Scale Recommendations

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terryg

Reaction score
What scales do you use that are accurate for determining weighing rockets up to 30 lbs or so? Our bathroom scales vary by 5 to 7 lbs and are worthless for this. I can weigh individual components but my last project outpaced the capacity of my scale that is designed to weigh foods.

I use a Berkley digital fish scale. It's good to 50 pounds, and is very accurate, even at low weights. And if you need to weigh a batch of small components, put them in a plastic grocery bag and weigh them that way. According to the scale, 6 bags comes to one ounce.

Last edited:
I've used a postal scale. There are many available of various sizes and accuracies.

FC

I use the postage scale at work - it is accurate and kept calibrated. For very fine numbers (components, small models, etc), I use a digital scale that we have in our lab that measures to the 1/1000 of a gram. I'm not sure its accuracy, but we use it for measuring mass loss on gearing after durability testing. Basically for measuring how much steel has worn off, so the accuracy is at least good...

I've actually gone to the post office! I went when it was pretty empty (rare), and walked in and asked BEFORE walking in with a 5' tall approx 6lb rocket. They had no problem and asked lots of questions, thought it was cool. Taking one in without checking first, probably not a good idea!
-Ken

I've actually gone to the post office! I went when it was pretty empty (rare), and walked in and asked BEFORE walking in with a 5' tall approx 6lb rocket. They had no problem and asked lots of questions, thought it was cool. Taking one in without checking first, probably not a good idea!
-Ken

Before I bought my own Scale I used to take Rocket stuff to the deli counter at the little country store down the road to weigh it.

Back