Paint vs Future Floor polish issues

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirk G

Reaction score
So, recently I had heard that after painting your rocket, and applying the water slide decals, you should seal the decals by "painting" on a layer of Future acrylic floor polish.

The first time, I squirted a little onto a paper towel and wiped it on the rocket, wiping gently to coat all surfaces, but especially trying to get the large decals first.

The second time, I squirted some into an upturned 2 liter bottle CAP (like from Pepsi or Coke) and dipped a wide brush to "paint" the stuff on... spreading it out, brushing it out, until it doesn't appear that I'm spreading any more.
After setting this rocket aside and letting it dry, I see today that the paint has begun to bubble up or crinkle under this floor polish on the fins in a few spots.

What have I done wrong?

My first thought is that the paint wasn't finished curing and the gasses released by the curing paint is causing the bubbles.

A second possibility is that the color coat is water based and lifted as the Future hardened. Again, it would seem that the Future was applied too soon.

What type of paint did you use for your color coat and how long had it cured before the Future was applied?

The beauty of using Future is that, being a water based acrylic, it won't dissolve or soften the underlying finish. The only time that I have had a paint related problem when using Future is when I impatiently used it over a water based hobby paint as soon as the color was dry to the touch. The color coat streaked into the Future as I brushed it on.

I'm not a chemist but I read labels for ingredients and I think Future is one of the more paint-friendly clear coats you can use. Two or three months is certainly enough time for paint to dry (can I assume rattle can enamel ?). Bubbling suggests something got under the paint layer and reacted badly. Sometimes stuff happens I guess. Nothing a little sanding and re-spray wouldn't cure, no ?

Last edited:
I agree. I've applied Future within a few days of paining & never had any ill effects.

Unfortunately, the bubbling appears to be on a side tube that will require a good bit of masking and shielding to protect the other accented fins on the Super Neon XL.

By the way... now that I have coated this paint job with Future, if I DO want to touch up the paint, do I have to strip off the future before painting? I wonder if I have painted my self into a corner by applying the Future over everything.

What do you do? Just coat the decals? Or the whole thing, head to toe?

I coat the whole rocket with Future. If you are going to repaint, need to strip Future with ammonia. Comes right off. Just be aware of the fumes from ammonia. Use a fan or be outdoors.

Unfortunately, the bubbling appears to be on a side tube that will require a good bit of masking and shielding to protect the other accented fins on the Super Neon XL.

By the way... now that I have coated this paint job with Future, if I DO want to touch up the paint, do I have to strip off the future before painting? I wonder if I have painted my self into a corner by applying the Future over everything.

What do you do? Just coat the decals? Or the whole thing, head to toe?

No you haven't "Painted" yourself into a corner. Future actually Pledge with future acrylic finish (for Tile & Vinyl Floors) is about the most any kind of paint friendly protective coating available. I've used Future over fresh overnight painted models without any problem at all on all kinds of different materials. I can't imagine why you are getting bubbles in the paint. Are you sure they are not just air bubble in the future?
This sometimes happens if your applicator allows air in the coating. If that is the case, simply use a q-tip dipped in Household Ammonia to remover the Future in the area only. Then re-apply Future to the area. It is self leveling so it won't show at all.
If for some reason you want to remove the entire future coating it wipes off fairly easily with an Ammonia soaked rag or paper towel, just use in a well ventilated area:)

Have to say: I now prefer Pledge with Future acrylic protective coating over all other "Clear Coat" materials. Even the UV Resistant Clears have caused more Build-up and other minor troubles then brush or Towel applied Future Acrylic Clear.
One more thing. Future doesn't Chip or become brittle as ALL rattle can Clear coats do!

.. I can't imagine why you are getting bubbles in the paint. Are you sure they are not just air bubble in the future?
This sometimes happens if your applicator allows air in the coating. If that is the case, simply use a q-tip dipped in Household Ammonia to remover the Future in the area only. ...

This sounds like a much more likely scenario than Future lifting month old paint. Thanks Micro ! Yes, ammonia is the remover; I remember cutting it with water only because I wasn't sure how it would react. Sounds like I was worried about nothing.

This sounds like a much more likely scenario than Future lifting month old paint. Thanks Micro ! Yes, ammonia is the remover; I remember cutting it with water only because I wasn't sure how it would react. Sounds like I was worried about nothing.

+1 on that. You probably put too much on at a time. I have had the exact same thing happen when I put on too thick a coat. Remove it and try again. The paints fine.

Latest posts

Back