be there sir...to harass you and have a drink with afterwards!

Congrats on getting this thing underway; looking forward to watching it grow!

Happy Easter,

-Eric-

Eric,

If all goes well, cert flight should take place at mini MWP this May at the Wildman Memorial Day extravaganza/club launch. Hopefully... Gotta do ejection charge tests yet.
It'll fly naked. Probably.

Adrian

I looked at your sim file, and I'm not seeing any glaring errors. I did have a body diameter continuity error in Openrocket. The nosecone was input at 8 inches exactly, and the body tubes are 8.005 inches.

I looked at your sim file, and I'm not seeing any glaring errors. I did have a body diameter continuity error in Openrocket. The nosecone was input at 8 inches exactly, and the body tubes are 8.005 inches.

Tonimus,

I appreciate your taking the time to look over my file. I don't have the program on this computer, but tomorrow night when I get home, I'll look that over and make all the dimensions match.
Thanks again,
Adrian

Well,

Not much changed since the last post, but I did get the AV bay prepped with test charges. Now just gotta fire them puppies off and see how things look.

Adrian

Its a blower Maxi a blower

Lets hope this doesn't blow....
Every time I get ready to do the charge tests, it rains. I know it's glass and rain won't hurt it, but I might melt :wink: :wink: :rolleyes:
I should also post pics of my rail button attachment, but too busy watching hockey :facepalm:
I also edited my rocsim file to reflect some changes in entries. Suffice it to say that I'm a horrible rocsim user.

Adrian

For your external filets on the fins, are you going to use chopped carbon mixed in with the epoxy?

For your external filets on the fins, are you going to use chopped carbon mixed in with the epoxy?

No, I used RocketPoxy which can not be used with fillers. I guess I never posted the pics with the internal (Proline/West Sys) with chopped carbon injected and the external RocketPoxy. Gee, all these photos I need to post... Hawks are up 2-0, so maybe I could go snap some pics. Or just go to bed as it's getting late. :blush:

Adrian

OK got a few more pics taken. Internal and external fillets.
And ejection charge tests :w: :w:
Oh Maaatt....... How do I post those videos????
Oh, yeah, rail button attachment too.

Adrian

Yo Adrian! :grin: (sorry, i can never help myself around *The Adrian*)...

If i can interject here...I like what i see. ;)

I know we've discussed a few items on the phone pertaining to this build and, i'm glad to see that you've built a solid foundation after looking at the pictures you've included.

Sometimes people get lost in all this: Lighter! :D Faster! :D Higher! :D Mentality when doing their L3 projects and, in some ways that's good but, you are building a SOLID rocket that can take the punishment of many flights over (hopefully) a long and, happy life. Some things i see that reflect that are-

1. Use of Fender washers (to spread load forces) on AV bays and, key areas of support.
2. Large, well reinforced internal fillets with RocketPoxy on the outside to take up some of the shock on the outer tube.
3. Overuse of threaded rod/all-thread/thread-all in the AV bay to support your end rings. ( I also *shock absorber/locate* my altimeter boards with rubber hose!)

Good build so far Amigo...One thing i do not recommend is large amounts of epoxy on the aft centering ring outer surface due to possible heat soak issues over time with some of the motors you may fly in this rocket....

Opinions may vary but, a small fillet of glue on the ring to outer tube joint prevents running epoxy from affecting the motor retainer and, possibly gumming up the cap ring.

But, lets just fly it and, see how it goes! :eek: Which i'm sure will be quite excellent!

As i've mentioned before...i can only be there on Sat. night and, all day Sunday...If you do wait till Sunday to fly, i would love to assist in anyway and, i f you need a TAP to watch/sign off i would be more than happy to include my name on your paperwork.

MIGHT be the first paperwork i've signed off yet....:rolleyes:

OPEN FOR BUSINESS PEOPLE!...Available on Sundays only...Two 500 Horsepower vehicles in the garage waiting to bring me to YOU!...Lots of dirty jokes/humor available...Cleans up well...Navigates all highways in the central midwest VERY WELL!...Services provided for free....:cool:

Well,
My first L3 motor is built. Tomorrow I'll prep the AV bay. Then maybe build 2 more motors for the launch. And maybe then I'll rest a little...

Adrian

OK,

Lets see if this works. My first foray into posting videos. L3 deployment tests. First flight will be next weekend. I'm sure there is a way to embed(?) these, but this will work for now.

[video]https://youtu.be/YMhCgxUE6Lc[/video]

[video]https://youtu.be/fHTa2XHkBsk[/video]

Adrian

Back