RIP...Ron "Chilli Man"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAllen

Reaction score
If you've ever been a regular at Three Oaks launches then you certainly know of Ron "The Chilli Man" and probably had a bowl of his delicious concoction. It's with sadness to report that after a long hiateous from launches Ron finally went to meet his maker in Heaven. He was a consumate fixture on the flight line serving up bowl after bowl of warm your soul chilli on those cold flying days. I doubt he ever made enough money off his chilli to even barely cover his costs so I suspect he did this service out of kindness and comradery.

This video sorta says it all about Ron...what a character who will be missed.

[YOUTUBE]ycWMvCHnN9I[/YOUTUBE]

I've been to a few Three Oaks launches a decade or more ago -- it's always at that time of year when it could be 60 degrees and sunny, or 35 degrees and freezing rain, and hot chili definitely hit the spot on those frosty freezing mornings. RIP to Ron The Chili Man and they better prepare for some spicy goodness up at the pearly gates.

Always sad to hear of the passing of a fellow rocketeer. RIP Chili Man.

How did he heat that big pot in his trunk???

Always sad to hear of the passing of a fellow rocketeer. RIP Chili Man.

How did he heat that big pot in his trunk???

A camping stove inside his trunk haha.

The funny thing is, it looked like the most sketchy set up but to my knowledge no one ever got sick off his chili. I never did and I must have had hundreds of bowls. On the Michiana Rocketry Facebook page one of our members said he launched a rocket off of his cars antenna. Certainly sounds like Chili Man.

Last edited:
I never met him, but anyone who serves chili from the trunk of his car is alright in my book. I love food from the trunk of a car. Ever bought tamales from the trunk of a car? They're the best!

Anyway... Good on you, Ron, for feeding hungry rocketeers! Rest in peace.

Great guy. Gonna miss him. Best memory with him was with Dave and Chili at a Johny Winter concert. I don't think Chili remembered much of the concert.

I remember the Chili Man
In back in the 90s. One launch he gave the chili away free no donation. In making the chili he noticed the tip of his knife was broke off. He didn't think in was in the large pot of chili. But we all eat it anyway.
Rest in peace CHILI MAN

Back