AT I599 sanity check

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpitfield

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am considering using the AT 1599P for the maiden checkout flight of a Min Diameter 54mm rocket that I am just completing. With the motor loaded it nets out to 6.6lbs. RockSim sims it around 2,500', enough to test my electronics and recovery systems.

I am looking for opinions on the motor choice and or any other recommendations The choice is limited to 54mm and L1 (H-I) only as this rocket is for my L2. This is not the motor I will be using for my L2 cert launch, as noted it is just the maiden launch to test the electronics and performance of the recovery system beyond what ground testing provides.

Two thoughts. One, check CG/CP, if good...sounds sane. two, 6.6 seems like a lot for an MD 54mm...what's it look like?

and three (I can't count) Just go for it. a "shakedown flight" is just as risky as an L2 flight. Why risk busting it when there is no penalty for a failed L2 flight? Slide a K in there and kick it! Of course I've been looking for an excuse to light of an I599N for a bit now....so...I get that

Last edited:
Two thoughts. One, check CG/CP, if good...sounds sane. two, 6.6 seems like a lot for an MD 54mm...what's it look like?

and three (I can't count) Just go for it. a "shakedown flight" is just as risky as an L2 flight. Why risk busting it when there is no penalty for a failed L2 flight? Slide a K in there and kick it! Of course I've been looking for an excuse to light of an I599N for a bit now....so...I get that

See that attached RockSim file View attachment 260008

I hear you on the "just as risky" but I have 3 candidate rockets for my L2 so if she crashes then I will just take up the next. Plus I am not doing the typical slow and low just focus on getting your L2, I am planning in using the new Loki L-1040 which sims out just over 20K with the new Loki L-1040.rse motor file. So I believe it warrants some testing above the typical ground tests.

It hits like a hammer for a very brief moment then the rest of the time it coasts. If you are confident in your electronics, go for it. Just don't try to take a picture and watch the flight at the same time.

5...4...3...2...1...Where the heck did it go?

I love smacking my Small Endeavor with the 38mm I1299!

It hits like a hammer for a very brief moment then the rest of the time it coasts. If you are confident in your electronics, go for it. Just don't try to take a picture and watch the flight at the same time.

5...4...3...2...1...Where the heck did it go?

I love smacking my Small Endeavor with the 38mm I1299!

LOL...I used the I600 in my PML bull pup last URRF and it was the same thing 5...4...3...2...1...poof. Somehow Dave was able to snap a great pic of it just leaving the rail before it disappeared

I599 sounds pretty sane in this rocket. Go for it!
I launched my 4 inch Phoenix Bird on one.

PB%20large.jpg

LOL...I used the I600 in my PML bull pup last URRF and it was the same thing 5...4...3...2...1...poof. Somehow Dave was able to snap a great pic of it just leaving the rail before it disappeared

LOL. smoke....smoke...smoke...smoke.more smoke.....FIRE.....GONE. That thing cleared the rail, and .125 seconds later...it was well out of frame, which probably had a good 40 feet left in it...

Personally I’ve often felt we should all check our sanity before engaging in any kind of HP rocket launch.

Then, when we are finished flying; we give the nice lady at the “Sanity check booth” the ticket stub she provided when we checked our sanity with her and she gives us back our sanity.

I flew the I599N in my 54mm md it was cool and it went about 3k. But the motor that impressed me was the J1799N and it sent my 54mm md to 9k. Here it is a pic of it on the J1799N. Photo by Kenneth.

Nice pic. I hear you but the objectives for this launch are just to get it off the pad quickly to around 2,500 and test the electronics and recovery system. Plus J is not an option for me at this time, but I will keep that motor in mind.

Nice pic. I hear you but the objectives for this launch are just to get it off the pad quickly to around 2,500 and test the electronics and recovery system. Plus J is not an option for me at this time, but I will keep that motor in mind.

Sure, makes sense for a maiden flight, which I encourage. I like to do at least one maiden flight where I can watch with my eye the entire flight and recovery process. I get to enjoy the rocket at least once, after spending blood, sweat, and tears in building it. If you "go for it" on the first flight - woosh, gone - and then can't find it for whatever reason, it is a pretty empty feeling.

Yes, 6.6 pounds sounds like a lot for a 54mm MD. But it wouldn't surprise me if it weighed that. The CF Tomach supposedly weighs 3 pounds according to Madcow. My 4" Patriot is listed as 2.75 pounds, but tips the scale at over 6.25 pounds in flying weight minus motor.

Latest posts

Back