Would like to know what happened

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REK

TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
Hey guys so I laminated this 75mm carbon tube with a veil layer and everything looked fine after I removed the peel ply. I took a nap, I woke up and I found it had all these little visilble glass strands on it. I hope someone can explain to me what happened and is there a way I can fix it? Your advice is most appreciated.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1427595571.804742.jpg

Here is the tube before my nap.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1427595631.620643.jpg

I had this happen to me on a 5.38" Loc tube I was working on....
The tube had a total of 3 layers of cloth: 2 layers of 6 oz S2 glass and a veil of 3 oz cloth.

I think what happened was: I was running low on epoxy and it could have used more.
The item should look wet when finished applying epoxy to it.
I usually apply a coat to the tube before I lay down the cloth....Most of the time, I never get the non translucent finish or snake skin effect.

What kind of material is underneath the carbon; glass, cardboard?
It too, likes to suck up the resin also giving you a dry tube if not full saturated.

The fix:
Allow it to fully cure then, hit it lightly with sand paper, recoat with a thin layer of epoxy.
It should go clear once fully cured.

JD

I had this happen to me on a 5.38" Loc tube I was working on....
The tube had a total of 3 layers of cloth: 2 layers of 6 oz S2 glass and a veil of 3 oz cloth.

I think what happened was: I was running low on epoxy and it could have used more.
The item should look wet when finished applying epoxy to it.
I usually apply a coat to the tube before I lay down the cloth....Most of the time, I never get the non translucent finish or snake skin effect.

What kind of material is underneath the carbon; glass, cardboard?
It too, likes to suck up the resin also giving you a dry tube if not full saturated.

The fix:
Allow it to fully cure then, hit it lightly with sand paper, recoat with a thin layer of epoxy.
It should go clear once fully cured.

JD

Thanks JD,

Its a pure carbon tube with a 3oz veil layer. I used a total of 118 grams to wet out the carbon and I used 50 grams extra to wet out the 3oz veil layer and peel ply. I do forget glass requires a great degree of saturation compared to carbon. Next time I'll use another whole 118 grams to get a better saturation. Also I think a chip brush will be better. This way I can apply a thick layer of epoxy for it to soak up.

What coarse sandpaper would you recommend and how far deep should I sand into it?

Looks like I made it worse by sanding it. The glass was right at the very top. I havent even sanded away the peel ply texture and the glass still became visible. Oh well, the tube is still very strong and usefull. I gave it a coat of epoxy.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1427644059.897604.jpg

Back