Need some help with a design in Open Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
I'm thinking about upscaling the Custom Rockets Nomad. I started playing around with it in Open Rocket, but I'm having some trouble. I had to fake the aft outer tube by making it an inner tube. I also had to make the inner tube an inner tube, but you can't add fins to an inner tube. So I had to add the fins to the forward outer tube, and push them down all the way to the back. But then this threw off the position of the fins, which should be attached to the 2.56 inner tube below the aft outer tube. It also threw off the tabs. Anybody know a better way to do all this?

https://www.customrocketcompany.com/store/index.php?id_product=51&controller=product

nomad1.jpg

nomad2.jpg

nomad4.jpg

nomad5.jpg

nomad6.jpg

nomad3.png

nomad8.jpg

Attachments

• Nomad_4in_2.56in.ork
    1.3 KB · Views: 8
And I can't figure out how to put in the rods between the outer sections, either.

For the rods... I'm thinking a phantom body tube that is the diameter of where the rods would be anchored to, then use launch lugs properly spaced to simulate them.

Here's a concept of what I was thinking of...

Nomad Test.jpg

In my simulation, the "rods" are regularly spaced "launch lugs" made of "pine" (and solid). They are mounted to the phantom body tube that is the ID of the outer tube minus twice the diameter of the "rods". The phantom body tube is .000001" (0") long, and nothing thick. To create the inner "core" I used a combination of body tube (the center section), and inner tubes (the parts that insert inside the outer tubes).

I can't speak as to how accurate it'll sim aerodynamically, but as a rendering of the actual rocket, it should be good.

Nomad Test II.jpg

My first rendering was done just by my memory of the rocket's basic shape... The 2nd is more refined after looking at photos of the actual rocket. Problem is, I don't know jack about the dimensions of this rocket, so I'm certain that my sim is wrong. It's intended as just as a quick proof of concept.

Attachments

• Nomad Test.ork
    1.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Nomad Test II.ork
    1.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
K'Tesh got pretty close.

Attachments

• Nomad_4in_2.56in (Mod).ork
    2.5 KB · Views: 17
Back