Declassified 28 year old report on Israeli military tech

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
The just released report that some are getting all bent out of shape about for no good reason. Among other military tech areas, it describes very general details about their nuke program, most of which would be obvious to assume they had based upon the known fact that they have nukes. This report is so old that it describes a 12,000 gate integrated circuit as "high technology." It says that their nuke tech in 1987 was where ours was from 1955 to 1960, actually very considerable tech.

Still, it's interesting and I wonder how these details were obtained. Mole? NSA (very capable even way back then)?

https://irmep.org/cfp/DoD/071987_CTAIIANN.pdf

EDIT: will add the most interesting details here as I find them.

Too much to type here. The most interesting parts of the report to me are the whopping two whole pages of very general nuke info starting on page III-4 (p20 of PDF), general military tech found on III-54 (p70 of PDF) through III-56, and what would have been revolutionary tech if it had panned out found on page II-1 (p85 of PDF) through II-4. If it HAD panned out, it would have been redacted from this document. Apparently, it didn't or less survivable and concealable ELF methods were deemed to be adequate. It was a rocket propelled "bellringer" laser that would laser pulse illuminate from sub-orbital space a 1 million square kilometer ocean area to a depth of 1,500 feet for submarine EAM signalling in wartime although such illumination might also allow general area submarine detection.

This report actually has much more info about Israeli nukes starting on page 5 of the PDF:

Study on a Possible Israeli Strike on Iran’s Nuclear Development Facilities

https://csis.org/files/media/csis/pubs/090316_israelistrikeiran.pdf

I don't recall anyone griping about it, probably because of the title topic and its source:

The Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) is a prominent American think tank based in Washington, D.C., in the United States. The center conducts policy studies and strategic analyses of political, economic and security issues throughout the world, with a specific focus on issues concerning international relations, trade, technology, finance, energy and geostrategy.

In the University of Pennsylvania's 2013 Global Go To Think Tanks Report, CSIS is ranked the number one think tank in the world for security and international affairs and was also ranked as the 4th best overall think tank in the world.[1] It has been called "one of the most respected of Washington think tanks."[2]

Since its founding, CSIS "has been dedicated to finding ways to sustain American prominence and prosperity as a force for good in the world," according to its website.[3]

Last edited:
Interesting that the subject matter is so out of date but yet they feel the need to redact so extensively.

Interesting that the subject matter is so out of date but yet they feel the need to redact so extensively.
I suspect that's because the redacted materials are all related to allies who haven't been caught spying on us so very many times.

Every country spies on everyone else.
It's the old Cat and Mouse game of who gets caught first.....

JD

Every country spies on everyone else.
It's the old Cat and Mouse game of who gets caught first.....

JD
Are you saying the Israelis are inferior spies who just happen to get caught over and over again whereas other allies don't. I REALLY doubt that. They're very sharp.

I don't disagree with your everybody spies on everyone else thing, I just believe that the MORE you spy the more likely you are to get CAUGHT and that that is the case with Israel.

Next they will release “The Kaisers’” plans for using dirigibles to bomb London, France’s plans for the Maginot Line and I think there is something about General Santa Ann’s plans for the Alamo.

Though there has been so much redaction on the latter it is difficult to tell.

I remember during the late 1970's, reading about people on the Atlantic seaboard hearing mysterious loud/distant booms. Some speculation (at the time) was that it was the Israelis testing their nukes in the South Atlantic.

Next they will release “The Kaisers’” plans for using dirigibles to bomb London, France’s plans for the Maginot Line and I think there is something about General Santa Ann’s plans for the Alamo.

Though there has been so much redaction on the latter it is difficult to tell.
Besides the spattering of interesting tech within the release, you make one of my minor points in posting this thread. As usual, much ado about nothing is being made over this release.

Oops! As an eastern bloc reporter once told a western reporter, a true story that I'm paraphrasing, "In the east we assume that most of what we hear from our government is a lie, in the west you incorrectly assume that most of what you are told is the complete truth."

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/...l-directly-contradicted-secret-nsa-documents/

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu yesterday vehemently denied a Wall Street Journal report, leaked by the Obama White House, that Israel spied on U.S. negotiations with Iran and then fed the intelligence to Congressional Republicans. His office’s denial was categorical and absolute, extending beyond this specific story to U.S.-targeted spying generally, claiming: “The state of Israel does not conduct espionage against the United States or Israel’s other allies.”

Israel’s claim is not only incredible on its face. It is also squarely contradicted by top-secret NSA documents, which state that Israel targets the U.S. government for invasive electronic surveillance, and does so more aggressively and threateningly than almost any other country in the world. Indeed, so concerted and aggressive are Israeli efforts against the U.S. that some key U.S. government documents — including the top secret 2013 intelligence budget — list Israel among the U.S.’s most threatening cyber-adversaries and as a “hostile” foreign intelligence service.

One top-secret 2008 document features an interview with the NSA’s Global Capabilities Manager for Countering Foreign Intelligence, entitled “Which Foreign Intelligence Service Is the Biggest Threat to the US?” He repeatedly names Israel as one of the key threats.

While noting that Russia and China do the most effective spying on U.S., he says that “Israel also targets us.” He explains that “A NIE [National Intelligence Estimate] ranked [Israel] as the third most aggressive intelligence service against the US.” While praising the surveillance relationship with Israel as highly valuable, he added: “One of NSA’s biggest threats is actually from friendly intelligence services, like Israel.” Specifically, the Israelis “target us to learn our positions on Middle East problems.”

Back