First Post/Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulsed_Propulsion

Reaction score
Hello everybody!
My name is Thomas. I'm an aerospace engineering student focusing in propulsion. I finally had the opportunity to get into high power rocketry so I jumped on it. I flew my certification flight with an aerotech H128 in a PML Callisto. A club I'm part of at school had some kits, so I got one and built it for the flight. So technically it's not my rocket to keep, so I'm getting my own!
I recently bought a binder design 4" Excel Dual Deploy which still hasn't gotten here.. Thanks USPS. :rant:

Anyway! I'm very excited for this build. I ordered some US Composites 635, fast hardener and milled fiber. I already had some cab-o-sil. I noticed the msds for the resin is no where to be found on this forum, so I've included it here!

Also, I work in an aerospace composites lab, so I'm very used to working with glass, carbon, and resins. I also have access to prepreg fabrics, vacuum systems, autoclaves, and a 7'x7'x20' composites curing oven.

View attachment 635 Thin Epoxy Resin.pdf

View attachment 4 to 1 Hardener.pdf

View attachment 635 thin Epoxy & all hardeners.pdf

Welcome aboard Thomas. Im jealous that you have access to a composites lab. USPS is falling apart. Its sad really.

Last October, my work ordered 25 rolls of Cytec MTM45-1 prepreg fiberglass. Each roll has approximately 60 pounds of glass on it. A week ago, 3 of the rolls "expired" (which means it's no good for certified aircraft, but perfectly fine for me!) and I can use any of the expired glass I want :grin:

Delivery days are always fun. Each box has 1 roll of glass and is packed with dry ice to keep it cold.
20141029_113806[1].jpg

I also have experience making complex bags. Check this one out. It has a tube of bagging material, breather, and perf film that goes through the leading and trailing edges, and a bag that goes into each of the "cells" sectioned off by the ribs. This part weighs about 250 pounds and the bag takes 3 people 2 days to make.
20140708_120741[1].jpg

CAN I WORK THERE??!?!?! :p

This is cool. I have never seen that much prepreg in my life. :)

I see you know how to do an introduction...

Can't wait to see what you've got in store for us.

Welcome!
Jim

I'm 95% sure it's s2 glass. 300 grams/m^2. I'll check tomorrow when I'm at work.

Also, no tracking update from usps since last wednesday..

I'm 95% sure it's s2 glass. 300 grams/m^2. I'll check tomorrow when I'm at work.

Also, no tracking update from usps since last wednesday..

Awe man now I'm super jealous lol. Bummer that their falling apart. I remember when they got things fast to you. Dont worry though, we will patiently wait.

Sorry I haven't updated this thread in a while! I've received everything I need to build, but I'm just incredibly busy with aerospace engineering school right now. I'll start building when summer break gets here which is about two weeks away.
I also just got elected as the Technical Adviser for Jayhawk Rocket Design, a club at KU. We (meaning I) am designing a wax-nitrous hybrid motor and will be testing the effect of different fuel additives on regression rate. We hopefully will also be publishing our results through AIAA.

Welcome to the forum!!

Great choice on the Binder Design Excel kit - I have two, one 54mm and one 38mm. Very stable, great flying rockets.

Looking forward to seeing your build pics.

Sorry I haven't updated this thread in a while! I've received everything I need to build, but I'm just incredibly busy with aerospace engineering school right now. I'll start building when summer break gets here which is about two weeks away.
I also just got elected as the Technical Adviser for Jayhawk Rocket Design, a club at KU. We (meaning I) am designing a wax-nitrous hybrid motor and will be testing the effect of different fuel additives on regression rate. We hopefully will also be publishing our results through AIAA.

Aww, don't let your education/career get in the way of your hobbies. :wink:

Back