Started a grassfire with NO ROCKETS ON SITE

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cory

Reaction score
I recently began building and testing motors. When I approached my friend who owns land near town even after explaining the risks he was almost as excited as I was to get started. After plowing the area we set up the stand in a dried up pond bed. After almost 7 years being dry, the water system has been repaired and the site is currently being flooded. Saturday the land owner and I drove around the square mile available and choose a new spot. We agreed the first thing necessary was a good mow to mitigate the fire hazard and allow the newly budding grass to grow quicker and greener.

Monday after work I headed out with my 48" decked riding mower. The idea was to knock everything down on the highest setting, then work from the middle out on a lower setting and push all the cut dry grass to the side. I have done this multiple times originally learned 10+ years ago working on a golf course. Well this grass was taller and probably drier. With only a few passes remaining before calling it quits the grass was piling up pretty high and while pushing a large pile the mower started bogging down and I reversed. IMMEDIATELY the pile went up in flames. The landowner and neighboring landowner where nearby after a few calves had crossed the fence and were able to hear me yell and were close enough to see the fire begin. Three of us worked to try to contain the blaze to no avail. Within less than 2 minutes the fire was obviously out of control and I called a friend and local volunteer firefighter to respond. Luckily fireman were onsight 7 miles out of town - 1 mile from the county road about 10 minutes later - with the county commissioner showing up with 2 road maintainers 10 minutes later.

This is what I was working with-

The small amount of mowed grass not burnt from the above picture at center left.

Taken from fire break across from first two pictures. Notice the almost clean square area under and past the tree - this was the center of my mowed area and had very little burnable material when the fire began.

With truck for perspective.

From the farther reaches of the fire to the beginning.

Truck over hill out of sight.

WAY TO CLOSE! This fence separates the two landowners property and cattle.

After the excitement died down and fire was obviously under control, I was relieved to find out no one wanted my head on a platter. Everyone who had witnessed the circumstances agreed it was an accident, albeit an avoidable one. There was even talk about doing a controlled burn of the pictured shinery row while everyone was there, but darkness was to near. The question did finally come up - WHY were you mowing this random strip of grass?
I was a little nervous, but answered honestly and received the anticipated stare when I said trying to make a site as fire safe as possible for rocket motor testing. After a few minutes explaining myself, and proving I wasn't making it up by showing the fire chief a video of a recent test burn, a new wave of conversation and questioning began with several curious firefighters and county officials. It was even stated they would be interested to watch a test, and could bring some fire support.

The landowner ended up saying the spot was now better than ever for the intended purpose, and we plan to maintain the short grass and firebreaks provided by the accident and rescue.

It should be noted I recently completed mounting a 25 gallon water tank to my ATV, and work is underway on a 330 gallon water tank with a 3" gas powered water pump to serve as the properties "Fire Prevention and Control" trailer.

Murphy's law at work, but good thing is that no one was hurt and no real property damage. All things considered, this sounded like it was the best way to learn this the hard way and I'm and very happy to hear that you had an understanding group around.

About 30-40 or so years ago, my grandfather used to burn off his yard every year in the spring. Seemed to be a fairly common phenomenon back then. Nothing got out of control, nobody's house burned, nobody panicked. Today they would haul you off and throw you under the jail.

Glad everything turned out OK for you.

It's an ironic turn of events, but it sounds like the area is about as fire safe as it can be now. Funny how things work out. The cool thing is that if the fire department and county officials are interested and on board now, you might be able to get help with a controlled burn in the future if you need to clear the area again.

Thick dry grass, friction from mower blades or belts, engine spark?

Just last year, an ocean side home owner began mowing the sand dunes in front of his home, to improve his view. When he was finished 25 acreas of dunes had been burnt, two other home threatened, one damage and he lost his mower to the fire. So, Cory, you off lucky and that you do not have to pay for damages to a neighbors house.

Oh yes, this was the second time he had started a fire with his mower. A slow leaner...I guess.

Where I live (central CA), you are supposed to have a spark suppressor installed on your mower, and mow early in the morning before 10am...during fire season, but heck, I think the whole year is fire season, almost.

A fellow a couple years back didn't have a spark suppressor, was mowing his lawn mid-day/early afternoon, and "won" (or earned, depending on how you look at it) a $150,000 or so bill from the fire department, after starting a fire that required several trucks and some airplane water drops to put out.

Basically, any activity that can cause a spark can lead to a fire, and with how dry things are here and in Texas, we all need to be real careful. I'm glad things worked out well...fire is really scary.

I'm curious exactly how did the fire actually start?

Bob

This a point of some debate. Initially it was thought excessive grass build up caused the belts to slip on the pulleys causing enough friction to start the fire. My research indicates this type of fire usually engulfs the mower, and that did not happen in my case (LUCKILY).

As mentioned I was trying to clear the cut grass from the area and I was pushing large mounds with the blade deck and front wheels. I believe I pushed grass into contact with the muffler (not sure if it has a spark arrestor) after ~2hrs of non-stop running. I actually got stuck on the grass pile and as soon as I reversed - WHOOF.

Seemed perfectly normal at the time, but now I realize this was a STUPID way to go about clearing the grass. As mentioned I was very lucky to be surrounded by an understanding even humourous group. As Thirsty mentions it actually opened many windows of understanding for me and the local first responders. I really hope a few gain interest, I plan to fly a Loki G80 in my L1 bird at the next test if any show up to try and set the hook!

Amazing what a mowing, burning, and a little rain have done to transform the place!
16963477137_68ca926306_z.jpg
[/url]

Back