Rocket Commission

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJoiner

Reaction score
We're working on a special Earth Day project with Space Center Houston. We're looking to commission someone to build a functioning, ready-to-launch model rocket using mostly old physics and/or math textbook(s) as the building materials. (We'll supply the textbooks.)

The project must be completed in time for the finished rocket to arrive at Space Center Houston by April 17th.

We will be launching the rocket on April 18th.

If you're interested in this unique design challenge and / or have questions, please reply here or private message me.

That's a lot to ask in such a short time. Someone might be able to make tubes out of the papers with papier mache, and use the covers as fins; but the nose cone would prove to be a real challenge. Maybe if someone had a large ice cream cone to model it from.

Anyway, I expect this would take more than 17 days.

It is great challenge, and a great cause. This rocket will be used to inspire change.

And what if I told you that it's been rumored the Russians are working on a textbook rocket and are very close to launching?

A Low or Mid-Power could probably be knocked out easily within that time frame, but a High Power design would require special considerations for safety, so perhaps determining what size Rocket you want is the first order of business.

A low or mid-powered textbook rocket sounds great for this design challenge and schedule!

Good call, Top Ramen.

Seriously... you may want to consider drilling a hole through a few textbooks, and then sticking a motor in it and flying it as a big oddroc saucer of sorts.

An oddroc saucer? That's an interesting approach, blackbrandt. I love how you're thinking about it. Anyone up for the challenge of making some sort of an oddroc textbook saucer?

You could lob up to 3.3 pounds of book before you need a waiver.

A G80 can lob up to 3.59 pounds (80/4.45/5). (G80 is largest you can launch without L1 cert).

Stick a 1"x1" hole close to the middle, and shove a piece of 8020 through that for your launch device.

Motor tube through the middle.

The only problem is that you need a 50" parachute.

Add a little more BP to the ejection charge, and that should do the trick.

Someone might be able to make tubes out of the papers with papier mache, and use the covers as fins; but the nose cone would prove to be a real challenge. Maybe if someone had a large ice cream cone to model it from.

Gotta think outside the cylinder.

Square or triangular body tube made out of covers.

Pyramidal (square or trianglular base) nose cone (think NewWay rockets) also made out of covers. Been using pyramidal nose cones for my helicopters for years, they work great and are easy to build (and replace!)

Fins made out of covers.

Use the pages for streamers.

Could easily be built overnite, finishing takes as long as your want to work on it.

Gotta think outside the cylinder.

Square or triangular body tube made out of covers.

Pyramidal (square or trianglular base) nose cone (think NewWay rockets) also made out of covers. Been using pyramidal nose cones for my helicopters for years, they work great and are easy to build (and replace!)

Fins made out of covers.

Use the pages for streamers.

Could easily be built overnite, finishing takes as long as your want to work on it.

Sounds like you have a volunteer! :wink:

This is a great discussion.

We're interested, Tom. Let me know.

We're looking for more than one vision of a textbook rocket. Love to hear more ideas.

We're working to not only launch these rockets at Space Center Houston's Earth Day Kick-Off but also to have these textbook rockets on display in their gallery.

Thanks!

Back