National Geographic mistakes high powered model Saturn V rocket picture as real?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's quite the honor, to get one of your Models of any scale into the pages of a big Magazine like Nat Geo.

National Geographic uses "perfect binding." Their magazines won't open flat. They print on heavy, glossy paper with photos that have a wide dynamic range. They tend to not spread a photo across the center between pages. They always have photo and author credits at the start of the article.

The layout looks like Popular Science. There are even slashes by the page numbers as in a Popular Science publication.

Oh, and National Geographic did not publish a special edition called "100 Inventions Changed the World" - but, Popular Science did.

-- Roger

This is on page 108 of the Popular Science Special "100 Inventions that changed the world"

Just bought a copy and there it is. It is the Steve Eves version not the Werner Von Braun.

Come on guys, give the unpaid kids and interns working at these magazines a break. They are getting their journalism degrees by copying reports off the internet to fool their olde tyme bosses and professors. Hey kid, get this article out fast, we need to cut costs, and for god's sake, get a rocket photo in HD!

Last edited:
Wait, now, this is all messed up.

Is it National Geographic with Vern Hoag's, or Popular Science with Steve Eeves'?

Wait, now, this is all messed up.

Is it National Geographic with Vern Hoag's, or Popular Science with Steve Eeves'?

It's not a National Geographic and its not a photo of Steve Eve's rocket. :)

-- Roger

Seriously ... I'm intrigued. When I first saw the post here, I assumed it was an April Fool joke since the magazine obviously isn't a National Geographic publication (it even say's "Popular Science" in the lower-left corner). I had assumed that someone (the OP?) had Photoshopped the photo of Vern Hoag's rocket over a photo of a real Saturn V. Now, I've seen that the creators of the Popular Science special issue really did make the mistake.

I'm still not sure what's up. I've found the photo of the magazine from the original post on about a dozen web sites. I'm not sure where or when it was first posted. I'm not sure if the first person to post it was playing a prank by crediting National Geographic or just made a mistake.

-- Roger

Last edited:
I'd bet that the person choosing photos for the article went to Wikimeda and searched for "saturn v launch."

https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/ind...ch=saturn+v+launch&fulltext=Search&uselang=en

The first result listed (that is actually a launch photo) is the photo of Vern Hoag's launch by Steve Jurvetson.

Unless they got permission from Steve to use the image, they have violated his copyright. The license to use the image states:

Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.

His name is mentioned in small print in the inside back cover. But, they didn't follow other conditions of the license such as providing a link to the license.

-- Roger

Last edited:
Back