back to rocketry.Do you like the RCC3? Will the RRC3 be good for air start(s)?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inerax

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I took some time off due to a new baby and life getting in the way. I am looking to ramp back up the rocketry game. My level 3 project is about 30% of the way done but I think I want to get some new electronics and start up my air start project again. Right when I was getting out of the hobby the RCC3 was just about to launch. I really wanted one but never picked one up. I just had a couple questions about that hardware.

I want to do a single mid Imax motor to launch off the rod. I would then like to do a single air start of 2 or 4 motors.

How has the RCC3 worked out for this? Is the RCC3 a good altimeter?

I was going to run 2 RCC3 altimeters for redundancy and if I recall its required for level 3. Correct me if I'm wrong

In the end, I would like to use the same rocket to do 2 air starts, will the RCC3 do 2 separate events? This is not a deal breaker for the RCC3, I just want to make sure I know what hardware I have.

Below is my motor setup comming to life.

IOWty52.jpg

pCbjgyP.jpg

6dnfKhL.jpg

I love my RRC3. I use it in every flight. I love the interface that you use on the computer with it.

Use it. :)

The RRC3 is a fantastic altimeter. I now have four and they have operated flawlessly. The AUX channel is programmable and can be used for air starts. You will likely have to use two RRC3s to get two air starts on the same rocket. Be sure to get the dongle so you can use your computer to program the altimeter and download the data. You do need two altimeters for a L3 cert. Some may come on here and say to use different brands. I believe in using the same one. The manual is on their website and quite comprehensive regarding capabilities.

The RRC3 is a fantastic altimeter. I now have four and they have operated flawlessly. The AUX channel is programmable and can be used for air starts. You will likely have to use two RRC3s to get two air starts on the same rocket. Be sure to get the dongle so you can use your computer to program the altimeter and download the data. You do need two altimeters for a L3 cert. Some may come on here and say to use different brands. I believe in using the same one. The manual is on their website and quite comprehensive regarding capabilities.

May I ask why you have 4 of them?

I do believe in using the same brand but have heard both ways.

Thank you everyone for your time!

Most likely it is so he can preload 4 rockets with altimeters before a launch.

That was my guess. I did plan to do that because its a pain in the butt to move units from rocket to rocket.

To preload rockets like BB said. I could use more. I am prepping three rockets for a launch in a couple weeks and am still short one. One is a large L3 bird that uses two. One of the others is going to have a plugged motor so there is no motor ejection as a secondary. In this case I use two altimeters as I always fly with primary and secondary charges for both drogue and main.

There are good points for using the same, or different, altimeters. I like one style as I believe it reduces the possibility of operator error which appears to be the most common cause of something going wrong.

Back