Just A Simple 24mmMD Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the leading edges of the fins rounded nicely and cut out my skins for the tip to tip from .75oz. cloth.
Here is the weight of the airframe alone before I do the tip to tip.
48g.

24MM MD TRI PRE TTT Weight 2015-04-23 003.jpg

That's done.
Man, I need to find a better way to do this tip to tip thing. I have to stand and lean over it to see all the angles properly and it screws up my screwed up back. OUCH!

Tiptotip24mmmdtri 2015-04-23 001.jpg

I took it outside and started touching it with the sand paper, but just enough to get the fibers knocked down so that I could weigh it.
Tip to tipping added only 5g.

tiptotipafterweight24mmtrimd 2015-04-23 001.jpg

Got the job sanded a bit but it's too cold and crappy outside to do anymore today.:(

Cleaned up TTT 2015-04-24 002.jpg

Got a couple of ideas for the name of this...

Disappearing Act

and

Up n' Smoke

Last edited:
I got the sanding done then rubbed JB Weld into everything to seal it up. The JB Weld is an absolute dream to sand and will ensure the smoothest possible surface before I start primer.
I love using JB Weld for this!!!

Sealed with JB Weld 2015-04-24 001.jpg

Got a couple of ideas for the name of this...

Disappearing Act

and

Up n' Smoke

I'm definitely going to need a bigger field to fly it on pretty much anything 24mm, but I have an 18 to 24mm adapter that I'll use for its test flight in the park.

Got the JB Weld polished down nice today.:)
Now I can start getting ready to mount my Micro-Buttons. Maybe even make it to primer today!

Nice Fins 2015-04-24 001.jpgNice Fins 2015-04-24 002.jpgNice Fins 2015-04-24 004.jpg

Made and epoxied on my button mounts.
Also, here is the nose cone I'll be using on this build.

Button Mounts and NC 2015-04-25 001.jpgButton Mounts and NC 2015-04-25 002.jpgButton Mounts and NC 2015-04-25 005.jpg

When the epoxy was cured just enough to hold the button mounts fast I used Q-Tips dipped in Acetone to wipe away the excess epoxy. The results are perfect and as it cured I checked the alignment a few times and applied pressure.
I will finish the mounts off by adding the tiniest of fillets with JB Weld.
I can just slather it into the seam and then wipe away the excess with a Acetone soaked cottonball wrapped tightly.
The only side effect of the Acetone is that it also wipes away the bondo spot and glazing putty. That does'nt matter because it is going to get primed first anyway, and I'm supposed to pay attention to making the seams smooth on this one.:)
I have a the option to design an optional AV Bay for this one too if I feel like it. I could make it to fly with or without it.

Stuffed a spent motor casing in there so that I could imagine how it will fly.:wink:
It would be funny to just clear coat it and not paint it.
That would certainly keep the weight to a minumum.

24mmMDTRI 2015-04-25 003.jpg24mmMDTRI 2015-04-25 002.jpg24mmMDTRI 2015-04-25 001.jpg

Got the JB Weld smoothed into the button mounts. Once that cures I can do the primer, then if I need to build up the spot where the mounts meet the body tube I'll use a little bondo putty.
It looks like primer will likely happen tomorrow.
Guess I'll get started on making up a streamer and shock cord mount.:)

Button Mount Fillets 2015-04-26 002.jpgButton Mount Fillets 2015-04-26 001.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks!
I'm having a lot of fun building this one! I learned a lot about the tip to tip thing.

I'm going do its maiden flight on a B6-4, so I made sure my adapter fit nicely.

MD24mmTriwithadapter 2015-04-26 001.jpg

It never stopped raining so I took the rocket out to one of my sheds and sprayed primer on it in there. It's only about 50 Degrees out though so it will have to stay out there tonight. I opened the windows and doors to the shed so there will be a breeze to help dry it.

Yay! Primer.
Now I can see how much more sanding I have to do.:(
I used a spent E20 to make a place to run a piece of wire through to hang it for painting. Worked pretty well.
It still smelled slightly this morning so I hung from the curtain rod in front of the heater.:)

PRIMER 24mmtriMD 2015-04-27 001.jpg

Primer added as much weight as the tip to tip job, so for anyone that ever complains to me about FG Cloth adding weight, I'll just tell them that maybe they should'nt prime their rockets, as that adds at least as much weight.

After Tip to Tip:

24mmMDTRI 2015-04-25 005.jpg

After Primer:

Primer Heavier Than Glass TTT 2015-04-27 001.jpg

This is the phase of the builds that I hate!!!
I really want one of those super smooth finishes, and I'm into my second round of primer.
I know it will probably look fine in Pic's and obviously from a few feet away, but my hyper critical eye sees every slight imperfection.
It's actually looking pretty good so far, so that's just making me even more scrupulous.

I'm going to get a decal made for it that features the original UNO graphic from the card game.

UNO Cl.jpg

I need to go get more steel screws, but just to see how it will look on the rail I put some of the black plastic ones in.
I'll get her finished up on Friday and hopefully fly her this coming weekend.

First coat UNO 2015-04-28 001.jpgFirst coat UNO 2015-04-28 002.jpgFirst coat UNO 2015-04-28 003.jpg

I'll worry about getting a nice glassy finish after she has her first flight.

Last edited:
Huh. I never thought of using JB Weld for that. I'll try it. Thanks!

It make it much easier to sand evenly then trying to sand just the epoxy I use for the glass cloth.
I did sand the glass lightly first to let the JB lock onto it good.
If you do try it I think you'll be surprised how well it works.

I'm going to pick up some of the JB Quick on Friday to try instaed of the regular JB Weld for when I use it as a sandable filler like I did on this build.
It does'nt need to be strong, just sandable and fill nicely. The Quick would be more convenient to use like this.

Back