New PS II rocket - Scion

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a form letter.

Thanks for posting that...people should remember to modify the form letter a little, and personalize it, so it doesn't look like a form letter.

If people don't have M$ Word, I could post or send them a .rtf file.

Perhaps this can/should be posted/moved in it's own thread to generate support and to not hi-jack this thread.

It says out of stock on the page itself, but you can order one by going to the listing for it under the "what's new" tab or searching for it.

It says out of stock on the page itself, but you can order one by going to the listing for it under the "what's new" tab or searching for it.

yep, you're right. that is weird and I hope that they are actually ready to fulfill orders

yep, you're right. that is weird and I hope that they are actually ready to fulfill orders

I have 'heard' that the Scion kits have been packaged and are ready to ship. :wink:

I ordered two of the kits.

Surprised nobody's done this yet...

009712_main.png

Posted the image from Estes' website...

And my thoughts on what it would look like if it's really based on the Leviathan

Estes Scion (9712) Concept Icon.jpg

Mind you, mine is only a guess.

Last edited:
I have spent the last few days mangling my Leviathan, and let me say, there is no way they made the body tube lighter while retaining any structure at all.

My .ork simulation puts the Scion as only slightly heavier than the Leviathan, but only by .6 ounces.

The prototype was made from Leviathan parts, except for the slotted tube which was replaced by another full length un-slotted tube. So you remove one fin, reverse their direction and add some inches of body tube and you have a Scion. The Prototype weighs in at 14.7 ounces ready to fly minus engine and paint. The 16.5 ounces on the web site says it's an estimated weight. Some of you will add several ounces more weight in Epoxy alone and others will fiberglass the model and then add 4 to 6 ounces of primer and paint. There is no way to list an exact weight for a model since everyone builds and paints differently. When I build models to be put on display they weigh a TON since I never intend to fly them. Models I fly, I build and paint them to fly.

John Boren

Thanks John :)

Quick question about what you said... "un-slotted tube". Are the Scion's fins surface mounted instead of TTW?

The fins are through the wall but you will have to cut them with the supplied template.

I gotta keep my eyes open for this one. Since it's already out of stock, and the website says "Be sure and get your Scion before they are gone!" I hope it's not a limited edition - or a one-time-only price. $29.99?? I was sure I was done buying kits for a while (I have kind of a lot to build), but at that price, I can't not get one!

I gotta keep my eyes open for this one. Since it's already out of stock, and the website says "Be sure and get your Scion before they are gone!" I hope it's not a limited edition - or a one-time-only price. $29.99?? I was sure I was done buying kits for a while (I have kind of a lot to build), but at that price, I can't not get one!

Don't go to the product page, but just find it via the drop down menu of Rockets / Pro Series II / Rockets. The add to cart button is then there and active.

I just got my shipping confirmation so it is on its way!

Does it seem a little bit like cheating to call this a "new" rocket when it's so similar to a Leviathan --- fins flipped around, 3 instead of 4, and a few inches longer? I guess there are plenty of rockets like that, just simple variations on basically the same parts list.

I'm looking forward to some new PSII kits that really are new. We need some new fin designs, or the same fin profiles with different tab lengths for different tube diameters (like Partizon fins tabbed for the 3" airframe). We need some more nosecone designs. A transition from 2.5" to 3", or 3" to 4" would be cool. With a few more parts to work with, there could be a lot more designs.

Surprised nobody's done this yet...

009712_main.png

Posted the image from Estes' website...

And my thoughts on what it would look like if it's really based on the Leviathan

View attachment 259849

Mind you, mine is only a guess.

So, your thoughts are that it would look exactly like it does in the Estes Picture???
I'de say your guess is probably correct.

So, your thoughts are that it would look exactly like it does in the Estes Picture???
I'de say your guess is probably correct.

I can't say it's completely correct I was just testing a hypothesis, and it turned out I was right. However, I hadn't accounted for the fin tabs being altered. I had altered the centering rings locations to reflect the changes, and left the fin tabs unchanged, unless John meant that the slots need to be cut by the end user (which is easy enough to do, and probably what he did mean).

I'd like to see the painting guides for this. I'm really interested in how close I got to the "stock" paint scheme with my .ork file.

Last edited:
I can't say it's completely correct, I hadn't accounted for the fin tabs being altered. I had altered the centering rings locations to reflect the changes, and left the fin tabs unchanged, unless John meant that the slots need to be cut by the end user (which is easy enough to do.

I'd like to see the painting guides for this. I'm really interested in how close I got to the "stock" paint scheme with my .ork file.

I'de also say, the Paint Scheme reminds me of your Avatar.
Those are great colors!!!

Don't go to the product page, but just find it via the drop down menu of Rockets / Pro Series II / Rockets. The add to cart button is then there and active.

I just got my shipping confirmation so it is on its way!

That's true - odd. The page itself says "Out of Stock," but if you see it in a list of "What's New," you can add it to the shopping cart.

So I did!

OK, now no more buying rocket kits until I'm settled into my new place. Unless there's a sale...

Does it seem a little bit like cheating to call this a "new" rocket when it's so similar to a Leviathan --- fins flipped around, 3 instead of 4, and a few inches longer? I guess there are plenty of rockets like that, just simple variations on basically the same parts list.

You've just succinctly described the entire Estes catalog. John has done an admirable job of shuffling around a limited number of parts on an almost certainly limited development budget to create a vast array of almost-unique products.

James

Speaking of sales...I haven't seen anything about an Estes Easter sale. JumpJet...any word?

I'm kinda surprised to see a new Builder PSII. Frys and Hobby Lobby no longer seem to carry PSII builder kits, and they seemed to be the largest outlet for both. All I see on the pegs (again) are E2X and RTF.

Last edited:
You've just succinctly described the entire Estes catalog. John has done an admirable job of shuffling around a limited number of parts on an almost certainly limited development budget to create a vast array of almost-unique products.

Thanks for the almost complement. Estes has created more new parts these parts 6 years then the previous 20+ years before that, but of course I reuse parts on more then one model, it helps keep the company in business.

John Boren

I doubt that the first draft of the painting instructions are correct.... Here they are...

Scion Painting instructions (original).png

And my interpretation based on the given numbers (except for the nosecone, which would have taken too long to sim).

The fins are only 3.125" at the tip chord. 3" of blue leaves only 1/8" for the white.

Compare that to my original simulation.

In the image above, my nosecone has 2.25" of blue, my blue and white bands are .75" the black bands are 1.75", and the fins are 1.5" white, and 1.625" blue.

Now I'm thinking that the blue and white bands might have been .625" each (thus 1.25" combined), and 1.5625" for the blue and white sections (each) on the fins (thus making them half blue/half white from a tip chord perspective).

Last edited:
Back