Raspberry Pi & Video capture

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lister

Fresh out of Stasis.
Reaction score
G'day everyone, Just wondering if anyone has had experience with capturing video using a Raspberry Pi & it's on board video connection?
e.g. does it suffer from frozen or lost frames?
The project I have in mind requires a "camera" built from modules, and so far the Raspberry is the only thing I can find that may do the job.
Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated.
Cheers Lister.

Raspberry Pi 2 has multiple cores so it should not skip frames.You will want to make sure of your power supply connections being secure since back feeding the pi through the header on the board may be a problem. Also make sure that the sd card is secured some how. That said one could make a heck of a flight computer out of this. One could easily add a gps module and 9/10 degree inertial measurement unit to the pi. The camera module produces some nice hd video. It could well be mounted in a pod or shroud on the side of the av bay. Possibilities abound.:dark:

Raspberry Pi 2 has multiple cores so it should not skip frames.You will want to make sure of your power supply connections being secure since back feeding the pi through the header on the board may be a problem. Also make sure that the sd card is secured some how. That said one could make a heck of a flight computer out of this. One could easily add a gps module and 9/10 degree inertial measurement unit to the pi. The camera module produces some nice hd video. It could well be mounted in a pod or shroud on the side of the av bay. Possibilities abound.:dark:

Have every version of the Pi. No issues at all but would go for the new Pi 1 B as it's the fastest.

Thanks for the thoughts, looks like I'll have to buy one and start experimenting. I'm hoping to be able to superimpose data from accelerometer etc on to the video of the flight.
I've recently seen advertised a Raspberry Pi A+, it's supposed to be a touch smaller and more economical with it's power consumption.

I tried video capture with rasperry pi b+. I wanted to put Rpi in my quadcopter to make some computer vision and augmented reality algorithm to help autonomous navigation and data analysis.
When I started camera capture directly with linux, it was 60 FPS and wow.. it was smooth. BUT when I started to capture frames in a buffer with c++, FPS dropped to 5-6... and no code for video analysis. So, I forgot the project.

So, I used the rasperry as camera for FPV at 60fps and after I bought a real FPV camera. So, no rasperry pi in my quadcopter.

Maybe with a Rasperry pi 2 it can be faster but I did not tried it.

Back