Chatted w/ my childhood rocketry bud for the first time in 39 years

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JStarStar

Reaction score
Spotted him on Facebook tonight; he has been on my friends list for 2-3 years but we have never exchanged messages. So I decided to shoot him a PM.

We were pretty good friends in grade school and HS -- not BEST friends but definitely in the same clique -- but after HS basically he pulled up his stakes and left town. It wasn't that we avoided each other but neither of us came back to town at the same time since high school.

As it turns out, he is definitely NOT a BAR -- he didn't exactly laugh when I mentioned I still flew rockets, but he acted like he barely remembered doing it himself. He was deep deep into rocketry in the 1960s, designed and flew his own models, etc etc.

It was kind of a strange conversation, he was not rude but he was fairly short in the convo and 3-4 times said, "oh I don't want to talk about the past, I focus on what I am doing right now."

That's all fine but really neither one of us was doing anything particularly interesting right at the moment, but he kept going on, "wow, doing laundry tonight, what do you have set up for tomorrow, washing the car, grocery shopping," etc etc etc etc ... i mean, who cares??

I don't think I was expecting any huge explosive reunion, but it just felt a bit weird how little we had in common any more. But I guess that's what happens in 39 years.

Time marches on I guess. I have HS friends I haven't talked to in almost 39 years too.

Maybe wait another 39 years and contact him again. :wink:

When you're a kid, you can be friends with whoever is around you. I find I now have so little in common with most of the people I grew up with, and it got to be kind of a bummer. I was looking for this guy I was friends with in 5th grade for several years. I finally realized we'd probably have absolutely nothing in common as adults, and rather than be disappointed, I decided to stop looking.

I hate it when I see someone I knew from say, back in High School, and we catch up for a minute or two at say, the Supermarket or wherever we ran into each other.
At the end of the encounter, they are always like, "We should hang out." or "Are you on Facebook?".
I used to try to be friendly and shrug them off politely, or let them give me their number but then just never call, but now I just flat out tell them, "I don't really like people much, so no, we won't hang out or chat or whatever it is they have suggested we do."
It's not like I'll have anything in common with them, and I truly don't like people, so it's best to just be honest and not waste mine or their time.:)

Uh, well, I have a lot of people on my FB list I never really converse with -- I don't think adding someone to the friends list is some huge commitment.

Although there was one guy from grade school /HS who requested me as a friend -- and we were NOT friends back in school; we hated each other's guts. He spent 2-3 years harrassing me and giving me bloody noses before I got fed up, snuck up behind him, hoisted a school desk (see below) over my head King Kong style and slammed it down full force on his head, knocking him out cold and nearly getting me hauled off to juvie.

At least we'd have had THAT to talk about. :y:

But still, I turned down his request. :eyeroll:

1950-s-school-desk-font.JPG

Last edited:
Back