Good first dual deploy altimeter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rafael

Reaction score
I am in the process of building my first dual deploy rocket Mac Performance Arcas 3" and I was wondering which altimeter to buy. I am looking into the RRC2+, Adept22 and StratoLoggerCF, nothing fancy just something to learn on. Any input would be great.

If you really mean "nothing fancy," then the RRC2+ is hands down the best. Works out of the box with no configuration. Reports altitude of last flight, battery voltage, and continuity of both charges. Screw it down and send it up!

The Adept22 is pretty simple, too, and about the same price.

But if you are looking ahead to airstarts, data logging, etc., then spring for an RRC3.

Most people will recommend the units that they own. Are you near a club? What do the people in the club fly? They can help you with your choice. Stratologger for me.

Nothing fancy would be the RRC2+. Good price, easy to configure, no computer needed... I don't even have one. I've been eyeing one as a backup, though. If you can put one together and can use a basic terminal program, the Eggtimer is my preference. Lots of datalogging capability, very tunable, can air start motors... That is what I use.

I would purchase another RRC2+ before ordering another Adept 22. I have both and prefer the RRC2+. They do basically the same things. However, the RRC2+ is labeled more clearly. I don't have to get out a reference guide to find out what is plugged into what position or what each jumper setting does. I never found wiring the Adept 22 to be confusing. However, there have been complaints about the fact that wires up slightly different than other altimeters. Paired with the 3D printed sled, the RRC2+ is a great altimeter and the way I would point a first time electronics deployment. Most of my birds now fly with eggtimers. However, you have to assemble the egg timer and they are longer. Landru now has 3D printed sleds for them as well.

Stratologger CF is the newest and has a few more features than RRC2 and Adept .. velocity reporting and logging of multiple flights

Kenny

RRC2 is inexpensive and simple. Stratologger CF adds more data to inspect for a slightly higher cost. Eggtimer is cheaper than both with all the features but you build it yourself, and you definitely get a feel for what it does and how it works.

I have some thinking to do now that few of you suggested the eggtimer

My first altimeter was the stratologger. I like it, and it was easy to set up and use. I like the fact you can set it up with a computer, and download the flight data.

The adept 22 was my second altimeter, and it works great, but it is a little different to wire up, so a little more care is required. I have three of them , and they have never let me down.

I also have an RRC3, but I have yet to fly it.

I think you can not go wrong with the stratologger, were I to do it over again, I would use the stratologger as my first altimeter. I seem to remember when it first came out, it made a big splash because it offered a lot of features for a very reasonable price.

I am in the process of building my first dual deploy rocket Mac Performance Arcas 3" and I was wondering which altimeter to buy. I am looking into the RRC2+, Adept22 and StratoLoggerCF, nothing fancy just something to learn on. Any input would be great.

I've used products from all three of those manufacturers and found all three are reliable. So, it really boils down to personal preferences IMHO. Not sure I would buy another Adept22 just because wiring it up is annoying with the common port and as others have said, nothing is labeled on the PCB. Don't get me wrong though, it is a good altimeter just slightly irritating to set up. I have the old style RRC and that is a little annoying and confusing to program. The RRC2+ though looks to be simple...like caveman simple so it'd be good for me. :) Which is what I like about the HiAlt45k (predecessor to the Stratologger - kinda) it's pretty daggum simple. But now I see they've put one of those "program" buttons on the altimeter which I am sorta so so about. (do you REALLY need to set main deployment for 100-9999' in one foot increments???) I'd buy the RRC2+ but you really can't go wrong with any of them.

Last edited:
I'd agree with the comments above, they are all good altimeters. My 2 cents is to start with something simple for your first DD - you will have enough on your mind without worrying about whether you programmed or built the altimeter right. I have 4 RRC2+s, they are great. Love the sip switches, its nearly impossible to get wrong - reminds me of the HIAlt45k (which I still use), but better with built in mach protection. When you get some DD flights under your belt, then you might want to explore fancier altimeters. 3 of my RRC2+'s are used as backups for Ravens (I'd highly recommend as well, just not first flight).

I have been flying Missileworks stuff since they came out with the RRC2 in the late nineties. Had two of them, but one was eaten by a very large tree, and try as I may I could not get it back. That being said, both were 100% for me. The remaining one, the rev c version, will be used in my L3 cert.

I needed a second altimeter for the L3. I had a Perfect Flight MAWD. They are ok, but not my favorite. Traded it to Al for one of the original high end altimeter called the Mission Control. I have turned it on but not tested it yet. So, I purchased a RRC2+ as my second Altimeter for my L3. Simple, to the point, and very reasonable.

If you are just getting into electronics it is a great time as there are a lot of great options. I suggest starting simple and working your way up.

My only DD altimeter is a Stratologger SL100. And I like it. But, if had experience with the others you are looking at, I bet I would like them too. The Stratologger CF is the SL100 in a more compact version, so the hardware and software are the same. I wish they had the CF a yr ago when I bought my SL100. It actually costs less.

Hey Rafael, good to see you here on TRF. Sharon and supplied the motor you used for your L1 cert. at Eagle Eye last month. Glad to see you working up into dual deploy, it will help you recover rockets at our launch site, a daunting task to say the least.
I have most of the altimeters mentioned in this thread, and my favorites are the Stratologger SL100 and the RRC2+. I have about a dozen dual deploy rockets, and Sharon has several more that use Stratologgers as primary, and RRC2+ or RRC3's as backup. For your first altimeter, you can't beat the new Stratologger CF, but the RRC2+ is cheaper and just as easy to use. I like Stratologgers because I download data to my laptop to keep track of my flights. The RRC2+ doesn't have that function, but will do the job it was designed for. If you like DATA, The RRC3 will give you lots of it, more than the Stratologger. I started out with a Stratologger, and honestly don't know how many we have in our rockets. When they came out with the new CF design, we bought a few for new builds. I'm putting one in a new minimum diameter Blackhawk 54 with an RRC2+ as backup. The avbay is so small, it wouldn't fit the older Stratologger SL100 or the RRC3.
I have also built two Eggtimers and at least four Eggfinders. I can't recommend an Eggtimer for a first altimeter, it's too complicated to set up, and you have to build them, which adds another level of complication.
Whatever you decide on, I would be glad to help you with advise on how to set it up in your rocket. Or you could just look at one of my many build threads here, I have several that detail the way I build avbays.

Thanks, I am trying to have it ready for the next launch and will definitely have questions for you.

Back