AV bay all-thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been considering this exact idea for a while. The problem I see is that you'd need a large tab surrounding the attachment points. Imagine a .500" hole with .75" of G10 surrounding it at each end of your 54mm sled. We could use a thicker sled with most of the center milled out to achieve the same weight and strength though. Any material inline with the attachment point holes is just added weight anyway. So, we could use a 3/16" X 1" sled with and mill it into an I-beam profile leaving 2x .187" x .375" bars attached together with a .060" web between them. You could make a simple delrin block on each bulkhead and screw the sled to the block to keep the bulkheads in place.

What about this??...

Make the sled itself the structural component (G-10). Provide some tabs at each end that fit through some slots in the end centering rings (both ends). In those tabs, drill some holes (located to coincide with both surfaces of the centering rings) that you fit some fiberglass 'pins' (say, 1/8" dia x 1/2" long) through (to hold the sled and rings together and in alignment --- this is what would transfer any structural load to/from the rings/sled) and then epoxy the assembly together (which would seal the area from any gas blow-by). This would make the sled/ring assembly one piece, structurally. G-10 has a tensile strength of 38,000 psi (roughly equivalent to steel), so it would be more than capable of carrying whatever load would be imposed - but, if in doubt, route some Kevlar alongside for insurance. A 1/16"t x 54mm sled would be about 0.13 sq.in. area (cross-section) - which would translate into something over 5000lbs tensile - more than 5x what a (steel) 1/4" all-thread rod could carry (and that's without deductions for thread depth).

This is something akin to the post reference Will Ferry mentioned (the 'roll pin' idea):

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?123671&p=1433317#post1433317

I've got several 6' lengths of some 1/8" solid fiberglass rod that I'll hack off a bit and try to do a mockup.

I'm also tinkering with a CAD drawing on this and maybe able to upload once I figure out a few 3D items on the drawing.

-- john

I have also wondered why this isn't the standard. Look at all the hardware that could be minimized. Kevlar could be "glued" inside of the outer wall and passed straight through the bay. Use some putty as it goes through the bulkheads to seal them from gasses.

My 29mm SMART sleds are specifically for this type of shock cord attachment.
il_570xN.643475506_itm5.jpg
\
In my particular implementation there is a place to wrap the Kevlar around a nut for extra strength.

Fiberglass rod? That is interesting. It should be strong enough.

I've been considering this exact idea for a while. The problem I see is that you'd need a large tab surrounding the attachment points. Imagine a .500" hole with .75" of G10 surrounding it at each end of your 54mm sled. We could use a thicker sled with most of the center milled out to achieve the same weight and strength though. Any material inline with the attachment point holes is just added weight anyway. So, we could use a 3/16" X 1" sled with and mill it into an I-beam profile leaving 2x .187" x .375" bars attached together with a .060" web between them. You could make a simple delrin block on each bulkhead and screw the sled to the block to keep the bulkheads in place.

Might need to put together a sketch -- I followed about half of that (the first half), but when you got to "most of the center milled...", things started getting cloudy :)

-- john.

Fiberglass rod? That is interesting. It should be strong enough.

Chuck, are you responding to my post?

If so (or for others), here's a pretty good place to get some of this kind of stuff...

https://goodwinds.com/clearance/clearance-solid-fiberglass.html

... and here's the general link for the 'Clearance' items...

https://goodwinds.com/clearance.html

Back up to their homepage for a wider selection.

I've bought off their 'clearance' page many times and there's some pretty good pricing (and choices) there. Shipping? Not so much (recently got some 3/16" carbon tube (12x30"), + some 1/8" carbon rod (30x24") and some .330" f/g tube (36x11") and the shipping was $18 (one 3" tube)). May be reasonable, but I was figuring in my head something around $12, so it was a little more than I was expecting.

-- john.

Aaaaaah, why not just stick the EggFinder in the metal all thread ebay and put a bulkhead socket for the antenna? Could use a short cable to a linx antenna and zip tie it to the drogue/apogee shockcord?

Sure the range might be down on the up side but once the drogue/antenna deploys should be no problemo.

I have a Beeline GPS tracker that rides in the aft end of an ebay with a bulkhead antenna mount that uses a spring antenna: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SMA-M-Male...610?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3f3aecd2

They don't make 'em for the ISM band though

Last edited:
I'm wondering, how about using the all thread as antenna? You know connect a copper wire to the all thread, and then that goes to the antenna socket.

What about using the sled as the coupling like I have done in my Apache nosecone?
sledtop.jpg

sledbottom.JPG

You could perhaps use a remarkably similar method in your sled. Eye bolts would attach to aluminium parts fixed to the sled. The G10 takes the axial forces.

Steer clear of the nylon allthread. Fails far too easily.

If you wanted to use metal, but reduce the amount, you could use custom bike spokes. They are available in custom lengths, with rolled threads for extra strength (2-56 imperial thread). You can go titanium if you like, which have a breaking strain of around 280kg each (for a 2mm spoke).

Back