Finished my 54mm MD Tomach AV bay

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpitfield

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This is for my CF Tomach, which I plan to use for my L2 attempt at LDRS.

This is my 4th AV bay with a StratoLogger 100 however it is the first with redundant electronics and using the new StratoLoggerCF. I am using both in this case along with the featherweight magnetic switch which I have used in all my other AV bays and love them. The sled was collaboratively designed by Nat AKA Wingarcher and myself then he cut on his CNC...awesome results. The blast caps are made by Garry Tortora and are top notch quality, these are his small size. Due to the proximity to the blast caps I had custom, knurled and slotted ends machined for ease of removing and installing the bulkhead. Wiring is all 20 gauge stranded and all terminals are very securely crimped. Each wire is a unique colour for ease of tracing. The wire studs are 316 stainless, through bulkhead and they are isolated from the CF bulkhead with a delrin insulator and delrin washers, no continuity is detected.

View attachment 258930

View attachment 258927

View attachment 258928

View attachment 258929

View attachment 258931

View attachment 258932

View attachment 258933

View attachment 258937

View attachment 258938

View attachment 258939

Last edited:
Very nice! I'm waiting for a longer coupler to finish my tomach's av-bay. Yours looks very nicely laid out and organized.

Very nice! I'm waiting for a longer coupler to finish my tomach's av-bay. Yours looks very nicely laid out and organized.

Thank you, a lot of thought went into the layout and design. My bay is the stock bay which is 8" long, the electronics sled is 6.5" from end to end but only 1" wide as I wanted to center it on the threaded rod.

Are you planning on attending LDRS?

Thank you, a lot of thought went into the layout and design. My bay is the stock bay which is 8" long, the electronics sled is 6.5" from end to end but only 1" wide as I wanted to center it on the threaded rod.

Are you planning on attending LDRS?

The bay that came with mine is 6", but I need an 8" one to make everything fit. I ordered the 8" CF coupler from Madcow, but forgot that CF would block the GPS signals of my TRS. As for LDRS, I wish, but a 39 hour drive is a little too much, haha.

The bay that came with mine is 6", but I need an 8" one to make everything fit. I ordered the 8" CF coupler from Madcow, but forgot that CF would block the GPS signals of my TRS. As for LDRS, I wish, but a 39 hour drive is a little too much, haha.

Ah just noticed you're a bit away, but then again you are much closer to Black Rock than me! I built a TRS for this but I am putting it in my nosecone just for the tracking part, that along with a ComSpec AT-2B. I also have a EggFinder TX but the frequency is fixed whereas the TRS I can change. The CF Tomach is all CF except the nosecone, even the nosecone coupler and bulkhead was but I swapped it out for FG, so I have a full FG nosecone. Although the coupler will still be inside the CF airframe for the first 3 inches.

What are you planning on doing for your check out launch? I was thinking of putting an I599 should be 2500', enough to test my electronics and deployment.

Wow Michael,,,,,
Tight.........
Neat......
Beautiful man.....
You are meticulous indeed.............
Really,, really clean bay Michael....
That took an amazing amount of thought to lay out...
I'm now doing a completely redundant bay in 3" and I'm cryin the blues,,, it's so tight !!!!!!!
I've got plenty of room compared to that...lol...

Really nice build man...

Teddy

Ah just noticed you're a bit away, but then again you are much closer to Black Rock than me! I built a TRS for this but I am putting it in my nosecone just for the tracking part, that along with a ComSpec AT-2B. I also have a EggFinder TX but the frequency is fixed whereas the TRS I can change. The CF Tomach is all CF except the nosecone, even the nosecone coupler and bulkhead was but I swapped it out for FG, so I have a full FG nosecone. Although the coupler will still be inside the CF airframe for the first 3 inches.

What are you planning on doing for your check out launch? I was thinking of putting an I599 should be 2500', enough to test my electronics and deployment.

Since I'm not L1 yet, I'm planning to test fly it on an AT G69, which will go about 800-1000ft, depending on the final weight. This should be good to test the electronics, although I will probably eject the main at apogee and then visually watch for the second charges at 400-ish ft. I have a 7ft launch tower, so it should be stable at launch.Scratch that, I forgot to override the mass in Openrocket. Looks like the first flight will be for my L1. The second First flight will be an AT I600 for my L1, to about 6000ft. And yes, I am planning on going to both Mudroc and XPRS in Black Rock, and get my L2 at Mudroc. An L935 should put it to about 21k ft! :cool: I plan on using the TRS for my main altimeter, with a StratologgerCF for backup. At Black Rock, there will be a BRB tracker in the nose too.

Here's a link to my build if you haven't seen it yet: My Madcow Tomach (Money Burner)

Last edited:
Since I'm not L1 yet, I'm planning to test fly it on an AT G69, which will go about 800-1000ft, depending on the final weight. This should be good to test the electronics, although I will probably eject the main at apogee and then visually watch for the second charges at 400-ish ft. I have a 7ft launch tower, so it should be stable at launch.Scratch that, I forgot to override the mass in Openrocket. Looks like the first flight will be for my L1. The second First flight will be an AT I600 for my L1, to about 6000ft. And yes, I am planning on going to both Mudroc and XPRS in Black Rock, and get my L2 at Mudroc. An L935 should put it to about 21k ft! :cool: I plan on using the TRS for my main altimeter, with a StratologgerCF for backup. At Black Rock, there will be a BRB tracker in the nose too.

Here's a link to my build if you haven't seen it yet: My Madcow Tomach (Money Burner)

I love the AT I600 RL, great motor. I launched it on my PML bull pup last URRF and the LCO commented that the motor was designed/used for launching bowling balls. My PML hit 5300 at .82-.83 mach.

I have been following your build thread and it looks great...looking forward to seeing some pics of your launch.

I love the AT I600 RL, great motor. I launched it on my PML bull pup last URRF and the LCO commented that the motor was designed/used for launching bowling balls. My PML hit 5300 at .82-.83 mach.

I have been following your build thread and it looks great...looking forward to seeing some pics of your launch.

Thanks. First launch will be April 4th at the Lunar launch. Hopefully everything goes well. I look forward to pics of your Tomach too.

Wow Michael,,,,,
Tight.........
Neat......
Beautiful man.....
You are meticulous indeed.............
Really,, really clean bay Michael....
That took an amazing amount of thought to lay out...
I'm now doing a completely redundant bay in 3" and I'm cryin the blues,,, it's so tight !!!!!!!
I've got plenty of room compared to that...lol...

Really nice build man...

Teddy

Hey Teddy,

Thank you

Yes it is a result of a lot of a bit of thought, scouring TRF and other sites for ideas, as well as discussions with more experienced rocketeers to come up with a design combining fully redundant electronics into a 54MM bay. My first AV bay for a 24mm BT was easier, but it was not redundant. I am just doing two redundant 3" AV bays now but I am using Proline's new dual AV bay lids, they are a work of art and solve the issue of how to run the igniter wires...so one less thing to think about.

Back