APE - Altimeter Bay System for Wildman/CTI 38mm Nose Cones

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisAttebery

Reaction score
Version 2 of our 38mm nose cone altimeter bay is now available. The bulkhead now includes an integrated charge holder. On the inside the tray is closer to the center line and the mounting lug has been lightened.

View attachment 262526

View attachment 262527

View attachment 262525

DPP_0333.jpg

DPP_0332.jpg

Head End Altimeter Bay - Wildman/CTI 38mm Injection Molded Nose Cone

Last edited:
I finally had time to machine these this weekend. I hope you guys like them. The bulkhead is machined from 6061 bar stock. It will be attached to the nosecone with a single 4-40 flat head screw drilled and countersunk through the side of the shoulder. The tray will be cut from 1/16" Black G10 . It will be big enough to accommodate an altimeter up to 2.5" long such as the RRC2+ AND a 9V battery.

I haven't decided on the pricing yet, but I'm leaning towards $40. These are a LOT more work than the 54mm version.

View attachment 259537

View attachment 259538

Looks really nice! There are so many of these cones out there...

I ran into a snag with the trays. The nose cone tapers more than I had thought. I cut a tray and inserted it into the nose cone but the battery stopped about 3/4" before the bulkhead was in the shoulder. It looks like I'll have to taper the tray and use a lipo for this setup.

IMG_2843[1].jpg

I ran into a snag with the trays. The nose cone tapers more than I had thought. I cut a tray and inserted it into the nose cone but the battery stopped about 3/4" before the bulkhead was in the shoulder. It looks like I'll have to taper the tray and use a lipo for this setup.

View attachment 259855

A 9v in the top of a 38mm rocket is probably more weight than anyone would want anyways. I think the lipo would be a good setup.

View attachment 259855

With battery tech where it is, LiPo's are really the way to go in these circumstances. While it would be nice to have 9V's available in this cone, I really think the pancake LiPo's are the way to go. Get some good electrical tape to tape them to the board behind the altimeter vs. way up the sled and away from the mounting bracket. I would imagine that having a 9V hanging that far away would mess with an accelerometer unit due to flexing and vibration of the unsupported board during a flight of any considerable gee loading.

It may seem crazy, but you could likely fit a redundant system in this cone with two LiPo's and two Stratologger CF's or Missile Works RRC2+ altimeters. I know that my 54mm cone bay that I purchased from you could very comfortably do just that.

You could easily mount 2 altimeters back to back *IF* they didn't have the screw terminals on them. With the screw terminals you have to mount them inline. Then the forward end starts getting really tight. I'm going to see if i can pick up a 110ma LiPo to work with from a friend. They are pretty small, 5.7mm x 12mm x 28mm. I might be able to mount that on the back side of the altimeter. I'll also pull the RRC2+ out of my DoorKnob after this weekend's launch so I can get this tray worked out.

With battery tech where it is, LiPo's are really the way to go in these circumstances. While it would be nice to have 9V's available in this cone, I really think the pancake LiPo's are the way to go. Get some good electrical tape to tape them to the board behind the altimeter vs. way up the sled and away from the mounting bracket. I would imagine that having a 9V hanging that far away would mess with an accelerometer unit due to flexing and vibration of the unsupported board during a flight of any considerable gee loading.

It may seem crazy, but you could likely fit a redundant system in this cone with two LiPo's and two Stratologger CF's or Missile Works RRC2+ altimeters. I know that my 54mm cone bay that I purchased from you could very comfortably do just that.

You could easily mount 2 altimeters back to back *IF* they didn't have the screw terminals on them. With the screw terminals you have to mount them inline. Then the forward end starts getting really tight. I'm going to see if i can pick up a 110ma LiPo to work with from a friend. They are pretty small, 5.7mm x 12mm x 28mm. I might be able to mount that on the back side of the altimeter. I'll also pull the RRC2+ out of my DoorKnob after this weekend's launch so I can get this tray worked out.

Your sled is also PERFECT for the Altus Metrum Telemini, which will be my application when I buy one of these from you!

I redesigned the sled last night. It's 4.875" long and 1" wide for the first 1.5" then tapers to .625" at the nose. You can use at battery up to 1" wide if you put a spacer under it. I can also add a spacer under the entire tray if that would be easier. This one is pre-drilled for 4-40 pem nuts to fit a RRC2+.

IMG_2844.jpg

IMG_2845.jpg

I really need to start using my good camera for these product shots. My iPhone camera has too much crap inside the lens these days. :facepalm:

Even with the smaller sled you could easily fit 2-3 Teleminis.

Yea only issue is antenna length, much as we discovered on the 54mm cone with the Telemetrum. Btw, that turned out perfectly and the antenna fits without any bending.

The Telemini is ~8.5" total length IIRC and therefore would need to be mounted pretty close to the base of the shoulder.

Let me know when they're available!

OK, I added them to the webstore. I've priced them at $40.

I have one question for those of you that are interested. Would you prefer 1/16" or 3/32" G10 for the tray?

I took some better pictures with my good camera. I need to get a couple more of the bulkhead itself.

IMG_2876.jpg

IMG_2877.jpg

IMG_2878.jpg

Thank you Chris. These are going to help me solve some problems very easily.
I just ordered one of each. Also, as noted on the order, I think 1/16" is fine for the tray.
BTW, great shipping prices!

They arrived today. Very fast shipping to Canada. They are excellent quality.
I do have an idea though. How about one for the 2.6" nose cone? I actually had a brain fart when I ordered the 54mm set as it is for my 2.6" (54mm MMT) Wildman Patriot.
That nose cone is not 54mm. :facepalm: I can, and will make it work. :rolleyes:

Hi Len,

I have the dimensions for the 2.6 cone. I'll work on a design this week if I have time. I'll send you an email.

On the 38mm cone drill the hole though the shoulder for the screw hole that's highest up the shoulder( 1/2" not 1/4" ). Use the hole closest to the bulkhead to mount the tray.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris,
I appreciate that. No rush on my account. I'm not finished the rest of the build.
I don't have a 38mm kit yet, but having the nose cone kit is a good place to start. I better look at the Wildman site.

Thanks again,
Len

Too late. I drew it up this morning. :wink:

I have to cut some other parts this week so I'll cut them all at the same time.

Ha! That's awesome. OK then, it's up to me to get it in gear. I'm taking photos for a build thread so I'm building it slowly.
Send me a PM or an email and I will send the $$.

Version 2 of our 38mm nose cone altimeter bay is now available. The bulkhead now includes an integrated charge holder. On the inside the tray is closer to the center line and the mounting lug has been lightened.

DPP_0325.jpg

DPP_0327.jpg

DPP_0330.jpg

Chris,

This looks really great! Yesterday we molded clear 2.6" nose cones, so they are now also available.

Jeroen

Back