Single Use Engine for Leviathan First Flight

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chunker78

Reaction score
Leviathan ready for final coat of paint. I need advice on single use engine for my rocket. I see lots of different engines that folks use. Can't make up my mind. Going with single use for now. Any help appreciated.

Weight it.

Add weight of motor.

Select motor and delay time based on not exceeding motor manufacturer's maximum liftoff weight.

Use a six foot long steel launch rod and do not launch in wind over 5mph.

going ballpark here.... but slap a G77R, G78G or G80T in it and you'll be happy.... Gonna get up there, better have the field for it.... if not....an F42T should give a nice ride.

If you want the least expensive motors, then try the Aerotech Econojet F20-4, F23-4, or F27-4. Those are about $28 for a two pack from Hobbylinc, and there is no hazmat charge for shipping. This gives you some great experience with different propellant types --- white, black, and red. I mostly fly my Leviathan on these.

The Estes or Aerotech F26-6 is good, and so is the Aerotech F25-6, and both pack a bit more punch than the Econojets.

If you really want to send it high, then any aerotech single-use G with a 7-second delay should be great --- G38, G40, G75, G76, G77, G78, G79 would all be good and would send your Leviathan way, WAY up there! This is a HUGE selection of propellants!

I'd probably start with some Econojets and work up.

(Also, I'm personally not a big fan of blue thunder propellant, but if you like the really fast flights with no smoke, then try the F42, F50, and G80.)

I enjoy the push of the blue thunder, but white lightning is a very nice middle ground. Decently fast, a little smokey, and a lot of fun. Blue thunder just looks so cool during its burn.

I've launched sibling rockets Partizon and Argent on F50-6T motors. Great first launch motor; unfortunately, it requires hazmat shipping ($27-30 extra). If you are flying with a club, and the vendor has these in stock, excellent first flight motor. Also one of the Estes recommended motors. Same goes for F26-6FJ. And the G motors. I just flew my Ventris on a G76-7, which was awesome, but that is a reloadable motor.

For non-hazmat shipping: I haven't flown the PS-II series on the F27, F20, F23, or F42 Econojets, although I have flown the F27-4R with other rockets, and it is also a good candidate. You might go to rocketreviews.com to get the rocksim file for the Leviathan, download OpenRocket, and play with the suggestions that you get to see which delay would work best.

If you don't have a club/vendor and your LHS doesn't stock them, I can recommend balsamaching.com, buyrocketmotors.com, erockets.biz, apogeerockets.com and hobbylinc.com for mail-order, all from personal experience. (Yes, I buy too much rocket stuff.) If you're just buying one or two motors, balsa machining has flat $6 shipping and might be your best bet. Just remember that 3rd class is _slow_ so you might want to order from whoever is geographically closest. I was just checking on some stuff, and hobbylinc appears to be out of stock on the Econojets, and balsa machining has them in stock.

Best of luck, and post some pics!

Hint: RMS = Reloads, LMS = single use that you still need to assemble, Econojet and DMS = prebuilt single use motor

Thought: If you are flying with a club, can you borrow somebody's casing?

Last edited:
I'll second the F27-4R... Good first flight. Enjoy. Here's my second one that I just finished. Still have decals to apply.CIMG4091.jpg

My question is, what field are you flying at? The field will determine what size motor you should fly in the rocket. If you can recover it successfully with an H or I motor, than any SU or RMS G and below motor will work.

As you move up in power with your rocketry, you will have to learn how to "fly the field". Starting now is a good thing.

Nice color scheme. What kind of decals?
Thanks... most folks don't choose blue for a rocket. I really like the darker blue metallic flake ones. And I have access to a vinyl cutter... was thinking of putting the name "Bruiser" in white lettering on the side. To go with the black and blue theme. :)

This is my sons Leviathan on a G77-7 Redline, Jolly logic 2 put it at 1337ft
Tyler LEviathan G77RL.jpg

Bumping this thread because I have a few questions about motor choice... I am planning to fly my Leviathan for the first time in August and I'm just going through the final assembly & paint.

I tend to build heavy (went with wood glue everywhere except for sizeable external fillets), and I added a 3-ring baffle + eyebolt to the coupler assembly among other mods (internal fillets, adding rail buttons). Thrustcurve is saying my single use F42's are unsafe based on a very heavy 750g weight estimate, but based on 42fps off the launch rod. Once I get final weight I think I will be safe because I doubt I will have added 300g to the Estes weight estimate for the Leviathan!!!

I also bought a G54 longburner. :wink: Depending on weather conditions and visibility, I might fly this bad boy as a second launch and put it up over 1800+!!!! To confirm final alt I am thinking about buying a Jolly Alt 2, but the issue with this one is that since I'm in Canada, it's SO SO expensive. $69 + $25 shipping at a 1.25 exchange rate is like $110 for an altimeter that I have more than a slight chance of losing. I also have the option of getting a Firefly for much cheaper, but that would require me to build a custom ebay and learn more about electronics.

What do you guys think? Maybe better to fly the two F motors I already have, and then build an ebay section to house the altimeter AND tracker if I'm going to push this one up to 2k? Could also learn dual deploy that way. I built the fin can as bombproof as I know how because I was thinking about eventually flying this on a 6G XL case to get my L1 - and it seems a shame to fly such a tank fincan on only F and G motors. I'd appreciate your guidance as this is only my second mid power build and not very experienced with electronics and deployment. My experience comes a lot from small model techniques with balsa fins and C6-5 motors. :p

Bumping this thread because I have a few questions about motor choice... I am planning to fly my Leviathan for the first time in August and I'm just going through the final assembly & paint.

I tend to build heavy (went with wood glue everywhere except for sizeable external fillets), and I added a 3-ring baffle + eyebolt to the coupler assembly among other mods (internal fillets, adding rail buttons). Thrustcurve is saying my single use F42's are unsafe based on a very heavy 750g weight estimate, but based on 42fps off the launch rod. Once I get final weight I think I will be safe because I doubt I will have added 300g to the Estes weight estimate for the Leviathan!!!

I also bought a G54 longburner. :wink: Depending on weather conditions and visibility, I might fly this bad boy as a second launch and put it up over 1800+!!!! To confirm final alt I am thinking about buying a Jolly Alt 2, but the issue with this one is that since I'm in Canada, it's SO SO expensive. $69 + $25 shipping at a 1.25 exchange rate is like $110 for an altimeter that I have more than a slight chance of losing. I also have the option of getting a Firefly for much cheaper, but that would require me to build a custom ebay and learn more about electronics.

What do you guys think? Maybe better to fly the two F motors I already have, and then build an ebay section to house the altimeter AND tracker if I'm going to push this one up to 2k? Could also learn dual deploy that way. I built the fin can as bombproof as I know how because I was thinking about eventually flying this on a 6G XL case to get my L1 - and it seems a shame to fly such a tank fincan on only F and G motors. I'd appreciate your guidance as this is only my second mid power build and not very experienced with electronics and deployment. My experience comes a lot from small model techniques with balsa fins and C6-5 motors. :p

I wouldn't worry about the F42. My leviathan is a bit over 20 oz (after a few rebuilds) and flies fine even on the slower F20/F27s.

The G54 should be a really nice flight. If you have a large enough field to recover single deploy, definitely go for it. You could also get your L1 on the same case- the H54 is only about 10 ns more, or you could fly another 3G faster burning H like the H133 or H90. If you can safely recover the G54 flight on your field, a 3G H should also be fine.

Regarding electronics, it would be pretty easy to mount a Firefly (and tracker if you want) in the nose cone and fly single deploy, or stretch the rocket by adding another tube, put the e-bay in the middle, and fly dual deploy. Both are very good options, but you may want to stick with smaller motors (3 or 4 grain) if you don't either add dual deploy or add a tracker.

Good luck on your first flight! The Leviathan is a great flyer.

I'd have a hard time believing you built it too heavy for the G54, however you still should probably do some sort of sim to get the right delay. Whether you should put it up on G vs. your Fs depends on the field and the wind. You gotta judge that. Again, a sim will give a rough idea on the drift if you plug a range of wind speeds in. I have brought multiple motors many times and picked one based on the prevailing conditions. Oh,yeah, I'm doing that this weekend...F53 vs G74. :)

It's cool that you can upgrade to dual deploy down the road.

I wouldn't worry about the F42. My leviathan is a bit over 20 oz (after a few rebuilds) and flies fine even on the slower F20/F27s.

The G54 should be a really nice flight. If you have a large enough field to recover single deploy, definitely go for it. You could also get your L1 on the same case- the H54 is only about 10 ns more, or you could fly another 3G faster burning H like the H133 or H90. If you can safely recover the G54 flight on your field, a 3G H should also be fine.

Regarding electronics, it would be pretty easy to mount a Firefly (and tracker if you want) in the nose cone and fly single deploy, or stretch the rocket by adding another tube, put the e-bay in the middle, and fly dual deploy. Both are very good options, but you may want to stick with smaller motors (3 or 4 grain) if you don't either add dual deploy or add a tracker.

Good luck on your first flight! The Leviathan is a great flyer.
The thing I am worried about with the G54RL is visibility. I would be flying it with a club so lots of pairs of eyes to track, but at 1800+ ft, it starts to get difficult to see deployment and descent. Any high altitude flight is a risk of losing the rocket and hardware and it seems like from reading a lot of threads around here, 2kft is pretty much the hard ceiling for single deploy and no tracker. How would you build a nose cone ebay? Cut the shoulder, use a bulkhead, and epoxy the Firefly right onto the wood? What would you do for plugins/arming and access?

I will play it by ear on launch day, since I will be bringing a few SU 29mm loads, as well as a VMAX F load for fun. It'll be a good experience for me to "fly the field".

I'd have a hard time believing you built it too heavy for the G54, however you still should probably do some sort of sim to get the right delay. Whether you should put it up on G vs. your Fs depends on the field and the wind. You gotta judge that. Again, a sim will give a rough idea on the drift if you plug a range of wind speeds in. I have brought multiple motors many times and picked one based on the prevailing conditions. Oh,yeah, I'm doing that this weekend...F53 vs G74. :)

It's cool that you can upgrade to dual deploy down the road.
Oh yeah, no way it will be too heavy for a G. Just the lower impulse F's are on the edge if I was to use a short rod. Thanks for the ideas about the sims - I had no idea that these pieces of software could take wind conditions and angles into account.

I've flown my Leviathan on F20, f27, F23, and never had a problem with it seeming under powered. I don't know the weight off the top of my head, but it is heavier than stock.

The thing I found with the single-use F42 was that the set delays were too far spread apart for my Leviathan. 4 seconds was too short, and 8 seconds too long, and nothing in between.

If the rocket is extra heavy, or winds are high, and you are worried about speed off the rail, but also don't want it to go too high, then a short-burn, high-thrust motor with low total impulse is in order. The F42 makes sense as long as the delay sims out ok, but maybe an F50 would be another option. Or if you have CTI hardware, an F59 should kick its butt off the pad in a hurry! That would be a real contrast to your other long-burn motor picks.

Jolly logic has some newer versions of the Altimeter2 out, and with people upgrading I would guess there are plenty of used older versions out there that you could pick up cheap, and shipping by a private party should be less than $25. Would you be open to a used one? The older display is not as nice, but they work fine.

Last edited:
The thing I am worried about with the G54RL is visibility. I would be flying it with a club so lots of pairs of eyes to track, but at 1800+ ft, it starts to get difficult to see deployment and descent. Any high altitude flight is a risk of losing the rocket and hardware and it seems like from reading a lot of threads around here, 2kft is pretty much the hard ceiling for single deploy and no tracker. How would you build a nose cone ebay? Cut the shoulder, use a bulkhead, and epoxy the Firefly right onto the wood? What would you do for plugins/arming and access?

I will play it by ear on launch day, since I will be bringing a few SU 29mm loads, as well as a VMAX F load for fun. It'll be a good experience for me to "fly the field".

That sounds like a good plan, but I wouldn't say 2K is the ceiling for needing dual deploy. A few weeks ago I flew a 3" fiberglass rocket only a bit longer than the Leviathan to 3150', motor deploy. I've also flown 4" and 5.5" rockets to about 3000', and am planning a single deploy flight to 4200', albeit with a tracker. There really isn't a hard ceiling for needing dual deploy or tracking, but you want to really consider the field conditions/ launch angles and make sure you're comfortable with how far the rocket will drift under the chute.

If it's windy and there are field obstacles you may want to fly just the F's (the Vmax F is great by the way, I've flown them in my Leviathan and Argent). However, on a really calm day with a good launch angle I flew to 2900' and recovered the rocket around 150' away, so if the weather/field conditions are good definitely consider the G54.

At 1800' you can usually see tracking smoke and the parachute deploy no problem, but if you're worried, definitely see if you can get some spotters to help.

For the nose cone ebay, John Coker has an excellent tutorial video (start around 9 minutes for the ebay): https://jcrocket.com/plastic-nose-mods.shtml
Basically, the normal technique is to cut the shoulder, and use a centering ring as an anchor point for a removable sled. You would need to cut custom centering rings, but it's fairly simple. If you don't want to do that, the Jolly Logic altimeters are probably the best option.

Last edited:
I built a leviathan with 3.5 oz nose weight - and a little too
Much epoxy - an F23 FJ was NOT a good option - only a few hundred feet and lawn darted. Careful with mid / small F's. It rocks on G77 though :)ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1436644035.546377.jpg

I've flown my Leviathan on F20, f27, F23, and never had a problem with it seeming under powered. I don't know the weight off the top of my head, but it is heavier than stock.

The thing I found with the single-use F42 was that the set delays were too far spread apart for my Leviathan. 4 seconds was too short, and 8 seconds too long, and nothing in between.

If the rocket is extra heavy, or winds are high, and you are worried about speed off the rail, but also don't want it to go too high, then a short-burn, high-thrust motor with low total impulse is in order. The F42 makes sense as long as the delay sims out ok, but maybe an F50 would be another option. Or if you have CTI hardware, an F59 should kick its butt off the pad in a hurry! That would be a real contrast to your other long-burn motor picks.

Jolly logic has some newer versions of the Altimeter2 out, and with people upgrading I would guess there are plenty of used older versions out there that you could pick up cheap, and shipping by a private party should be less than $25. Would you be open to a used one? The older display is not as nice, but they work fine.
I should be able to get a pre-paint weight in the next couple days. All I need to do is coat the bottom of the baffle with epoxy to protect the half moons, tie the shock cord on to the eyebolt, and epoxy the two halves together. I was planning to use the stock shock cord between the eyebolt and quick link, and then maybe 4-6ft extra of sewing elastic between the quick link and nose cone. Use standard Uni (Duncan) knots to attach the two ends and a nomex blanket. Are there better knots that would be more suited to attaching the shock cords?

I would be totally fine to get a used one but I don't think I'll have time between now and the planned flight date to make an ebay. I have some family visiting for the next few weeks which means very little rocketry time... And I'm going to try to finish a QCC Explorer by then as well, but that will be pretty much 100% stock and only fly on E reloads.

That sounds like a good plan, but I wouldn't say 2K is the ceiling for needing dual deploy. A few weeks ago I flew a 3" fiberglass rocket only a bit longer than the Leviathan to 3150', motor deploy. I've also flown 4" and 5.5" rockets to about 3000', and am planning a single deploy flight to 4200', albeit with a tracker. There really isn't a hard ceiling for needing dual deploy or tracking, but you want to really consider the field conditions/ launch angles and make sure you're comfortable with how far the rocket will drift under the chute.

If it's windy and there are field obstacles you may want to fly just the F's (the Vmax F is great by the way, I've flown them in my Leviathan and Argent). However, on a really calm day with a good launch angle I flew to 2900' and recovered the rocket around 150' away, so if the weather/field conditions are good definitely consider the G54.

At 1800' you can usually see tracking smoke and the parachute deploy no problem, but if you're worried, definitely see if you can get some spotters to help.

For the nose cone ebay, John Coker has an excellent tutorial video (start around 9 minutes for the ebay): https://jcrocket.com/plastic-nose-mods.shtml
Basically, the normal technique is to cut the shoulder, and use a centering ring as an anchor point for a removable sled. You would need to cut custom centering rings, but it's fairly simple. If you don't want to do that, the Jolly Logic altimeters are probably the best option.
Did you have a tracker in the 3k flights? I haven't been out to this launch site before so I will need to inspect and fly the field and conditions when I make it there. Thanks for the advice on the Vmax motor choice.

The nose-cone ebay would be pretty hard for me since I don't have the tools to cut custom centering rings. I am thinking that for August I will go single deploy with no altimeter, and then my next project will be to get a few sections of tubing, and stretch it to fly dual deploy with a 6GXL case and a full H. It's like two rockets without having to build another kit.

Did you have a tracker in the 3k flights? I haven't been out to this launch site before so I will need to inspect and fly the field and conditions when I make it there. Thanks for the advice on the Vmax motor choice.

The nose-cone ebay would be pretty hard for me since I don't have the tools to cut custom centering rings. I am thinking that for August I will go single deploy with no altimeter, and then my next project will be to get a few sections of tubing, and stretch it to fly dual deploy with a 6GXL case and a full H. It's like two rockets without having to build another kit.

The F120 is a very nice motor for teleportation flights! I've heard of delay issues with Vmax motors, but I've flown a few F120s with no issues and they are great for launching a PSII kit to a low altitude, especially in wind.

I've flown 8 flights in the 2200-3150 foot range, with no trackers so far. Most have either been 4" rockets or my 5.5" Mini Magg. However one of the sites I fly at has corn fields and I spent 1.5 hours looking for a flight where I hadn't angled the rail enough to avoid the corn (fortunately, someone else found the rocket as I never even spotted it after it dropped into the corn). If you have a wide open field with no obstacles 3000 ft should be ok, so definitely inspect and fly the field. Google Maps can help for this too. I'm planning a 4200 ft flight at an upcoming launch, but it'll have a GPS pet tracker which should help a lot if I lose sight of the rocket.

It's funny you mention the dual deploy upgrade as that's exactly what I'm planning for my Leviathan I ordered from the Estes sale (it will also have a 38mm mount :dark:). Balsa Machining has all the bulkhead/centering ring/coupler parts for the T300 tubing by the way. How long do you plan to stretch it?

Last edited:
Alright, so here's the pre paint picture. Mods include:
- Half moon baffle with eyebolt for SC attachment.
- No motor block
- Full epoxy on fincan
- Chute protector
- 1010 rail guides

I am going to eventually stretch by maybe 48" to make a dual deployment version. I know the rings and couplers are different for Estes tubing, the ones from Balsa machining fit?

Last edited:
Nice! The BMS parts for T300 tubing fit perfectly, I built an AV-Bay for my Leviathan that way.

My scion came in around 800g without the motor, huffed that one along on an H133. Same basic rocket, just fins put in different and longer body tubes. Just watch your CG, not much weight in the nose, and a big motor can pull it aft pretty fast.

Flew beautifully last weekend on the F Vmax... Unfortunately I made a stupid call and flew it on a G54RL longburn to 2000+ on a day where winds were close to 20kph at ground level. I figured with a good enough angle on the rail I'd be able to avoid those trees on the north end of the field, but I was wrong and ended up donating this rocket and a 3G CTI case.

Back