Help! I need an electrician!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patelldp

Reaction score
I am in the process of renovating a South Bend 13" lathe. The biggest change has been swapping from a three phase motor to a single phase motor. I have acquired a capacitor start Hoover 1HP 115/230V motor and wish to wire it 115V for the time being. I would also like to use the stock drum switch that came with the lathe.

The motor nameplate is as follows, as well as the included wiring diagram:

Lathe_Motor_Wiring_Diagram1.jpgLathe_Motor2.jpg

The motor runs great when you wire it as described, meaning black + yellow + 1 to black, Red + Green + 2 to white, and ground the motor. When you plug the cord in, the lathe fires right up. I have scoured the internet to try to figure out what these wires mean in modern-day NEMA convention as this predates that. No luck yet.

Now I'd like to incorporate the switch. I found a diagram (Below) that incorporates my switch but does not have the correct wiring for the motor (5 leads vs. 6 leads).

Lathe_Motor1.jpg

Any help that I can get is much, much appreciated. I essentially need a new left side of that wiring diagram.

Latest posts

Back