An odd question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
Does anybody have any suggestions for bending a Troll doll's arms? I need to bend them forward a little bit. I've thought about heating or cutting. I'm afraid enough heat to bend the arms might melt the hair. And I'm afraid cutting would just hack it up. Any ideas?

naked3.jpg

naked4.jpg

Depends on what kind of plastic was used. If it's cheap enough, you might be able to bend it a little with boiling water. Failing that, I would try getting the hair wet, tying it up out of the way (perhaps even wrapped in a damp paper towel), and then using a heat gun on the low setting (mine has two, low and high), if THAT doesn't work, then maybe bumping it up to high. But don't forget that patience is your friend. low heat, evenly applied to all sides may take a little time. High heat might go a bit faster but is more likely to cause something to melt in the wrong place before it achieves the desired effect.

Don't bend it!

The parachute lines will work fine looped around the arms as-is. Maybe a bit of hot-glue to hold the lines in place...

What you need is a bit bigger diameter rocket so "Pinkey" has a bit more room. :) :y: :)

I would say wrap some paper around its head and then some aluminum foil and heat the arms. I remember heating a few of them up back in the day, They were heated up beyond recognition! If you pull slowly on the arms after heating you can make them at least a foot long.

I grew up on a farm...

We used to cut the heads off chickens...

Trolls should not be a problem...

First, make sure they are thoughly contained...

Then, administer a "tazer to the temple"...

This will buy you about five minutes to complete the desired task...

Be forewarned, when they wake up, they will be pissed...:y:

It's been 45 years or so since I've been close to one of these and I'm not sure what kind of plastic is used these days but here's my uninformed suggestions:

Get a mandrel you could wrap the arms around or a tube with the ID a little smaller than you'd like the arms to end up at and secure the arms a little tighter than you want for the final position.
Try hot water first to see if the plastic will yield at that temperature. If not, kick it up to a low temp heat gun protecting the hair with a nomex chute protector or some such material.
If this or higher heat doesn't get the job done, whack the arms off and find an adhesive that will hold the plastic together in the position you're looking for.

I would assume you have a supply of these so experimentation is possible. Remember to post pictures of the failed attempts as well as the successful ones. An odd question requires odd postings.

I'm with cody on this one

Maybe heat with a torch gently, and then bend with pliers?

Nate

I'm with cody on this one

Maybe heat with a torch gently, and then bend with pliers?

Nate

Carefully with a propane torch would be the best way. You want pretty intense localized heat applied to the area you wish to bend. When softened a bit they will bend. A bic lighter will work but will blacken the area.

Using some of your suggestions, I decided to go for it. I wrapped the hair with a wet paper towel, and used a small butane torch to heat the arms, one at a time. As you can see, I was a bit too aggressive at first. But I found that if I kept the torch farther away and kept it moving, just as the plastic began to smoke a tiny bit, I could bend the arm. After bending both arms a bit, I got him to fit in the tube.

troll_15.jpg

troll_16.jpg

troll_17.jpg

troll_18.jpg

troll_19.jpg

troll_20.jpg

troll_21.jpg

Now to get the suit back on. The suit part was easy, but the helmet was a bit more challenging. The openings for the neck and the hair are both elasticized, so pulling the hair through was tough. I wrapped the paper towel around the hair again, and that helped. That and using a bent probe to reach in and pull the elastic out around the fat face. Success!

troll_22.jpg

troll_23.jpg

troll_24.jpg

troll_25.jpg

troll_26.jpg

troll_27.jpg

Why would I need an astronaut Troll doll to fit in a 3" clear acrylic tube, you might ask? Well, what else would I put in an upscale X-Ray? I mean honestly! :tongue:

troll_28.jpg

troll_29.jpg

In all serious, this just made my day. Thanks for the laugh and head shake, Captain.

In answer to your question, maybe an E.T. doll?

...Using some of your suggestions, I decided to go for it. I wrapped the hair with a wet paper towel, and used a small butane torch to heat the arms, one at a time. As you can see, I was a bit too aggressive at first...

Hope you have all of your fingers after that...

They are known to remove them with extreme prejudice...:jaw:

il_570xN.310011815.jpg

Last edited:
Please tell me this is going to fly at Snow Ranch. My sister was addicted to these trolls when she was little, and would find this hilarious.

In all serious, this just made my day. Thanks for the laugh and head shake, Captain.

In answer to your question, maybe an E.T. doll?

I never thought about ET. I did think about astronaut Barbie, but she's too tall. I bought an Alien (from the movie) figure, but it was too big. My friend Hanna suggested the Troll, and I think it's perfect!

Please tell me this is going to fly at Snow Ranch. My sister was addicted to these trolls when she was little, and would find this hilarious.

Yessir, on an H180W.

I've done some custom mods on figures in the past...I would've suggested holding the arm a proper distance to the side of a candle flame and rotating a bit until the plastic gets soft enough to bend or just cutting a wedge shape section out and regluing.

...or you can get a bigger Troll to twist the little troll's arm! :)

I've done some custom mods on figures in the past...I would've suggested holding the arm a proper distance to the side of a candle flame and rotating a bit until the plastic gets soft enough to bend or just cutting a wedge shape section out and regluing.

...or you can get a bigger Troll to twist the little troll's arm! :)

I'm a pretty big troll!

No matter how hard anyone could try they would never top your wit. Thanks for shedding some light on a dark day!

I grew up on a farm...

We used to cut the heads off chickens...

Trolls should not be a problem...

First, make sure they are thoughly contained...

Then, administer a "tazer to the temple"...

This will buy you about five minutes to complete the desired task...

Be forewarned, when they wake up, they will be pissed...:y:

Trolls in internet discussion forums don't usually make me smile. :)

-- Roger

No matter how hard anyone could try they would never top your wit. Thanks for shedding some light on a dark day!

Thanks tstone...

Sadly, many here have no sense of humor...

Rockets are ALL that matter...

Why would I need an astronaut Troll doll to fit in a 3" clear acrylic tube, you might ask? Well, what else would I put in an upscale X-Ray? I mean honestly! :tongue:

I can't argue with that.

Now dis was a good one Quake.....lol...
When I read the post about attaching the shroud lines under his arms just the way he is I was cracking up....

I was gonna say boiling water ,,, but it's a little late...

Teddy

I’m going to have nightmares from viewing this post.

attachment.php

You have a naked Kupi Doll with a bag over its head next to a burning torch!!!

What’s next?
A cordless electric drill?
A pneumatic nail gun?
Oh!! The humanity!!

I’m going to have nightmares from viewing this post.

You have a naked Kupi Doll with a bag over its head next to a burning torch!!!

What’s next?
A cordless electric drill?
A pneumatic nail gun?
Oh!! The humanity!!

Hey, she kept smiling the whole time I was burning her.

Back