I was stalked yesterday - literally

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeus-cat

Reaction score
I launched my K&S Artic Wolf twice yesterday. I call it the Polar Viper.

The first picture is from 3 years ago as she was ready to be launched. I included it as I didn't take any prelaunch photo yesterday.

IMG_5700%20(853x1280).jpg

Near apogee (about 2,500 feet), the motor charge fired and the bottom of the avbay ripped apart when the shock cord went taught. The bottom came down under the drogue and wasn't damaged. The avbay stayed with the top and came down flat. When I recovered the top of the rocket I found some "additional damage".

0328151625-01.jpg

0328151625-00.jpg

I always thought the plywood bulkheads were a little thin on this kit, and it appears I was correct. I will be using beefier bulkheads on the rebuild.

Oh buddy! I have one too and I've only flown it twice on a H54. To be fair, those bulkheads were part of that tricky av bay, which I unabashedly adore, but now...heads up! Wonder if I can retrofit G10? Scary!

Aw man that sucks, it's hard to wrap your brain around a piece of stalk piercing the body tube like that, I to have the same kit launched it once on an H123 but it's time to dig it out of the closet and put her in the air again.

WOW!!!!
I ve had minor damage done to a few rockets from the stalks, but nothing like that!!!

Back