Kudos to Discount Rocketry

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exactimator

Reaction score
My kids (who aren’t all that interested in rocketry) actually liked my latest rocket so much they asked for their own with custom paint jobs. I happened to have two rockets in the build pile, an MDRM and an Estes Nike Smoke (I bought from Conman a little while ago). I assembled and painted per their requests.

R1.jpg

We had a local LPR and MPR launch yesterday, so we headed to the field. My 7 year old son’s Nike launched flawlessly. My 5 year old daughter’s MDRM suffered a spectacular CATO and burned up on the pad. Needless to say, she was pretty sad.

R2.jpg

While I rushed to prep another rocket to get us back on the horse, she and my son visited Discount Rocketry’s trailer. One of them mentioned the rocket burning up. Discount didn't sell me the rocket that died nor the motor that CATO'd. But they pulled a rocket from their storage (a gently used, assembled, painted, and decal’d Estes Patriot). It had a loose fin and was missing a shock cord and chute. By the time I realized what was happening, they were doing a field repair of the fin and pulled a shock cord from stock and got it installed quickly. I bought motors and a chute and we had a perfect launch.

My daughter absolutely LOVES it. “It looks like ‘Merica!” she says, as she holds it and runs around making wooshing noises.

It was a simple enough gesture, but it was above and beyond the call and quickly turned my daughter’s view of rocketry around. So there’s one more possible future rocketeer.

Many thanks to Discount.

https://www.discountrocketry.com/

Last edited:
I've known Jim & Ruby ever since they owned Discount Rocketry ( I also knew Kevin Funk the original owner of Discount Rocketry ) they are so of the nicest people and will help without asking,

That's a great story. My 3-yr-old son likes rockets, but he's just too young to really get it. My 5-yr-old daughter just doesn't dig it. Maybe some day.

I was surprised when my daughter asked for a rocket and was happy to build her one. I'm interested to see how long it lasts. She carried the patriot around with her when we got home, which is promising.

Jim and Ruby are good people. And Jim has the fastest CA bottles in the West! :bangbang:

Yes Jim and Ruby are the nicest folks. Jim is a creative genius, have you seen his kit designs?

My 10 year old nephew loves Ruby! One of the first things he wants to do when we get to a ROC launch is go say hi! She and Jim are great people who are great with the kids!

Jerome :)

Thanks for the great story! Means even more to me since I've recently been having issue dealing with a major rocket manufacturer and I'm looking to turn more funds to people and companies like this.

I'll also see if I can bring along any older small rockets I have to give to kids in situations like this as well...quite a bummer to have a CATO or lost rocket and that can happen to anyone.

Just a follow up on my experience with a Discount Rocketry order vs. other recent new order experiences in the past month or so:

Discount Rocketry: I got responses to my numerous inquiries quickly (same day or next day). In fact, I felt bad after sending so many emails (including a request to use two visa gift cards as well as a credit card - likely as high maintenance as a customer can get!); however Ruby was very patient, accommodating and polite...very much appreciated! I ordered two items and there was a problem with one of the items; however they made sure to make up for the mistake, which was really nice of them (everyone makes mistakes, but few really try hard to make up for them).
Rating: :):):):):)

Other recent order experiences:

1) Webstore #1: Great prices, placed order, got instant email reply thanking me for my order. I sent email asking about whether they saw my order note. No reply. I sent again. No reply. 2 weeks...sent email asking about status. No answer. I also submitted website Customer Service inquiry...no answer. Found a forum suggestion to Text, so I Texted...no answer. Seeking Paypal refund. To add to the frustration, the website home page notes "Customer Service is our #1 Goal!"
Rating: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

2) Webstore #2 with local store: Saw item, was going to place order, but then found out store was nearby. I went to the store and asked about the item; however the price was more...owner said that the prices went up and he hadn't had a chance to update the website yet. However he honored the price and I had a good time talking with him. Not all parts were in stock for the item, so I picked up the parts he had and was going to get the other parts shipped. I do like supporting local stores and it was great talking to the owner, so this was a good experience, but shows how some smaller webstores can have info not kept up to date.
Rating: :):):)

3) Webstore #3: Great and responsive owner...got lots of emails back and forth and was very accommodating, which was awesome. I placed my order on May 17. Since then I've sent I believe 2 emails asking for updates and each time got a very quick response that it was being looked into, but no actual update or estimate yet. I'll have to send email update inquiry #3 soon.
Rating: :facepalm:

4) Webstore #4: Had a great sale and I placed an order late at night; however the next morning I noticed that my emailed invoice Total was higher than the cost of the items. I suspected maybe Hazmat was added, but it wasn't listed out. I emailed right away at 8AM since I didn't want to be charged $27 extra. No response all day, but late that night I posted in the dealer's sale forum about the Total issue. Owner posted early the next morning that it was a Hazmat fee showing up, but I wouldn't be charged and that the item shipped. I was very appreciative of the response and update, so good purchase so far, but strange scare up front.
Rating: :):):):)

So that's my experiences for the past month. Your results may vary, so always be wary. :p

Thanks again to Ruby at Discount Rocketry!!!
Ruby's Rating: :D:D:D:D:D

Last edited:
Back