HyperLoc 1600 L2 Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caruolo

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Well this is a bit fashionably late, but I am finally starting a build thread on my L2 bird, code-named "Knoop MK II"
I recently accomplished attaining my L1 with a LOC Vulcanite on a H148R to 2840'. Then I decided to go for my L2, and chose the Hyperloc 1600 because I wanted something big!

I plan to keep my cert. flight low, probably on a J540 or a J800, depending on what the final weight comes to be. Aiming for between 2-4000'. All the build techniques that I will used/have used in this build were either through past experience, or through research online and on TRF. I've also assisted in several Level 3 flights, so I understand at the minimum, the general gist of things when they get so big/powerful.

On to the build!

10834932_10153012597358950_7666040413981993627_o.jpg
Of course I just had to do a dry fit after receiving the kit in the mail from DiscountRocketry (I'm on the right), was definitely bigger than anything I've ever built before!

_dsc5437.jpg

Here I am using cardboard with fin alignment grids from PayloadBay to align the fins, which were tacked on using Aeropoxy. The motor mount had the glassine layer removed for maximum adhesion.

IMG_6524.jpg

Both the aft and forward CR's were dual layered for something extra that the threaded inserts for the rail buttons could screw into. The forward dual layered also served another purpose: full seating for the Aeropack 75mm screw on motor retainer's inserts. The eye bolt was also epoxied in at this point.

IMG_6523.jpg

Here is the Retainer fitted on.

IMG_6522.jpg

I fiber-glassed the roots of the fins using Laminating aeropoxy. The change in color of the MMT tube really makes me glad that I removed the glassine layer, as there is a really strong bond at the root level of the fin-can area.

IMG_6563.jpg

Here is my Av-Bay setup, with a 3D Printed sled from Andrew (Landru) on Etsy. It is currently setup with two Strattologger CF's for redundancy (I know I could have gone the two different brands route for redundancy, but this was the most economical solution for me). I am using blastcaps for the main, and the drogue will be deployed using a charge well located at the top of the aft CR, pushing it out of the rocket instead of blowing off at the base of the Av-Bay and pushing the drogue back into the body tube. The AV-Bay has silicone sealant around it to prevent pressure shocks from BP charges. I am using Schurter 110/220 switches, which are connected to the CFs' switch terminals. I will also be flying the rocket with a 808 #16 Video Camera inside one of Andrew's 808 3D printed protectors.

_dsc5972.jpg

Once I had Epoxied in the fin can/MMT assembly, I decided to copy my L1 bird, and fiberglass the fin can and body tube. However, I made the fillets out of aeropoxy before fiberglassing, leaving me with a very solid connection that was also aesthetically pleasing. I'm quite sure I could throw in an M into this build and it would hold!

_dsc5970.jpg

Attachments

• _dsc5947.jpg
    _dsc5947.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 239
  • _dsc5972.jpg
    _dsc5972.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 217
IMG_6570.jpg

Here's what it looked like after dremeling off the excess fiberglass. From here on, I used bondo autobody filler, and sanded it down smoothly for a nice surface to prime/paint on.

Tomorrow I will be uploading a picture of the current priming job.

Any and all advice is appreciated!

Thanks for looking!

Bit of a tardy update, but here she is completed!

IMG_0267_zps0xhcp7a4.jpg

I will be attempting my L2 (hopefully) at Dairy Aire in Central California on a K1100 to about ~2450'. There will be a 808 #16, and a GoPro Hero 3 on board the flight!

Dang that's an awesome paint scheme!! What type/brand of paint at eyou using??

Dang that's an awesome paint scheme!! What type/brand of paint at eyou using??

Thank you! I'm quite proud of the way it turned out :)

I used rattle cans (because I do not have a spray gun setup) by rustoleum from home depot. Everything from the primer to the enamal finish is from rustoleum. It was pretty cool how they sold basically glitter in a can, which are the silver portions.

Nice rocket! Should be fun to fly. Good luck on your L2 flight. That K1100 should give it a really nice flight.

Back