New PS II rocket - Scion

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received my order of Scion rockets from Estes today.

That's a whole lotta' rocket for only $30. Good value. :)

Last edited:
anyone built it yet? I won't for a while...still working my way up to building these

I had one in the cart and had to un plug..want it but didnt want to foot the freight for one item.

Very cool class one rocket !

Kenny

anyone built it yet? I won't for a while...still working my way up to building these

Yes... Kinda...

As part of my commercial build, I received a number of Leviathans (7 in total, one for the client, one for me, and due to shipping problems, four additional ones, plus the one I bought for myself when I thought my client wasn't going to commit). I had the parts, so I've cloned it. I've got to finish the fillets, glue the forward section to the fin can (plus the baffle I'm planning on installing), install the laundry, and paint it.

Someone said on the NAR Facebook page that it comes with 4 fins, and you cut the slots yourself. So you can make a Scion, or a Leviathan, or an extra long Leviathan, or whatever you like with the parts provided. Can anyone confirm how many fins come with the kit?

Someone said on the NAR Facebook page that it comes with 4 fins, and you cut the slots yourself. So you can make a Scion, or a Leviathan, or an extra long Leviathan, or whatever you like with the parts provided. Can anyone confirm how many fins come with the kit?

It uses three fins. I've confirmed that with Mary, and the image bears that out. Looks like they've corrected the painting instructions.

Estes Scion (9712) 2nd draft paint instructions

Last edited:

My Scion kit came with 4 fins in a sealed bag. I'm sure they were pre-packaged for the Leviathan and then used on the 3 fin Scion resulting in an extra unused fin in the kit.

My Scion kit came with 4 fins in a sealed bag. I'm sure they were pre-packaged for the Leviathan and then used on the 3 fin Scion resulting in an extra unused fin in the kit.

Thanks for confirming. That's what I meant. The kit calls for three fins, but it comes with four. And the tube is unslotted, so you can slot for three or four. Instructions may call for an "upside down" orientation, but you could use them the other direction, if you wanted. If you want a Scion, follow the directions, but the parts give you lots of other options.

I'll bet were still a year out from seeing someone actually build one.:wink:

Is the scion taller than the partizon?

From the Estes website, the he Partizon is listed as 56" tall, whereas the Scion say's it's 51.9" tall.

I think the Scion's numbers are a little off, but not be 5". So, the answer is: No.

Looks like they've corrected the painting instructions.

Looks can be deceiving... I ran the numbers and this is what the 2nd draft of painting instructions would yield.

I've rotated Estes original 2nd draft instructions

And here's my original again...

16434915124_51fe33327f_c.jpg

I think that my blue bands need to be wider, but not 1.25" wide, and 3.75" still seems too big for the black bands.

Last edited:

That might've been me.

DSCN0644.jpg

Here's my fleet of PSII based builds, including the Scion. All are works in progress. As of this afternoon, the Cherokee D now is in white primer.

I've got a 2" Yellow Jacket upscale, the Leviathan, 2.5" Cherokee D Upscale, Ventris, Scion, Partizon, Argent, and Stretched Leviathan (for now).

I'm seeing a MDRM, and 4" Cineroc/Omega in my future, along with the Standard Missile. The Ventris may very well become a Titan IIIE (like) rocket using leftovers from the Cineroc's cannibalizing of the D Region Tomahawk.

Last edited:
Here's my fleet of PSII based builds, including the Scion. All are works in progress. As of this afternoon, the Cherokee D now is in white primer.

I've got a 2" Yellow Jacket upscale, the Leviathan, 2.5" Cherokee D Upscale, Ventris, Scion, Partizon, Argent, and Stretched Leviathan (for now).

I'm seeing a MDRM, and 4" Cineroc/Omega in my future, along with the Standard Missile. The Ventris may very well become a Titan IIIE (like) rocket using leftovers from the Cineroc's cannibalizing of the D Region Tomahawk.

Cool fleet!

There's some kind of optical illusion in this picture that makes your Leviathan look like it has a larger diameter than the Scion or Stretched Leviathan. I think the Ventris will want some fins before flying. You need an MDRM and a Nike Smoke now.

BTW, the Nike Smoke with a Leviathan nose cone makes a cool Hornet-like upscale --- food for thought from your friendly TRF rocketry enablers!

So the Estes web site is showing these as out of stock, with the ominous "be sure to get yours before they're gone". Are they printing more kits, or is that it?

Cool fleet!

There's some kind of optical illusion in this picture that makes your Leviathan look like it has a larger diameter than the Scion or Stretched Leviathan. I think the Ventris will want some fins before flying. You need an MDRM and a Nike Smoke now.

BTW, the Nike Smoke with a Leviathan nose cone makes a cool Hornet-like upscale --- food for thought from your friendly TRF rocketry enablers!

Thanks!

I was standing closer to the Leviathan side of the cluster, perhaps that's part of the illusion, Also, the Scion is leaning away from the camera.

About the Hornet... Hmmm... However, thanks to the commercial build deal apparently falling through, I've got Leviathans to spare (and 3" body tubes too). I might try that after I tackle the Standard Missile.

Last edited:
Back