Windows 10 Technical Preview?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
The wife and I are both getting new laptops and a new tower for our son with tax refund this year. Son is still on XP, our current laptops are on Vista. I have read so many bad things in the past week about W8 and a slew of problems on new computers that I can't see enjoying using it at all. Son's new tower will have W7Pro. New AMD A10 processor running at 3.9ghz, 8gig ram, expandable to 32, Radeon R7 graphics, HP by bread. Only decent deal I could find on laptops with the AMD A10 Pro's have W8.1. Would it be possible to use the disc from my son's tower for both new laptops?

Windows 8.1 is just fine. You can make it work mostly like Windows 7 if you want (most things can be done either the old way, or the new way). I suggest giving 8.1 at least a couple of weeks chance.

I use 8.1 on all my machines at home (well, and Windows 10 on one). My work laptop came with Windows 8.1, but the previous employee put Win 7 on it, and other than the Aero eye candy effects (transparent borders and such) on Windows 7, I don't perceive any real differences.

I am not a fan of there new subscribe model they went to with the new os. They talked about it for a few years before win 8 but they finally did it with win 10. No thanks, I'll just stick with my Linux.

I like win 8 a lot and I won't upgrade to the new one. The finally removed the full screen start menus like win8 has. I use win 8 as a media center on my big screen tv so now they took away the best feature for media center pcs.

It is still there. There are a bunch of ways to configure it, biased toward a Win 7 viewpoint. Just click on the notifications icon (how you used to access the charms bar) and click on "Tablet Mode" at the bottom. They've changed from left-right scrolling to top-bottom scrolling, and merged it a bit with the apps screen. I wish they'd left it alone, but it still works.

And, it isn't a subscribe mode, yet, not that it matters that much. I use Office 365, and other than the yearly subscription, it's no different from old Office (and it's super easy to get it to work on up to five other computers -- and yes, Windows Phone too).

Last edited:
Interesting. I don't have that option. I'm running the 10041 technical preview, on a laptop not in tablet mode, but that doesn't seem to matter.

View attachment 259640

Apparently this option went away in the previous build 9926. Some answers here:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...u-in-w10/54753db4-0ec8-428b-a343-5112224712e0
It might be the result of Microsoft doing the automatic adjustment of OS characteristics based upon what type of system it detects it's running on, something they said they'd be doing. Does your laptop have a touchscreen?

OS and browser prevalence based upon fedgov web site visits:

https://analytics.usa.gov/ (very detailed breakdowns)

platform-usage-dap-20150327.jpg

desktop-browser-usage-dap-20150327.jpg

mobile-browser-usage-dap-20150327.jpg

windows-versus-mac-dap-20150327.jpg

windows-versions-dap-20150327.jpg

Odd, mine doesn't have that feature, but then again I have enterprise edition. I've been testing it out at work. :)

To the subscribe topic, last i knew it was going to be unless they changed their minds on it. The info was in one of keynote things from ms.

It is still there. There are a bunch of ways to configure it, biased toward a Win 7 viewpoint. Just click on the notifications icon (how you used to access the charms bar) and click on "Tablet Mode" at the bottom. They've changed from left-right scrolling to top-bottom scrolling, and merged it a bit with the apps screen. I wish they'd left it alone, but it still works.

And, it isn't a subscribe mode, yet, not that it matters that much. I use Office 365, and other than the yearly subscription, it's no different from old Office (and it's super easy to get it to work on up to five other computers -- and yes, Windows Phone too).

Last edited:
There isn't one. There was some discussion of this in a thread a while back but the short version is that they were afraid that some systems/programs would mistake Win9 for and earlier version such as Win95 or Win98 so they skipped 9 and went straight to 10.

I have win7, I know about win8, and now people are talking about 10...

What happened to 9 ???

@Peartree -- you were supposed to say, "Because 7 - 8 - 9"...

I thought it was because 9 sounds like nein, and nein means no, and so nobody would buy something called Windows No.

I thought it was because 9 sounds like nein, and nein means no, and so nobody would buy something called Windows No.
No one knows for sure last time I checked, but there was speculation that poorly written software used "9" as a check for "95" and "98" although I'm not even sure if that's correct. Haven't checked for the latest theory.

I'm not sure if this works. "Nein" (No) and "Neuen" (Nine) are pronounced differently. Though if it were true, it would be sufficient reason from a marketing standpoint to avoid it.

The Chevy Nova never sold well in Spanish speaking countries since Nova translated literally as "No Go."

Looks like build 10049 is installing on my machine now. How did they do that? I thought I turned that machine off. ;)
We'll see what tweaks they've made, and I'll probably get a first look at the Spartan web browser.

I didn't install it on a VM, but installed it as the main os on a Dell Venue 11 Pro (tablet/2-in-one). I much prefer the Windows 8.1 interface. To me, the Windows 10 interface is a step backward. But maybe the Win7 or XP fans will be satisfied. I do like the windowed Metro apps.

Have you tried the tablet mode? This looks like it could help you (I just found it and didn't test it thoroughly).
W10_tp_10041_tablet_mode.png

Reinhard

I just received an update notification for Win 10.
I bought my new rig about 3 weeks ago.
It came with win 7.
I wanted to move it to the SSD and had to go Win 8.1 pro to do so..

JD

Been using it for a bit now. It's very stable, is similar to 7 with an improved "8" interface and offers some nice new features. Most of my rigs are on 7, with one touch device on 8.1. I may migrate all mine to 10 AFTER the first service pack. :)

been looking at various things about w10, win media center out(can't say that I'll miss something that I've never used), have to get a newer solitaire game, drat guess I'll won't get to 20k games played :). the only app that needs replacing is one the install program will fetch, Norton AV. doubt that I will go out of my way to get a microphone just to talk to my computer(for me Cortana sounds like an unneeded feature), the new browser looks like it will take some getting used to.
Rex

July 29th.
An "Update Reservation" icon is to be pushed via a system update to eligible Win7 and Win8.1 users and appear as an icon in the Windows system tray in the lower right corner:

How to reserve your free copy of Windows 10
A new notification prompts Windows 7 and 8.1 users to reserve an upgrade to the upcoming OS

https://www.cnet.com/news/how-to-reserve-your-free-copy-of-windows-10/

I read somewhere that this is being done to allow server download priority for those who download from the same IP they made their reservation from.

Is Windows 10 ready?

https://www.theverge.com/2015/6/2/8704191/is-windows-10-ready

Excerpt:

Windows 10 has progressed well over its relatively short development period. If you compare preview builds from two months ago to today, there are many changes and improvements, but still a lot of bugs. While it’s two months until release date, Microsoft will still complete a process known as release to manufacturing (RTM) later this month. Windows might be switching to a servicing model with regular updates, but there’s still a final point needed for PC makers to start loading their own images to ship devices in time for the back to school period and the holidays. That RTM phase means Microsoft only has a few weeks to get Windows 10 ready before it has to rely on patches and hotfixes that can be distributed automatically to machines once they’re upgraded.

A few weeks doesn’t seem like enough time right now, especially given the current state of Windows 10. The latest build (10130) looks almost finished and polished, but then there are continued issues with the Start Menu not opening or crashing and driver problems that are slightly alarming at this stage of development. Perhaps the biggest issue I have encountered is the upgrade process between builds. Microsoft has been testing this vigorously, as it’s a key part of getting Windows 7 and Windows 8 users to Windows 10 for free. If an upgrade fails then it’s one less machine running the latest operating system. I’ve had a variety of upgrade failures, even with the recent builds that Microsoft has distributed.

These could all be fairly minor bugs, but they’ve been consistent and present throughout the Windows 10 development period, which suggests there have been some issues that have prevented Microsoft addressing them fully. Fortunately, Microsoft is now in a period of code completion. Additions to the core of Windows 10 will be locked soon, and Microsoft is now focused on improving the built-in apps and crushing bugs. Like any version of Windows, Microsoft has a number of tests and processes to check off before it declares Windows 10 is ready. The overall bug count will have to drop, and the company will decide which bugs can wait for launch day patches and prioritize accordingly.

been looking at various things about w10, win media center out(can't say that I'll miss something that I've never used), have to get a newer solitaire game, drat guess I'll won't get to 20k games played :). the only app that needs replacing is one the install program will fetch, Norton AV. doubt that I will go out of my way to get a microphone just to talk to my computer(for me Cortana sounds like an unneeded feature), the new browser looks like it will take some getting used to.
Rex
6 Features Disappearing in Windows 10 (and How to Replace Them)

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2485170,00.asp

Back