Softening elmers glue?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandeja1

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Okay,

So "trying" to be a good dad I let my son talk me into glueing the fins on *his* Estes Monarch so they would be straight.

Silly me, forgot to check which was the root edge and consequently glued them on backwards. Doh!:facepalm::sad:

Is there a way to "unglue" them so that they can be attached correctly? We/I used the "double glue" method to attach them (of course). It was late at night after a LONG day when I did this, but still, no excuse.

Everybody makes a mistake occasionally right? :blush::rolleyes::wink:

Will probably just "appropriate" my mistake and get him another one.

I know this does not answer your question, but if they are glued on well and straight, leave them on. In looking at the kit, do some mild trimming and it will look fine.

Heat will soften this type of glue. A hair dryer on high may be enough.
Once it's soft, you (not your son) may be able to carefully slice through the glue with a hobby knife.

You could leave them on and skin them with paper to help keep them from breaking along the grain. That should be plenty strong.

I know this does not answer your question, but if they are glued on well and straight, leave them on. In looking at the kit, do some mild trimming and it will look fine.

I was/am thinking this is what I will do. Can use this as a lesson in "taking your time and making sure you are doing it right"

Heat will soften this type of glue. A hair dryer on high may be enough.
Once it's soft, you (not your son) may be able to carefully slice through the glue with a hobby knife.

I may give this a try, thanks for the idea! I think they are probably just going to stay the way they are though. He doesn't mind (so far)

I may give this a try, thanks for the idea! I think they are probably just going to stay the way they are though. He doesn't mind (so far)

As suggested by M Rich, you may be able to paper them as they are to help them survive the stresses of landing.

Whatever you do, post pictures and let us know what happens.

BTW, there's going to be a whole slew of rocketeers in Huntsville this coming week for SLI. Maybe you could infiltrate and pick some minds there.

As Rex said, vinegar will usually soften white glue. You may need to help it along with a hobby knife...soften the glue, use the knife, soften the glue, use the knife...until the part is free.

A one hundred watt light bulb, held very close for one or two minutes, will soften Elmers' Glue. Wiggle, repeat, and remove :wink:

I just heard of using a microwave to make white glue dry faster. Wonder if it would also heat it up and soften it? Make sure the motor hook/metal is out first.

a few drops of vinegar will usually do the trick.
Rex

Ding! Ding! Ding! We HAVE A WINNER!!!!

I put a little bit of white vinegar in a cup and applied it to the joint using a q-tip. Waited about 15 sec and "wiggled" the fin and it came right off! Will have to clean up the body tube and fin edge a bit with sand paper to remove the remaining glue but otherwise it worked perfectly!

Thank You Rex!!!

As Rex said, vinegar will usually soften white glue. You may need to help it along with a hobby knife...soften the glue, use the knife, soften the glue, use the knife...until the part is free.

I've never heard that before, that's interesting. Is there any chance that it also works on Titebond wood glue?

Enough heat will always loosen any PVA based glue, including titebond wood glue. I don't think a hair dryer is hot enough however. The glue needs to get up to about 140F or higher.

RE: Vinegar softening white glue

I've never heard that before, that's interesting. Is there any chance that it also works on Titebond wood glue?

Yes in fact it works nicely. I've done this to Titebond II and Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Glue. If the glue joint is old, it can take a while to soften up, but recent (days old) joints loosen fairly quickly with vinegar.

Ive used vinegar multiple times to remove wood glue from botched furniture repairs attempted by those who should never be allowed to touch newer or antiques and glue, screws, or duck tape.

Vinegar will soften any animal product glue. Elmer's white or carpenters, Titebond any number, even Gorilla brown wood glue.
it's an acid, works very well on all types;)

RE: Vinegar softening white glue
Yes in fact it works nicely. I've done this to Titebond II and Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Glue. If the glue joint is old, it can take a while to soften up, but recent (days old) joints loosen fairly quickly with vinegar.

Good to know, as I've got a fin on a current project that - despite best efforts with a giottine jig - didn't wind up on the marked line, but rather next to it. I'm not sure how I did that, but I have concluded that its best not to glue fins on when one should be sleeping... Thanks

Hey, I want to second the OP's thanks on this topic - the (really old) vinegar that I had in the cupboard ("expired" in 2007) worked like a charm for my issue as well. I tried to use care not to let it get on the other glue joints, but the offending fin as been removed. Once things are no longer damp, I'll reattach it properly... :cool:

You guys are awesome - thank you! I got home from work and my eager 8 year old had glued the wing of her Estes Jetliner on upside down and at the end of the body tube instead of measuring up 1 7/8". Vinegar applied using a sraw as a dropper worked great. Now the wet and warped balsa is drying under heavy weight so we can try again tomorrow. I think she'll wait on me to get home this time. :)

That's a good trick to file away for later! 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Incidentally, isopropyl alcohol loosens hot melt glue - I've needed that one a few times in the past!

Back