Is Proline 4500 epoxy appropriate for wood/phenolic?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketDude77

Reaction score
As per title; is Proline 4500 epoxy appropriate for plywood/phenolic, both as a butt-joint adhesive and fillet material?

There's zero information on the manufacturers site about applications! ;)

If not, I guess typical Bob Smith-style epoxy and microballoons/filler is the way to go for fillets? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Good question, my knee jerk response is it is more intended for fiberglass but I can't back that up.

Appropriate? Yes, it would work fine. Necessary? probably not, at least for the butt joints. You could use wood glue for the butt joints and the connection will be just as strong as the plywood/phenolic itself. The material strength that you are bonding is the limiting factor. Wood glue is cheaper and lighter, and epoxy is advantageous with fiberglass applications. Wood glue isn't great for fillets because it shrinks a lot, so using epoxy would be OK for fillets.

Watch out for using a lot of fillers with the Bob Smith epoxy, the fillers can accelerate an already short cure time and you want to make sure you have plenty of time to get the fillets just the way you want them before it starts to harden.

9020081853_77efe789b6_z.jpg

Works on bluetube and wood.

Back