Windows 10 Technical Preview?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbrandt

That Darn College Student
Reaction score
Who's gone through and installed this in a VM yet?

I just did as of 5 minutes ago, and am neither impressed nor disappointed. I will keep playing around with it though. :)

What are the system requirements for this? I am shopping for a new machine (that I will probably buy in Win 7) but it would be nice to know that it is upgradable.

I've had it on a spare laptop as the sole OS for about a month. I pretty much like it, but I like 8.1 alright. Not sure why they took the tile interface and shrunk it to the tray off the start menu. Seems like they can't make up their mind. Internet Explorer seems to be much faster on page loads.

The Xbox features are probably pretty cool if you play Xbox.

Requiements are pretty low. Something like 1 gig processor, 2 gig ram, hard drive space.

They changed the interface to be more win7 like, since win 8 was such a bomb. Im still seeing no compelling reason to upgrade from win7 (even if its free), or get new machines with anything other than win7. I cant figure out why M$ insists on trying to turn a computer into something that looks like a child's toy. The OS is there for 2 purposes - provide easy access to files and to run programs and then get out of the way.

Any machine that has Windows 7/8/8.1 gets a free upgrade when the full version comes out. Currently it is still a technical preview, so don't install it as your primary OS.

Last edited:
Any machine that has Windows 7/8/8.1 gets a free upgrade when the full version comes out. Currently it is still an unstable technical preview, so don't install it as your primary OS.

I know that you will be able to get a free upgrade, but they did the same thing moving from XP to 7. The problem was that many XP machines didn't have near enough memory to make the upgrade, free or not. If I am shopping for a machine, I just want to make sure that it can run Win10 if i decide I want the upgrade.

They changed the interface to be more win7 like, since win 8 was such a bomb. Im still seeing no compelling reason to upgrade from win7 (even if its free), or get new machines with anything other than win7. I cant figure out why M$ insists on trying to turn a computer into something that looks like a child's toy. The OS is there for 2 purposes - provide easy access to files and to run programs and then get out of the way.
If Win7 update support ends while Win10 is still their newest OS, Win10 will simply be tolerable because as the builds advance, it brings back SOME useful and, for me, much used features from Win7, but it still offers me nothing whatsoever that's any more useful than Win7. If they'd done some real improvements like better registry monitoring and trash deletion (although the free Auslogics apps are great for this, they shouldn't be necessary), an improved file system they promised years ago but abandoned, a file system designed to make management and searching our very large modern HDs easier and quicker, it might be worthwhile.

However, from day one I could see that Win8 was not really an "upgrade" for users, but was nothing more than a desperate attempt by Microsoft to gain a foothold in THE growth sector of the future, mobile computing, the sector where they had (and may still have) a miserable single digit penetration, by creating a UI most appropriate for touchcentric mobile computing devices and FORCING that UI upon the sector they absolutely dominated, the desktop, in the hopes that would result in more users choosing mobile devices with the same UI simply because of their familiarity with it gained on the desktop. Win8 was actually only an "upgrade" for Microsoft. Microsoft has since admitted exactly that.

One of few real advantages for everyone of a common UI across all devices is the possibility of cross platform development. Microsoft is now more aggressively following that path while actually listening to Win10 preview users and implementing some features from Win7 in Win10 while doing what they should have done in the first place, making variants of the OS for different sectors. However, we still end up with a UI that looks like it was designed by Fisher Price because slick appearance features like Aero Glass aren't visible on a smart phone's small screen and, thus, waist processor and battery power. Also, because of the UI paradigm change, we find that paths to OS controls we are familiar with have changed, controls not used by the majority "content consumers" who do nothing more with their computing devices than send and receive emails, browse the web, and twitter (or whatever) images of their lunch, etc.

Last edited:
I've never understood the complaints from Win 7 users about the Win 8 UI. I used Win 7 at work for three years. Upgraded a home machine from XP to 8.1 and have it configured to run the Win 7 UI. It's more stable than XP and handles devices better. I've also been using Mac OS X at work for the past 4-1/2 years. They each have their charms, but unless and until MS ports Access to the Mac I will continue to use Windows.

....Currently it is still an unstable technical preview, so don't install it as your primary OS.

Did you even try it? Or you just paste and copy comment you read somewhere? I find it very stable and I use it on my main computer, ( I have a Windows 7 Workstation at the side on the same desk ) Of course if someone upgrade to 10 from a corrupt Windows 7, it will not be stable.

Did you even try it? Or you just paste and copy comment you read somewhere? I find it very stable and I use it on my main computer, ( I have a Windows 7 Workstation at the side on the same desk ) Of course if someone upgrade to 10 from a corrupt Windows 7, it will not be stable.

As of my original post, yes. I have used it.
I probably used the wrong phrase. It is still a technical preview, and Microsoft says multiple times not to install it as your primary OS. So, if it crashes, I don't want all of my files going down with it (yes, I back up all of my files, but the trouble of restoring isn't something I exactly like to do. :p )

Yes, it may be stable. But, I would rather use a supported OS as my primary OS and just play around with the tech preview. :)

I just accidentally discovered a single feature that everyone but me probably already knew about that makes me like Win10 a LOT more. I hope it isn't just a developer feature only found within the preview edition build 10041 which I updated to today.

Right click on the windows icon on the far left of the task bar and look at your choices in the pop-up menu. Love it!

Ooooh, thanks guys- I didn't know you could do that!!

Nate

I have win7, I know about win8, and now people are talking about 10...

What happened to 9 ???

Who's gone through and installed this in a VM yet?

I just did as of 5 minutes ago, and am neither impressed nor disappointed. I will keep playing around with it though. :)

I didn't install it on a VM, but installed it as the main os on a Dell Venue 11 Pro (tablet/2-in-one). I much prefer the Windows 8.1 interface. To me, the Windows 10 interface is a step backward. But maybe the Win7 or XP fans will be satisfied. I do like the windowed Metro apps.

What are the system requirements for this? I am shopping for a new machine (that I will probably buy in Win 7) but it would be nice to know that it is upgradable.

I'm running it on a small Core i5 tablet with 2GB main memory and 32GB "disk".

The Win8.1 interface is MUCH more natural to me now than the Win7 (on both desktop and tablet). To me, Win 10 is a step backward.

The Win8.1 interface is MUCH more natural to me now than the Win7 (on both desktop and tablet). To me, Win 10 is a step backward.
On tablets I can see how Win8.1 would be desirable, but I can't see it being better than Win7 on the desktop, at least not how I use my PC. Can you explain? Are you using Metro?

For me, the start screen is basically the start menu, writ large. As people edited the start menu, I also arrange the start screen.
Possibly people with slower machines or slower video see some huge difference, but its all the same to me.

I run both desktop and metro apps. Win 8.1 made this much better, and the better quality of the 8.1 metro apps helped (many of the early 8.0 apps were apparently written by interns, and not very creative ones, at that). Win10 makes the interoperablility between Desktop and Metro much better. File selection sucks in Metro, and still does for the most part.

I have win7, I know about win8, and now people are talking about 10...

What happened to 9 ???

There isn't one. There was some discussion of this in a thread a while back but the short version is that they were afraid that some systems/programs would mistake Win9 for and earlier version such as Win95 or Win98 so they skipped 9 and went straight to 10.

The wife and I are both getting new laptops and a new tower for our son with tax refund this year. Son is still on XP, our current laptops are on Vista. I have read so many bad things in the past week about W8 and a slew of problems on new computers that I can't see enjoying using it at all. Son's new tower will have W7Pro. New AMD A10 processor running at 3.9ghz, 8gig ram, expandable to 32, Radeon R7 graphics, HP by bread. Only decent deal I could find on laptops with the AMD A10 Pro's have W8.1. Would it be possible to use the disc from my son's tower for both new laptops?

The wife and I are both getting new laptops and a new tower for our son with tax refund this year. Son is still on XP, our current laptops are on Vista. I have read so many bad things in the past week about W8 and a slew of problems on new computers that I can't see enjoying using it at all. Son's new tower will have W7Pro. New AMD A10 processor running at 3.9ghz, 8gig ram, expandable to 32, Radeon R7 graphics, HP by bread. Only decent deal I could find on laptops with the AMD A10 Pro's have W8.1. Would it be possible to use the disc from my son's tower for both new laptops?

Woody- unfortunately not. Each copy of Windows is individually licensed. If the windows setup disc for the tower was generic windows (not branded specifically for the tower hardware configuration) you could use the disc to set up the laptops (presuming the laptops actually had a dvd drive, getting rarer these days), but you would still need to purchase license keys for windows to activate the OS on the laptops.

Also, it's possible that Windows 7 drivers don't exist for some of the newest laptop hardware.

Windows 8.1 can be configured to look mostly like Windows 7. Original Windows 8 got a lot of bad reviews but people I know who actually use 8.1 say it's just fine.

Marc

I am not a fan of there new subscribe model they went to with the new os. They talked about it for a few years before win 8 but they finally did it with win 10. No thanks, I'll just stick with my Linux.

I like win 8 a lot and I won't upgrade to the new one. The finally removed the full screen start menus like win8 has. I use win 8 as a media center on my big screen tv so now they took away the best feature for media center pcs.

Back