Is a separate chute for the nosecone needed in dual deploy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOM C

Reaction score
For a large traditional dual deploy rocket...10' long...50 pound pad weight...15 pound 36" long nosecone..
At apogee the rocket separates below the ebay...drouge chute is deployed.

Main chute is located above the ebay in the payload pay and is deployed at 800'.
I see some keep the cone tethered to the rest of the rocket rocket and some let the cone descend on it's own chute.

What is the goal..problems... by having the cone come down on it's own chute?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Tom C.
MARS
MDRA

The most common application of this deployment is a "free-bag" configuration.

At the main chute ejection event, the momentum of the nosecone pulls the chute and bag out of the rocket. The bag remains with the nosecone under its own chute. No chance of tangle. Very elegant and reliable. I did this with my HonestJohn[rip].

It all depends on the main chute. Larger chutes tend to need a more specific packing and controlled deployment then small chutes. If you must use a deployment bag, using a separate chute on the nose cone and using that as the pilot chute to pull the deployment bag off the main chute works quite well and is very dependable.

That last description fits my configuration for my L3 this summer. The idea of using the freebag and having the noseone come down separately with it's own chute is to reduce chance of entanglement. Yes more work involved when it comes to gathering. I use a tracker for the booster and another for the nosecone just in case. After L3 I may go back to a regular deployment bag and conventional dual deploy.

I did this before, and again with Mondo Kraken last weekend. Drogue at apogee, main charge at 800. Charge separated NC from upper AF, inflating pilot chute and removing deployment bag from 96" main. If I hadn't done this, I would have needed a larger main chute--nose was heavy and recovered on a 48" Iris Ultra-- for the extra weight to keep my landing speed where I wanted it. Deploying a 10' chute without a bag scared me more than having the kids visually track the nosecone... Which was a needless fear, as the two pieces landed within 20 feet of each other. Trick is to size the pilot chute for the weight it will be recovering, to descend around the same speed as the rest of the rocket...

Later!

--Coop

Back