Managing trackers

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I will make sure i have a laptop on hand as to Reprogram someones BRB if need be.

Bill I have that covered also, so folks there will be at least 2 guys with laptops that can reprogram BRBs on the fly so to speak!

I think the primary issue will involve fliers forgetting, after recovering their rocket, to notify safety that the frequency is available for use again.
I don't think the issue is that they will be selfish, but more likely forgetful, after the excitement of their flight and recovery.
Hopefully the LCO can issue reminders from time to time on this...

Bill I have that covered also, so folks there will be at least 2 guys with laptops that can reprogram BRBs on the fly so to speak!

That's great! Because anyone on 432.25 or 432.650 will need to have there BRB reprogrammed. He he.

Surely. More than once I've seen people come back after tracking a signal for 2 hours only to find it wasn't their rocket.

We can fix this. Post a rule that says, if you do not post your channel, and someone tracks down your rocket due to your inconsideration, they have the right to keep it...

:dark:

And if I track it to your tent, I get to eat all your food.

One thing ya can do BEFORE turning on a tracker..... turn on your receiver and have a good listen. You'll certainly pick up another device on the same frequency if it's in the parking area or on a pad or in the air, and if you have a good antenna and sensitive receiver you will hear other transmitters on the ground out to around a mile depending on their power setting. This reduces but does not eliminate the likelihood of multiple transmissions on a frequency. Run your receiver gear while waiting for your rocket to fly and listen for anything other than your tones and callsign. This is standard ham practice- listen to the frequency, then transmit.

N

We always expect a few challenges along the way.. that's what keeps some of us going!

Nat hit the nail on the head.. you should always listen first, to be 100% sure you are not going to encounter interference, whatever the source...
That being said I like Al's thoughts! ;)

An interesting consideration is the newer Eggtimer transmitters. How would we post the frequency for those? Or does the pairing handle that problem regardless of frequency?

I agree with Nat also.

Another thing to be very careful of is when using the Comm Spec system to write your FREQUENCY NOT CHANNEL on the board. An issue I had at LDRS 31 during the L900 drag race where a flier was using a R 300 system and his transmitter was channel 243- 222.430 MHz.

I was on channel 69 using an R100 and that was ALSO on 222.430MHz. By the time I turned the tracker on and noticed something wrong, the button was about to be pushed. Went looking for it and ran into CJ in a potato patch tracking the rocket, then we figured out what had happened. Luckily, mine was up over the ridge about a mile or so away, so there was enough separation to find it and remove the battery.

An interesting consideration is the newer Eggtimer transmitters. How would we post the frequency for those? Or does the pairing handle that problem regardless of frequency?
You could just write TRS, freq., I'd code. The nice thing is that there are 72 different options for using the TRS units

Back