Repurposed paint/display stand [now with how to, pics, and source]

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonimus

Reaction score
Here's a couple pictures of what I'm using as a stand to paint my rockets on. It's a cheapo camera tripod from Walmart, but the same ones can be found practically anywhere. If you take out the bolt that locks the pan direction of the pan/tilt head, the whole assembly comes off. Then you're left with a nub that's usually very close to 1 inch in diameter. If you need to sand it down a little to fit 24mm, it's no issue as it's just plastic. I then wrapped some tape around the nub where the pan/tilt head was, and slid a cut up AT single use case on it. This is what I've been using to paint my 4" Madcow Patriot. In its collapsed state as shown in the pictures, it works well as a display stand.

Last edited:
Okay, here's a new tripod I sourced, from Amazon. It's a Sunpak 5200D, $9 with free shipping if you have Prime. Here's the tripod:

Remove the pan lock thumb screw, and the whole head comes off. Here's the tripod with the pan/tilt head removed, and the size of the extension shaft:

Larger cap diameter:

Smaller cap diameter:

The cap is threaded and glued in. If you don't worry about stripping the threads, you can work the cap out like you would a cork. The cap can be replaced and if you decide you want to use it as a camera tripod again, some glue and you're good to go.

Back