Just A Simple 24mmMD Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopRamen

SA-5
Reaction score
I have not done a build thread for awhile, as the un-primed/painted/finished models that clutter my living area are kinda' making wary of building.
It's been a particularly long Winter.:(
Not able to help myself, I had to busy my hands and mind, so I decided to start a 24mm Minimum diameter Build.
Not going to be anything special, no electronics(Yet), and nothing at all complicated.
Streamer recovery, and something to fly on everything from 18mm with an adapter up to the composite 24mm Motors.
I'm basing the design on pictures I saw of the Vaughn Brothers Extreme 24. Folks spoke highly of it, and seemed quite happy and rightfully proud to own them. It does look like a great kit, but sadly, the company is no longer producing Kits that I could find. I think I found that Discount Rocketry had VBR Parts/Components, and one kit called a "Bobby", or something silly like that.
I gathered that the Brand was quite revered, and since I missed the Bus on them, that I should have to just make one loosely based on their design. I will just use stuff I have on hand, and so this is just a fun Skill Level 1 rocket build.
It will of course get glassed, but it won't try to be anything special.

24mmMD 001.jpg

I cut out two sets of Fins. One Balsa and one Basswood. I'll use the glassed balsa set, but want to make the other fins too, and then I can make comparisons between the two to add to the learning experience, and be able to run different simulations for comparison to learn stuff and share the experience with all of you here.:)

MD24mmTRI 002.jpg
24mmMDTRI 002.jpg24mmMDTRI 001.jpg

Very cool! Any ideas about motors and do you plan to use some sort of altimeter?

Very cool! Any ideas about motors and do you plan to use some sort of altimeter?

If you click on the first Pic' I posted, it will enlarge, and you can see what I did my preliminary Sims for.
No altimeter planned for, but I have plenty of coupler stock, and can cut and retrofit for an AV Bay, or just build a second rocket with more of the stuff I have on hand. I love being at the point in my building skill where I can forsee approximately what I'm going to need for the following months worth of scratch building. BMS is my hero!:wink:

Got the Tube glassed in 2oz. cloth. Weighed it prior to see how little the glass adds.

24mmMDTRI 001.jpg

24mmMDTRI 002.jpg24mmMDTRI 003.jpg

Cool project and kudos for doing the 'glass. I've got both VB 24 and 38, both 'glassed, and they are high super durable flyers. Looking forward to updates.

Thanks JRL303.
Glassed tube weight. I added a whole 11 g.:) Still needs sanding and the edges sealed, but it's supposed to be nice outside tomorrow so I can do it then.

AfterGlassWeight24mmMD 001.jpg

Sealed the edges with Gorilla Brand CA and sanded everything lightly, then used Bondo Putty to smooth everything out. I then drizzled Super Thin CA down the inside walls of the tube to seal that too. Weight added, 4g.
Having everything as smooth as possible now will save me from having to use excessive amounts of primer later.

BondoFilled24mmMD 002.jpgBondoFilled24mmMD 001.jpg

Sadly, the Nose Cone I had been planning on using for this build is defective. The Shoulder is a removable plastic piece, and they got the dimensions or whatever screwed up, making it off center.:mad:

Wonky Nose Cone 002.jpg:(

I may try to build up the side that does'nt match with cardstock and CA.
I will need more Nose Cones soon anyway, so I'll likely just order a new one.

Balsa VS. Basswood before glassing weights:

Centuri Weights 002.jpgCenturi Weights 003.jpg

Both sets are now on my granite surface plate under a very large Book and 50lbs. of weight for the night on their first side of 2oz. cloth.

The Basswood set will be going on a 29mm build at a later date.

Last edited:
I got the fins sanded and sealed the leading and trailing edges with super thin CA. Then I smeared bondo putty on them and sanded them smooth to fill any surface discrepancies.
Then my computer got screwed up and I had to bring it to the computer place to get fixed, so I lost my motivation to do any more work on rockets today.:(:(

I'll probably put them on the BT tomorrow.

Smooth Fins 002.jpg

Last edited:
Looks awesome!

...You know, I'm given to believe that CTI makes a 24mm G motor... Just saying. :p

Looks awesome!

...You know, I'm given to believe that CTI makes a 24mm G motor... Just saying. :p

Thanks!
They do, but it's way above my means. I ran a Sim for the Aerotch G55 which is'nt available anymore apparently and it got to 1380fps.
This rocket will likely be my first to break Mach someday. There was apparently an F72 Single Use that is no longer available that would also send it above Mach 1.
I'm still prospecting for Fields large enough to fly this on composites right now, that we haven't made it that far yet.

I did some revision to the OR Sim, as it was heavier in Sim world than it is in reality.

I did some revision to the OR Sim, as it was heavier in Sim world than it is in reality.

That's always a nice discovery. :)

Right up there with forgetting to airfoil the fins and seeing the boost in altitude after you change it. :p

That's always a nice discovery. :)

Right up there with forgetting to airfoil the fins and seeing the boost in altitude after you change it. :p

Yeah, I typically do not airfoil my fins, but I always check in the Sim to see what would happen if I did.:)

I'm kinda' at a stall right now with this build, as I need to re-up on some materials before I can continue.
Also, I have decided to use micro-buttons and the Makerbeam Rail, so I need to order those.

In the meanwhile I have some other builds that need my attention, so I expect to have this one flyable in about a month.
It will definitely require a larger field than my usual spot, so I need to go talk to some locals about using their fields.

Ordered my Makerbeam Rails yesterday.:) Went with the 1500mm length.
Now to go order some Micro-Buttons.:)

I'm still waiting on some Micro-Buttons and my Makerbeam 1500mm Rail, but I got some .75oz glass cloth today so I can do the tip to tip on the fins.

Got some sanding done on one of the fins. I'm going to round the edges before I tip to tip them.
I also finally decided on a nose cone and re ran all the sims. On a G55 it would break Mach 1 and go to 5400ft.

If you were in this neck of the woods, I'd donate a CTI G to see this thing teleport.

Back