Aerotech Serial Numbers: Help Please!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary7

Reaction score
I have what appears to be a little bit older packaging of an Aerotech I218 with what appears to have a serial number stamped on the insert. Yes, I know they all have this.

Looking for anything on the Aerotech site usually yields little to nothing for me but I looked anyway, again unsuccessfully. Can someone tell me what this (serial number?) represents? I am a bit concerned about flying something that may be "too old" or should I worry about it?

Last edited:
It seems that it was made on February (02) first (01), back in 2008 (08). It was in the sixth batch of the day (06). I think. That numbering system is what they use currently.

I concur with eggplant. That's what I arrived at as well, Feb 1, 2008, batch 6.

Greg

I disagree-you should send it to me for testing.....(LOL!)
This unit shold be fine. Look at the grains to make sure they are not swollen or bulging at the ends. You can trim them down a bit if they are but you want a good end to end fit. Also look for ozidation in the slot and sand that down if there is any. I tend to fly a lot of older motors and these are the things I look for. Straight smoke and good chutes, brother!

If the propellant has oxidized, you may notice a lighter color or even dusty appearance to the surface at the ends and in the core or slot. If that's detected, you might want to lightly scrape the core or slot to ensure that fresh propellant is exposed to the igniter burn. (one risk, and I don't mean to suggest that this will happen to you, is that the delay element lights significantly earlier than the rest of the motor, resulting in early deployment - assuming motor deployment)

Mark

Back