Easter Egg(finder) Special

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerving

Owner, Eggtimer Rocketry
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Since Spring is officially here, it's time for a Spring Break sale...

o Eggfinder LCD Starter Sets (Eggfinder transmitter + Eggfinder LCD Receiver) - $100 (regularly $120)
o Eggfinder TX GPS transmitters - $55 (regularly $70)
o Eggtimer TRS Starter Sets (Eggtimer TRS transmitter/flight computer + Eggfinder LCD receiver) - $120 (regularly $140)
o Eggtimer TRS GPS transmitter/flight computer - $75 (regularly $90)
o Eggtimer Flight Computer - $28 (regularly $35)

This sale is good until 11:59 p.m. PST on Sunday, April 5th. As usual, to order send an email to [email protected] . We have some stock, but don't be surprised if it takes a few days to ship if we run out while we reorder parts... we'll let you know if that's gonna happen.

Thanks for your continued support!

Cris Erving
Eggtimer Rocketry

oh you bad bad boy....\

I may have to partake of this offer.

Anyone out there wanna solder something for me??

oh you bad bad boy....\

I may have to partake of this offer.

Anyone out there wanna solder something for me??

Rob,
I've gotten pretty good at the timers and I have soldered a couple finders. I could help you out with one of those. No way I'm touching the TRS though.
Check with Eric or Chris from OROC for others that can help.
-Chuck

Rob-

As I said before, I'd be happy to put one of these together for you! I've built several of these so far (Eggfinder and GPS, but haven't tried the TRS yet).

I got to play with Chuck's LCD Eggfinder last October and have been wanting one (and a TRS) for the new season. I expect this is the impetus I've needed... :)

Z-man and a rocket.jpg

Erik

Attachments

• Z-man and a rocket.jpg
    Z-man and a rocket.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 90
Looks like we'll need a 900Mhz frequency board so we don't overlap each other.

Have built 2 timers. Will give my magnifiers a real test and try a TRS.

I assembled mine in a clear square pyrex pan and tweezers without teeth. Put just a touch of solder to pre tin one pad and tack mount the SMT component. Do the opposite pad with an appropriate amount of solder and then go back and touch up the tack mounted side. Make absolutely sure you mount the SMT resistors with the numbers up so you can check or recheck later on if there are issues. Be careful with the GPS as there is an open slot in the base and if you slop solder through that slot, could dork the
chip. If you mount it following the instructions, you shouldn't have a problem. I had done some experimenting one time and then tried to mount the SMT GPS after the board was populated (EggFinder) and boy that was a bear. Slopped some solder and dorked the chip. Removed the chip and use a Ublox connected by three wires on that unit. Kurt

I'm revising the assembly instructions soon, one of the first steps is going to be to cover the GPS "slots" with a thin strip of paper masking tape.

Even though I paid full price, I'm super excited to get my TRS. I've got two Eggtimers already and I love the stuff. Thanks for your awesome work and products, Cris!

There is nothing like the feeling of watching an Egg(x) you have built come to life for the first time!

Reflowster controllers are about to ship out (finally, whew) and I have a hacked toaster oven ready...soon it will be time to cook up some TRS units the easy way. Cris stop tempting me!!!

Just so you know, it's a pain in the butt to reflow mount the GPS module. It's heavy for a SMT part, so it's real easy for it to shift and mess up the solder paste, and it doesn't self-align due to the surface tension of the molten solder like the tiny parts do. I was thinking about pre-mounting them before I started selling Eggfinders, after I tried a few I decided that I'd never get them out the door if I had to take the time to do it.

Bump... last day. You're not gonna see another sale for awhile (really!) so if you're on the fence it's time to jump off.

yeah I know the GPS module is gonna take some special handling...might just go ahead and do them by hand but also looking at ways to make a jig to hold them in place. Being able to reflow most of the board is still going to be a huge timesaver. Still no update from reflowster on shipment though they came in from the mfr.

Big (bigger than I initially expected) order just placed! Your bump did me in Cris!

Waited till the last day... sale is too good to pass up... ordered more egg goodies :)

Thanks everyone for your response, the sale is now over. We've already shipped some orders, we'll be getting the rest out in the next few days.

I assembled mine in a clear square pyrex pan and tweezers without teeth. Put just a touch of solder to pre tin one pad and tack mount the SMT component. Do the opposite pad with an appropriate amount of solder and then go back and touch up the tack mounted side. Make absolutely sure you mount the SMT resistors with the numbers up so you can check or recheck later on if there are issues. Be careful with the GPS as there is an open slot in the base and if you slop solder through that slot, could dork the
chip. If you mount it following the instructions, you shouldn't have a problem. Kurt

Thanks for the tips. Roger. Wilco.

Cover up the GPS slot with a thin piece of masking tape before you mount it... problem averted.

FYI, I'm holding about half a dozen orders with TRS's on them until I can flight test the new version of the software this weekend. I don't want to ship them out with a known bug...

You'll like it a lot better anyway, I'm fixing some "eccentricities" in the menus so that they're more logical. Sometimes you get things out into the field and it turns out that what you thought made sense isn't what everybody else thinks. :)

Im in no hurry for mine but on the other hand, I can't wait.;)

I think you meant some ' eGGentricities' !

Kenny

Like the pig said, I pretty much fell for that one...

FYI, I've shipped all of the orders without TRS's on them. The TRS orders will be shipped sometime next week after I test-fly the firmware, and get back from a business trip.

I'm about half way through assembling the GPS/TX/Timer board. I can only do about a half-dozen solders at a time and then I have to go give the eyeballs a rest.
Question - Why does every resistor fall out of the little shipping tape and land upside down? Except the one that landed on an edge. I mean really. How does something that small execute and stick a perfect edge landing?

Latest posts

Back