Excelsior Decals ROCK!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arringtj

Reaction score
Excelsior decals ROCK!!!!!!
Just finished "Snowjam 2015" project- MDRM but customized to "der Harley Max" !!!
29mm X 8" motor mount upgraded to 38mm X 12 inches...
One Bad Hawk custom harness
Maiden launch this Saturday at Music City Missile Club in Manchester TN.
...and yes- I DO drive an F150 Harley edition pickup! =P
:headbang:

Pics...

IMG-20150330-00164.jpgIMG-20150330-00172.jpgIMG-20150330-00171.jpgIMG-20150330-00170.jpgIMG-20150330-00169.jpgIMG-20150330-00168.jpgIMG-20150330-00167.jpgIMG-20150330-00166.jpgIMG_0946.JPGIMG-20150330-00173.jpg

Those look great!
Did you take any of the "Extra Steps" when applying them, ie; the special fluids you are supposed to apply to the sheet?
I had a set of Excelsiors Decals, but reading the instructions revealed that I would then have to buy some other stuff like setting fluid or something, I forget what, but I ended up giving them away because I did'nt want to screw them up.
Then someone told me they work just fine without the Fixer or whatever.

Thanks! Yes, I bought the microset and microsol. I was intimidated with all the instructions too, but they lay down PERFECT if you take your time and definitely use this stuff! Otherwise you get "white glazing" as I did with the first few I tried without the solvents!!! I later kept applying SOL over the glaze areas and after dozens of coats it all vanished like magic! I clearcoated with Pledge FUTURE using 2 good coats... beauty eh?

laterzzz
- Jeff

Spacex Falcon / Dragon C6-5
Spacex Falcon1.1 / Fairing E9-4
Big Daddy E9-4

Mega Der Harley Max Estes G40-4 TBD (virgin until 4/4/2015)

The white hazing is air pockets between the decal and the surface, which happens if the paint surface isn't truly smooth and the decal hasn't conformed to it. Repeated application of the "red" fluid eventually should make it lay down better to a point, but if the paint surface is actually smooth then you can get good results without the setting fluids (the old fashioned way). I've done both, I've also set them with just water then applied the setting fluid as needed. I'm not sure that I've seen any real difference. I will point out, though, that it appears that there may be more than one type of decal paper that Gord uses, or maybe it varies between batches. Sometimes the decals lift from the paper easily with minimal wetting, other times require substantial soaking and a bit of patience to get them free. I've torn one or two by being too anxious and trying to force them off of the page.

But I agree with the OP's original point - the decals are great, as is the selection and availability (as well as the custom ability) and I've used them on a fair number of projects, and will continue to do so.

I'de definitely order from him again without hesitation, but I'll make sure I have the required "Extra Stuff" first next time.
The Decal Sheet itself was beautiful.

wOOt! der harley max flew great yesterday at music city missile club launch.

3 good flights:

First flight AT G40-4
AT H-115 successful L1 cert !
Loki H100 spitfire !!!

Let's hope he can get his printers working again!

Back