L2 Fail

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Well I failed my L2, and actually I'm quite pleased. I was all ready to go on a CTI 6GXL L730P, ready to hit Mach 1+ and 10,000 ft, the RSO called Air Traffic Control to make sure all was OK and they turned it down. Told us we couldn't go over 6,500 feet as that was what was on the NOTAM. The NOTAM actually stated a ceiling of 6,500 with permission to go to 16,000 feet with their consent when required which worked for last year, but this year a private company has taken over and they have changed the rules and the NOTAM must state the max ceiling first, followed by the ceiling that most flights will be under.

Anyway, I felt I had to fly something as there were a few people in attendance that I'd invited along, so I reluctantly unloaded the L730P :( and put a J210 with ejection charge removed in it's place. Launch went well, drogue popped out at apogee, but the main failed to deploy. Turns out the main charge went off but was too small, I stupidly forgot to add more bp to the ejection charge to make up for the huge void that was left when switching from a 6GXL to a 2G case.

Anyway the rocket was fine, absolutely no damage whatsoever, and I was actually quite happy because it means that I can still go Mach1+ and 10,000 feet on my level 2 when I attempt it again. So all is good.

I'll hopefully be able to post some pics soon.

I'm glad to hear the recovery was fine even if the attempt failed. Good luck next time.

It sounds like you aren't really out anything with this, and now you'll get to make the attempt the way you wanted to in the first place. Good luck next time!

It sounds like you aren't really out anything with this, and now you'll get to make the attempt the way you wanted to in the first place. Good luck next time!

Yes, you're right. This time it was good to fail. It would have been a crime to get a level 2 cert. on that rocket with a J, and I'd probably have regretted it for the rest of my rocketry career.

Glad the rocket was recovered ok. Please bring your L load to BigEARS at the start of May...!

Sorry to hear that.

Makes my humble L1 worries and preparations look a bit pathetic really. Much in line with the rocket I'm attempting it with.

There's always a bright side however. At least it gives me a bit more time to catch up ��.

Good luck on the next attempt.

SO.

Some pictures from this launch.

Prepping for launch:
DPP_0917.jpg

Some flight pics.
DPP_0919.jpgDPP_0920.jpgDPP_0921.jpgDPP_0922.jpg

Nice to meet you on Sunday, hopefully you'll get to fly it on the L next time. I can email you the high res pictures if you want.

Yes, you're right. This time it was good to fail. It would have been a crime to get a level 2 cert. on that rocket with a J, and I'd probably have regretted it for the rest of my rocketry career.

No, shouldn't have any reason to regret any attempt that is a success. You should be aware that if your rocket has "unwitnessed" events, meaning no one sees it under a nominal main chute descent, they could conceiveably give you
a DNF even if you find the rocket in a "fly again" state. I've read a TAP write words to that effect. NAR might be different if you radio track the rocket to its recovery site and find it deployed/recovered O.K. They might sign-off on it.

I've had several small DD rockets go up on J's with totally unwitnessed events and landings except for a point on a GPS map while GPS tracking. The radio also showed that the descent slowed with presumed drogue deployment and even slower descent with the presumed unwitnessed main deployments. Went to the rockets and they obviously recovered fine. It's food for thought if attempting "big sky" on a certification attempt.

Me, I needed to certify L2 ASAP so I would be able to fly certified motors at Ex/Reasearch events as dictated in the old TRA rules. I did a Rocksim 3FNC special I zipped off the program and it worked with a J350-M apogee only without any drilling. I then took my time flying H, I, J's and an L DD's at my leisure and I didn't have to worry about whether it was "certified only" or "Ex only" launch. I don't feel any "lesser" about my experience. Pulling off one DD L2 cert with an L does not make one "experienced". Might
make you cocky but you will have snafu's and various degrees of failures in the future. Learn to accept that. Good luck. Kurt

Great news to hear it was unscathed. Sounds like my 1st L1 attempt, came down on drogue no damage.

Glad to hear you get the opportunity to do it your way and push your limits, nice build BTW.

Some pictures from this launch.

Prepping for launch:
View attachment 258984

Some flight pics.
View attachment 258985View attachment 258986View attachment 258987View attachment 258988

Nice to meet you on Sunday, hopefully you'll get to fly it on the L next time. I can email you the high res pictures if you want.

Good to meet you too. I must say I thought the whole day was great and the L2 attempt was probably a fitting finale.
Thanks for posting these, I'd definitely like some Hi-Res pics, I'll send you my email address.
Seeing those pics reminds that I didn't say it suffered from weather cocking as well because I'd added weight to the nose to counteract the weight of the Motor, when I rocksimed it after the flight on the J210 it was 2.2x over stable.

Back